Is there anything wrong with this horse? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Is there anything wrong with this horse?

This is a discussion on Is there anything wrong with this horse? within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-09-2008, 12:09 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pepperduck    
    First off, what a great price, they also would consider a lease for no less than a year too. So you could also free lease it to see if it really is the right horse for you. I am curious too as to why she is so cheap. It makes me wonder if there is an underlying problem. If you are serious about this horse, I would really recommend a vet check in this case.

    Videos:
    1: This jump makes me a little nervous. She really hangs her legs over the jump, and looks like she may have rubbed against it.. which is dangerous in jumping that height over a solid fence. If you do get her, work with her on those knees before trying this yourself.

    3: She looks so green over this crossrail! She doesn't really come in straight and then she quickly speeds up to pop over it. I wouldn't be jumping this horse 3'3" cross country. All that said, she does look like she would be a cute prospect.
    It does look like she rubbed the top log. I have never done cross country and right now I'm only jumping about 2'6'' so that shouldn't be a problem yet. Thanks for the comment!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-09-2008, 12:15 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove    
    She's not registered which could be a reason for her price.
    I would say take her for a trial. Get her vet checked and see how you like her. If I had room I would be all over that.
    I don't know much about registering... what does that effect?
         
        12-09-2008, 12:16 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomorrow    
    I can say her rider doesn't really know how to ride a horse. Banging on it's back, pulling in the mouth. And it looks like her saddle moves forward.
    I've got to agree with you there. =S
         
        12-09-2008, 12:19 PM
      #14
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Equuestriaan    
    I don't know much about registering... what does that effect?
    Registered horses are just generally more expensive than grade horses which is why I said that. If you were to breed her, she would need to be registered for her offspring to be registered. She would also be able to show in breed shows (Ie: APHA, AQHA). Like say if she was APHA, you could show her at APHA shows so that she could earn points, etc.

    You may want to check to see if she could be registered and they just haven't done it.
         
        12-09-2008, 12:21 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    That first jump makes me nervous. There was really no reason for her to hang her legs so badly. If you wanted her for X-country, I'd say no way. I have a feeling that she's a little more green--or poorly trained--then they let on. I also don't think she has 'great jumping form'--most of the time, it looks like she's 'playing' with the jump and that's the only reason for her exaggerated snap of the legs. Otherwise... she might jump like the first video. Eek. (and for hunters... paints don't usually do well if you wanted to be competitive.)

    I guess it's just a question of 'how much work are you willing to put into a horse?' She's not going to get any good dressage scores the way she is now, and with her head/evading the bit because of poor hands, it's going to take talented, soft hands to bring her back for any kind of serious showing (other then 4-H).

    It also doesn't make sense for you to get a pony at your age--you'll grow out of her and then you'll look awkward--and trust me, a lot of judges won't pin you when your look big compared to your horse! For longevity's sake, I would suggest looking at something a little bigger, so you can keep her. I'll say this for a lot of people--when you get your first genuine horse, you never want to sell that one to 'move up'! (I know I still have my first horse!)

    I like her color, though. I DO have a soft spot for paints. But if I were you, I'd look for something a bit bigger, and steer clear of a cheap 'awesome' horse that they clearly can't get sold. There is one truth about this market--bad horses are having a HORRIBLE time in getting sold. /Good/ horses are still going for the same expensive prices!

    One last thing--she might not have her height card, which means she may not be a true pony--then you'll just have a really tiny horse, and if you ever did want to sell her--it's really hard to do.
         
        12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
      #16
    Yearling
    Okay I am going to have to disagree a little bit. I think paints make wonderful hunters as I showed one for several years and won everything. Also she may need some training but she has a lot of heart. If you are a petite 15/16 I say stay on a large pony as long as you can. Ponies are wonderful! I still ride them and I am 41. Leasing is probably a great idea. I am from Easton Md, right near where she is, if I still lived there I would probably go get her :)
         
        12-09-2008, 12:33 PM
      #17
    Yearling
    Ps yes make sure you get her measured if you buy her to make sure she can show large pony
         
        12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
      #18
    Started
    I want her, she is way cute! And 1000 is nothing ... I agree that it's prob for a quick sale and cause she isn't registered. But if you love her and like they way she rides/moves do it! The lease is a great ides, let them know you want to do that and then buy her .. if you don't buy her, will you send her to me in CA ;)
         
        12-09-2008, 02:22 PM
      #19
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mayfieldk    
    That first jump makes me nervous. There was really no reason for her to hang her legs so badly. If you wanted her for X-country, I'd say no way. I have a feeling that she's a little more green--or poorly trained--then they let on. I also don't think she has 'great jumping form'--most of the time, it looks like she's 'playing' with the jump and that's the only reason for her exaggerated snap of the legs. Otherwise... she might jump like the first video. Eek. (and for hunters... paints don't usually do well if you wanted to be competitive.)
    I don't do cross country, never had, so I'm not quite worried about that. If I did it every just for fun I'd stick to really small stuff, like 18 inches or something. XD Also, I don't plan on being competitive. Maybe some fun shows now and then but I don't care if I place, really.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mayfieldk    
    It also doesn't make sense for you to get a pony at your age--you'll grow out of her and then you'll look awkward--and trust me, a lot of judges won't pin you when your look big compared to your horse! For longevity's sake, I would suggest looking at something a little bigger, so you can keep her. I'll say this for a lot of people--when you get your first genuine horse, you never want to sell that one to 'move up'! (I know I still have my first horse!)
    I'm about 5' and I'm probably not going to grow over 5'2'' - 5'3''. I've always been more comfortable on large ponies than on horses. I don't think that will be an issue, but I'll have to see how far down my legs go and all that. If it doesn't look like I'll fit the pony for many more years I'll look at something bigger.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mayfieldk    
    I like her color, though. I DO have a soft spot for paints. But if I were you, I'd look for something a bit bigger, and steer clear of a cheap 'awesome' horse that they clearly can't get sold. There is one truth about this market--bad horses are having a HORRIBLE time in getting sold. /Good/ horses are still going for the same expensive prices!
    I love paints, too, and palominos. XD I guess I'll just have to try her out and see if she's as awesome as I think! ...if my parents go for it. Which may not even happen. D=
         
        12-09-2008, 02:24 PM
      #20
    Trained
    I hope your parents like her.
    If they won't let you buy her maybe they will just let you long term lease her?
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What am I doing wrong? xcountryrider Horse Riding Critique 14 12-20-2008 10:14 PM
    So I don't know what's wrong. librahorse94 Jumping 4 10-26-2008 12:00 AM
    I was wrong Kentucky General Off Topic Discussion 21 09-24-2008 12:26 AM
    I think I may be doing something wrong.. ? Snapple122 Horse Talk 3 08-24-2008 09:50 PM
    The RIGHT horse came at the WRONG time. AngelGurl Horse Riding Critique 11 05-07-2008 02:53 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0