Video of me and whisks - The Horse Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Oxer
  • 1 Post By whiskeynoo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-24-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boreland
Posts: 1,226
• Horses: 3
Video of me and whisks

I know we are far from amazing and have many faults, but i would like to hear some feedback on where we can improve and what i can do to help my horse. I've even left in the bad jumps and bits when whisks was being a turd.
i don't intend to do anything fancy or do any shows, this is purely for both of our benefit and for my pleasure.
This video was recorded today, and is the first time whisks has ever been ridden with a flash. Hopefully this will work.
Whisks | Facebook
whiskeynoo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 368
• Horses: 1
I just wanted to say first that I think you both have a tremendous amount of potential!

From what I can see, your leg is very forward at times throwing you off balance. I personally am not a jumper but for any form of English riding you need to control you legs! I noticed this sort of rocking back and forth motion from your take off to your landing point where i looked like you lost balance and slammed down on the horse.

But overall I think you two look good.
smguidotti is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boreland
Posts: 1,226
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguidotti View Post
I just wanted to say first that I think you both have a tremendous amount of potential!

From what I can see, your leg is very forward at times throwing you off balance. I personally am not a jumper but for any form of English riding you need to control you legs! I noticed this sort of rocking back and forth motion from your take off to your landing point where i looked like you lost balance and slammed down on the horse.

But overall I think you two look good.
Thanks, do you think my leg position would be any better if i upped my stirrups a hole? what can i do to fix it?
At the start of the video she was a bit spooky and being a butt cause the she spotted a deer across the river lol
I'm also not sure about the landings, like i watch it back and compare it to other video's of people who know what they're doing and its all so smooth, whereas i'm pretty messy, and a few times whisks caught me off guard and sorta left me behind.
whiskeynoo is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 368
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeynoo View Post
Thanks, do you think my leg position would be any better if i upped my stirrups a hole? what can i do to fix it?
At the start of the video she was a bit spooky and being a butt cause the she spotted a deer across the river lol
I'm also not sure about the landings, like i watch it back and compare it to other video's of people who know what they're doing and its all so smooth, whereas i'm pretty messy, and a few times whisks caught me off guard and sorta left me behind.
It's hard for me to tell from the video -- Eventually, yes you do want a shorter stirrup, however, doing so may throw you off balance even more at this stage.
Can you stand in the saddle? If no, definitely raise them.
Here is a good representation of two-point/half seat position


Heals down. Back strait. You need to find your point of balance on your horse (It looks like jumping comes naturally to you) but you just have some rough edges so to speak lol You have good release which is surprising because normally people are the opposite in my experience!

Anyway, another tip to help keep your back strait is flex your diaphragm. This will help your back from hollowing out and keep you from falling forward when you land.

She is leaving you behind at times, but I associate this with you asking too much of her. She looks a bit nervous going into the jump. Even though she is willing to do it, consider dialing it down a notch so that she does not rush through the motions because it can become a habit that is also throwing you off.

If YOU know your postion is off you can't expect HER to feel comfortable because she feels EVERYTHING you are doing.

I would set up ground poles if you have them available and make her TROT several times before cantering. Do some half halts too. Maybe even trot to the jump, then ask her to walk over it so she is paying attention to you. This will also benefit your position too.

EVENTUALLY IT WILL ALL COME TOGETHER :)

But seriously, Youtube everything! If don't have access to a trainer opt for a virtual one instead -- Youtube taught me geometry and how to half halt lol

Good luck !
smguidotti is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,400
• Horses: 1
were this my horse, I'd want him to have his attention on me before i went jumping him around. He's not listening, not paying attention to you, looking around, and dragging you over the jumps. I'd have this horse going nicely, quietly, and with his ears on me, before i'd be jumping. Just my opinion.
tinyliny and skittlesfirehawk like this.

