weight check?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

weight check?

This is a discussion on weight check? within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-24-2011, 06:10 PM
      #1
    Yearling
    weight check?

    Hows lilys weight looking? :)

    I've been exercising her about 4 days a week, for almost 3 weeks now.
    She was pretttyyy fat, a few people asked if she was in foal lol
    We've now had to get her a smaller girth, and a new saddle :P
    I realise she's still fat, but we're getting there lol
    The first 3 pictures are from the first week, and the rest are from this week
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-24-2011, 06:45 PM
      #2
    Foal
    Looks like you've made some progress. She still has a bit of a 'hay' belly but that will come off with time. If she were my horse I'd work her back muscles more. When she gets them strengthened her back will be stronger and will pull it up so she doesn't have as much of a sway to her back.If you get her rounded and underneath herself while you ride that will work her back and butt muscles and that will make a big difference there for ya. Build them up and she'll look even better than she does now!! Good job!!
         
        03-25-2011, 05:59 AM
      #3
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Texana    
    Looks like you've made some progress. She still has a bit of a 'hay' belly but that will come off with time. If she were my horse I'd work her back muscles more. When she gets them strengthened her back will be stronger and will pull it up so she doesn't have as much of a sway to her back.If you get her rounded and underneath herself while you ride that will work her back and butt muscles and that will make a big difference there for ya. Build them up and she'll look even better than she does now!! Good job!!
    it probably doesnt help that she's had 2 foals in the past, so it kinda just hangs & has given her that sway back. But we're getting their slowly. I was planning on doing alot of hill work with her to get those muscles, but im not at the point were I can trust her out on a long 2 hour ride yet (the closest hill is about an hours road work away lol) im still working her in the paddock just getting used to her. She's not an easy horse to ride lol Thank you :) im glad we've made some sort of progress
         
        03-25-2011, 02:18 PM
      #4
    Foal
    Oh, poor girl. I've had two children myself. I know where she coming from....lol. Um, some things to try at home....keeping her rounded on her back and backing up. Those two things will help build those muscles and get her ready for an up hill adventure. And you can work on those in comfort of your own arena till your ready for the open road. ;)
         
        03-25-2011, 02:22 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Texana    
    Oh, poor girl. I've had two children myself. I know where she coming from....lol. Um, some things to try at home....keeping her rounded on her back and backing up. Those two things will help build those muscles and get her ready for an up hill adventure. And you can work on those in comfort of your own arena till your ready for the open road. ;)
    hahahaha. Can't say im looking forward to having kids.
    Thank you, i'll try that with her. As far as I know she doesnt know how to back up with a rider yet...that'll be another thing to teach lol could be interesting because she's a known rearer when she gets confused >.<
    I plan on taking her to an open field about 10 minutes down the road some time this week, just so I can know what to expect when I take her to "exciting" places lol her owner says she doesnt get fizzy out on rides. Only one way to find out I guess.
         
        03-25-2011, 02:58 PM
      #6
    Started
    Kawaii- If you can't get to any hills you could put down some ground poles and let her walk/trot over those. That'll help lift her back up. She's a pretty girl!
         
        03-25-2011, 03:01 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Thanks, i'll do that :)
    Will jumping her help in anway?
    She's an apparent "ex showjumper" so I've wanted to try jumping her for a while. I havent been able to work up the guts to do it yet though lol

    & yeah, she's certainly the prettiest horse I've ever looked after lol very different compared to the usual bays, blacks & chestnuts I've been around.
         
        03-25-2011, 03:08 PM
      #8
    Started
    I'm not a jumper, but I think you would need to build her muscles up some more to jump so that she won't hurt herself. See if there's someone in your area that could give you lessons or keep an eye on you if you want to start jumping and you're not feeling 100% confident about it.
         
        03-25-2011, 03:10 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barrelracer892    
    I'm not a jumper, but I think you would need to build her muscles up some more to jump so that she won't hurt herself. See if there's someone in your area that could give you lessons or keep an eye on you if you want to start jumping and you're not feeling 100% confident about it.
    nobody at our yard really does jumping, mostly just happy hackers.
    & I can't afford a trainer of any sort, I guess I can get my cousin to give me a couple of lessons. I doubt i'll be jumping her for a while though, at least not anything over like 2ft3 lol
         
        03-25-2011, 03:13 PM
      #10
    Started
    Just be sure not to get hurt! I would miss looking at pictures of your pretty girl!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Weight check please maddiemaisie Horse Riding Critique 22 09-17-2012 05:49 AM
    Over-check VS. Side-check? SpiritedLittleCopperSpots Miniature Horses 1 06-07-2010 03:06 AM
    VET CHECK KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Health 21 12-03-2008 07:25 PM
    check this out. jazzyrider Horse Breeds 4 03-30-2008 03:44 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0