What do you think..potential purchase
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

What do you think..potential purchase

This is a discussion on What do you think..potential purchase within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Stiff back end of the horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-13-2011, 01:20 AM
  #1
Weanling
What do you think..potential purchase

At 47 seconds he is shown under saddle.

He is in my price range. No injuries. Is fairly young, but looks like he has been taught the basics. I am looking for lower level dressage prospects.

Any opinions would be great.


He is about 150 miles away, so I would love some experienced critiques before I go up there. Thank you.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-13-2011, 01:49 AM
  #2
Green Broke
He looks like a lovely horse Starlite but I am going to be brutally honest here:

1.) He looks off in the stifles, particularly the left.

2.) He has no reach and and a slightly mincing stride in the back end (perhaps related to the stifles) which makes him look uneven as his front end is quite reasonable.

3.) The way he has been trained absolutely reeks of too much time in side reins: He is very rarely on the bit, often he is behind the bit evading contact or sucking back from the bit - a very very bad thing for dressage. I would prefer to see a horse in front of the vertical while they are young so that they can move correctly.

4.) Judging from the way they free jump, I have several questions about this facility! Watching him jump obstacles that were beyond his scope at this stage in his training and then seeing him hit the ground only to have his head jerked around by the lunge line made me cringe!

Nice horse but no. 1 is a dealbreaker for me. No's 2,3 and 4 can be dealt with if you choose to but stifle problems are all sorts of hell that you don't need!

JMO.
     
    03-13-2011, 01:54 AM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahver    
He looks like a lovely horse Starlite but I am going to be brutally honest here:

1.) He looks off in the stifles, particularly the left.

2.) He has no reach and and a slightly mincing stride in the back end (perhaps related to the stifles) which makes him look uneven as his front end is quite reasonable.

3.) The way he has been trained absolutely reeks of too much time in side reins: He is very rarely on the bit, often he is behind the bit evading contact or sucking back from the bit - a very very bad thing for dressage. I would prefer to see a horse in front of the vertical while they are young so that they can move correctly.

4.) Judging from the way they free jump, I have several questions about this facility! Watching him jump obstacles that were beyond his scope at this stage in his training and then seeing him hit the ground only to have his head jerked around by the lunge line made me cringe!

Nice horse but no. 1 is a dealbreaker for me. No's 2,3 and 4 can be dealt with if you choose to but stifle problems are all sorts of hell that you don't need!

JMO.
Thank you thank you thank you. The "free jumping" part made me absolutely shudder as well. Number 1 confuses me, would you mind elaborating? And I agree..I don't need anything that causes me hell.
     
    03-13-2011, 03:56 AM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite    
Number 1 confuses me, would you mind elaborating?
Could his stifle/mincey gate in the rear be because he is behind the bit?
     
    03-13-2011, 04:03 AM
  #5
Banned
I too think that he might have a stifle issue, it is at its most noticeable in canter, the horse is not tracking up at all.
     
    03-13-2011, 04:26 AM
  #6
Super Moderator
Sarah was right on all points except I dont' really know if the lack of stride under is a stifle issue or just being ridden behind th ebit and on the forehand.
I was also amazed at the free jumping ad the way he was cut short on his landing. I figure Sarah has a better eye for these things that I do, but perhaps she can explain, 'cause I would like to know how to see these things.
     
    03-13-2011, 04:40 AM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
Sarah was right on all points except I dont' really know if the lack of stride under is a stifle issue or just being ridden behind th ebit and on the forehand.
I was also amazed at the free jumping ad the way he was cut short on his landing. I figure Sarah has a better eye for these things that I do, but perhaps she can explain, 'cause I would like to know how to see these things.
Me too. The ripping of his head upon landing is what got me shaking my head.. Instinctively it just seemed wrong. The stifle once pointed out to me, looks very very stiff like he is avoiding really extending it at all but unfortunately I do not have the experience to notice these things myself yet.

I am getting really worried I am never going to find a good horse in my price range.
     
    03-13-2011, 08:43 AM
  #8
Trained
I would pass too. Like Sarah pointed out, there is something going on with his back end. If it is an unsoundness issue or a training issue I don't have the eye to tell, but it is enough for me to think it is too much of a worry.
     
    03-13-2011, 09:48 AM
  #9
Showing
To me, price would play a role in how I would proceed with this horse. If he was in the $500 - $2,000 range, I might pass. If he is above the $2,000 mark and I was serious enough about him, I would have him vetted.

While I agree that there is something off about his back end, I'm more inclined to think it is his rider then a physical problem since you say he is green and young.
     
    03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses    
To me, price would play a role in how I would proceed with this horse. If he was in the $500 - $2,000 range, I might pass. If he is above the $2,000 mark and I was serious enough about him, I would have him vetted.

While I agree that there is something off about his back end, I'm more inclined to think it is his rider then a physical problem since you say he is green and young.
He is over the $500-2000 range, but not by much. I am not over the moon for him, so it isn't a huge disappointment. I am just glad I have an extra set of "eyes" here that can help me with these kinds of things, because as I said before I don't have the experience to pick it out myself yet. Video's are such a huge help, I live in a rural area and so far have been able to eliminate several horses that otherwise I would have driven several hundred miles to see.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Went to look at a potential purchase today! equestrian Horse Talk 8 10-15-2010 10:02 AM
Potential purchase: APHA filly JumpingTheMoon Horse Riding Critique 13 01-27-2010 10:38 PM
Potential purchase. Weanling friesian wb. Kayty Horse Riding Critique 32 01-05-2010 11:14 PM
Potential Purchase- Paint horse 16.3 SarahHershey Horse Riding Critique 19 12-29-2009 01:58 PM
Please critque potential purchase appylover31803 Horse Riding Critique 16 08-13-2008 02:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0