Life seems mighty precious, when there's less of it to waste.
Oxer is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 11-25-2012, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boreland
Posts: 1,226
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguidotti View Post
It's hard for me to tell from the video -- Eventually, yes you do want a shorter stirrup, however, doing so may throw you off balance even more at this stage.
Can you stand in the saddle? If no, definitely raise them.
Here is a good representation of two-point/half seat position


Heals down. Back strait. You need to find your point of balance on your horse (It looks like jumping comes naturally to you) but you just have some rough edges so to speak lol You have good release which is surprising because normally people are the opposite in my experience!

Anyway, another tip to help keep your back strait is flex your diaphragm. This will help your back from hollowing out and keep you from falling forward when you land.

She is leaving you behind at times, but I associate this with you asking too much of her. She looks a bit nervous going into the jump. Even though she is willing to do it, consider dialing it down a notch so that she does not rush through the motions because it can become a habit that is also throwing you off.

If YOU know your postion is off you can't expect HER to feel comfortable because she feels EVERYTHING you are doing.

I would set up ground poles if you have them available and make her TROT several times before cantering. Do some half halts too. Maybe even trot to the jump, then ask her to walk over it so she is paying attention to you. This will also benefit your position too.

EVENTUALLY IT WILL ALL COME TOGETHER :)

But seriously, Youtube everything! If don't have access to a trainer opt for a virtual one instead -- Youtube taught me geometry and how to half halt lol

Good luck !
Thank you so much, you have been very helpful and i appreciate it alot.
I can stand up in my stirrups just fine so i won't adjust them (yet lol), i think i'll do a lot more walking and trotting work with her until we both feel comfortable.
I don't have ground poles but i figure the bits and pieces i use as jumps will work fine? (long thin planks of wood)
TO YOUTUBE!
whiskeynoo is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boreland
Posts: 1,226
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxer View Post
were this my horse, I'd want him to have his attention on me before i went jumping him around. He's not listening, not paying attention to you, looking around, and dragging you over the jumps. I'd have this horse going nicely, quietly, and with his ears on me, before i'd be jumping. Just my opinion.
Thanks for your reply. We're going to be doing a lot more trotting and walking before we do any more jumps. I will admit to rushing things a bit for us for doing something we never usually do.
whiskeynoo is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 368
• Horses: 1
Where I used to live I did not have access to ground poles are good equipment either so I learned to make do.

For mock ground poles take those slats of wood you were using as jumps and lay them down then if you have any bricks or large rocks etc to raise one end wood up about 5 inches so the horse will clearly see them raised helps too.

So like, if that didn't make sense, for example, if you have three "ground poles" lift one side up on the first pole, then on the middle pole raise the alternate side up and so on.

It just sucks when the horse lands on the plank and snaps it!

Good luck!
smguidotti is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 174
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxer View Post
were this my horse, I'd want him to have his attention on me before i went jumping him around. He's not listening, not paying attention to you, looking around, and dragging you over the jumps. I'd have this horse going nicely, quietly, and with his ears on me, before i'd be jumping. Just my opinion.
I agree, and since he was so spooky and it seemed like you were alone, I would wear a helmet. I always wear a helmet when I'm alone, because you just never know.
DixieKate is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boreland
Posts: 1,226
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieKate View Post
I agree, and since he was so spooky and it seemed like you were alone, I would wear a helmet. I always wear a helmet when I'm alone, because you just never know.
She was only really spooked at the start due to seeing a deer go crashing through a bush at the other side of the river. I'm usually pretty good with my hat however sometimes I have my days (tsk tsk) I'll try get a video set up this weekend when I get home ( and i'll remember my hat)
DixieKate likes this.
whiskeynoo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
please critique jumping video ! [audition video] gypsygirl Horse Riding Critique 16 11-13-2012 06:03 PM
First time whisks had her teeth done! whiskeynoo Horse Health 0 10-11-2012 06:17 PM
My boyfriend on whisks :P whiskeynoo Horse Pictures 6 04-26-2012 09:50 PM
Me riding whisks bareback whiskeynoo Horse Videos 0 07-13-2011 11:01 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome