Are we Getting Better? :]
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Are we Getting Better? :]

This is a discussion on Are we Getting Better? :] within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-27-2011, 11:19 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Are we Getting Better? :]

    I think we are! Of course, it's still a work in progress, but how does he look? Please ignore me, I HATE tall boots, but have to wear them again since shows are coming up. So needless to say, my legs are awful. I know, no need to critique me :] Just how do you think we are doing? I feel like we are having a lot better of contact and more in-sync.

    If you didnt see my other thread, here is the first video:


    And here is now! Sorry if it's still processing, I just uploaded it:


    Oh and I know about his head needing to be looking in and not out, and being able to see his inside eyelash. Im workin' on it! :P It's slowly getting better.
    Something has finally clicked and I've realized what it is I've been doing on the circle to get him to collect himself up, and have been able to transfer that around the arena for once! Unfortunately all I got for videos is the circles. Ill get more next time! And Critique of jumping next time.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-28-2011, 02:17 AM
      #2
    Weanling
    Hi! I'm no expert, but since no one has responded to ya, I'll throw in my 2 cents ;) The second video does look better, but I would say your reins look pretty loose and your horse is going behind the vertical a lot, possibly to avoid the contact (?) My trainer has me work on the circle a lot too (bringing it in and out to work on his bend and engagement). That's all that really stood out to me and my non-expertness. Hopefully this will bump your post and more experienced riders will post! :) Good luck and you guys look like a great team!
         
        02-28-2011, 03:42 AM
      #3
    Foal
    Definitely improvement, you're moving with your pony much better. Try riding without stirrups to strenghten your leg. I knoticed in a few parts of your video that you had too much foot in your stirrup so remember to sink down into your heels and don't pinch with your knee as you post. Its coming along, get your instructor to help you with that bending and connection, its something that will come with time and practice
         
        02-28-2011, 09:57 AM
      #4
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MicKey73    
    Hi! I'm no expert, but since no one has responded to ya, I'll throw in my 2 cents ;) The second video does look better, but I would say your reins look pretty loose and your horse is going behind the vertical a lot, possibly to avoid the contact (?) My trainer has me work on the circle a lot too (bringing it in and out to work on his bend and engagement). That's all that really stood out to me and my non-expertness. Hopefully this will bump your post and more experienced riders will post! :) Good luck and you guys look like a great team!
    Thanks, yeah, we're working on the reins :P it doesn't look pretty, but somehow we jump and can do everything just find with that loose of rein, even though he's so spunky! Lol who knows, it's still a work in progress. As for him going behind the vertical, he just does that. I don't think it's him trying to avoid the bit, because he even does this in a halter sometimes! I just don't get the feeling that he is, but I'm not sure.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        02-28-2011, 09:59 AM
      #5
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosie1    
    Definitely improvement, you're moving with your pony much better. Try riding without stirrups to strenghten your leg. I knoticed in a few parts of your video that you had too much foot in your stirrup so remember to sink down into your heels and don't pinch with your knee as you post. Its coming along, get your instructor to help you with that bending and connection, its something that will come with time and practice
    Thanks, yeah, we've only had one lesson so far of no stirrup work. I just hate hate hate my tall boots haha. Well, love but hate. They're just beyond slippery and they slide everywhere, so I'm straining to keep my lower leg still, in half chaps it's not as bad, I promise! :P
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    ....I almost think lowering your stirrup a bit would help your leg come back? ...at least for flat work maybe. I hate how slippery boots are, but that MIGHT help!

    Yes, I do see improvement....good work! Compared to the first video, he's not popping up so much with his head, there seems to be a better line of communication between the two of you in this one...more focus I think is the way to describe it, besides him looking out which you mentioned :)
         
        02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
      #7
    Showing
    MUCH better, he is no longer hollowed out, and you too look grat. Keep it up!
         
        02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
      #8
    Showing
    I definitely see a lot of improvement. I absolutely adore your little horse, and I hate you for being so skinny you guys look really good together. I think you look great, but your position seems a little wobbly.

    When you're riding the trot, you need to make sure you really put all your weight into your lower leg, and you focus on keep that leg contact on your horse. I would also close your hip just a touch and take a lot more contact. You can see in the video, your reins are much to lose which tells me, you're not holding enough contact. I always had that feel, that if your horse were to spook, even at the trot, you would come right off. You have a lovely looking position, but it's not a very strong.

    PUSH your horse forward. You have such a gorgeous flowing little horse, show it off! You really need to push her/him forward into that contact.
         
        02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
      #9
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amlalriiee    
    ....I almost think lowering your stirrup a bit would help your leg come back? ...at least for flat work maybe. I hate how slippery boots are, but that MIGHT help!

    Yes, I do see improvement....good work! Compared to the first video, he's not popping up so much with his head, there seems to be a better line of communication between the two of you in this one...more focus I think is the way to describe it, besides him looking out which you mentioned :)
    Ah yes, I would lower my stirrup, but it's as long as they go. Hopefully they're getting a new saddle since we're showing soon, so that will help.
    Thanks for the Critique!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by equiniphile    
    MUCH better, he is no longer hollowed out, and you too look grat. Keep it up!
    Thanks, we will!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My2Geldings    
    I definitely see a lot of improvement. I absolutely adore your little horse, and I hate you for being so skinny you guys look really good together. I think you look great, but your position seems a little wobbly.

    When you're riding the trot, you need to make sure you really put all your weight into your lower leg, and you focus on keep that leg contact on your horse. I would also close your hip just a touch and take a lot more contact. You can see in the video, your reins are much to lose which tells me, you're not holding enough contact. I always had that feel, that if your horse were to spook, even at the trot, you would come right off. You have a lovely looking position, but it's not a very strong.

    PUSH your horse forward. You have such a gorgeous flowing little horse, show it off! You really need to push her/him forward into that contact.
    Haha he's not mine, but I adore him too! I -wish- he was mine! :P
    Thanks, yeah. I'm still getting my seat back to where it used to be a couple years ago! But we're getting there! It's a work in progress.
    Can you explain what you mean by close your hip? I don't understand that part!
    And will do! We're working on getting him to extend and get flowey, and I can slowly feel it. As my trainer says,"You can explain, explain, explain, but the rider wont get it correct until they truly -feel- what your describing."

    I agree, my legs are definitely what my weakest point is, so my trainer said we will be doing a lot of sitting trot, two-point work, no stirrup work (Ergh.) to strengthen that. And Im going to try to start doing leg exercises at home to strengthen my muscles, as well as core.
         
        02-28-2011, 11:12 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    ^^ sounds like you have a good plan in place, and a good support system--it will be great when you can take that first video and compare it to where you'll be in a few months!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0