Yay! I cantered X
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding Critique

Yay! I cantered X

This is a discussion on Yay! I cantered X within the Horse Riding Critique forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Hula halt in horse riding
  • Controlled canter

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-07-2012, 03:52 PM
  #1
Started
Yay! I cantered X

On Thursday I went for a Free ride and X was really energetic so after a little lungeing, I rode him and he listened to me beautifully when I asked for the canter. I was able to push him and do a strong, fast canter (felt like we were flying by everything)... although in the very end I got a little overwhelmed with the speed and stopped him because I felt I was loosing some control. Pity I don't have that ride on video. (For those that don't know my case, I couldn't keep him cantering for more than a few strides before)

Today I had a lesson and I cantered him again. Was really happy with the outcome because I wanted a more relaxed and controlled canter than Thursday's. It almost looks like he's asleep though! He likes to stop in corners and at a few times he goes back to a trot but I manage to bring him back. (hooray!) Except in the end because my trainer told me to just keep trotting him.

Anyhow, I was trying to keep him at a slow, collected canter, but I see now on the video that it was more slow than collected. The whole time I was pushing with my legs and *trying* to recycle his energy to collect him and stop him from speeding. Didn't really work all that much I see. Any tips? Do I need to make him go faster to be more collected?

cantering X on a chilly day - YouTube
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-07-2012, 05:52 PM
  #2
Showing
Great job!!! :) Getting him more on the bit and utilizing half halts would make him more round and "collected." Also at the canter, shouldn't your arms follow your horse's motion? Yours are quite still and not giving.

Keep it up! =)
     
    01-07-2012, 06:34 PM
  #3
Started
Quote:
Also at the canter, shouldn't your arms follow your horse's motion? Yours are quite still and not giving.
I was giving a little, just enough to not hit him in the mouth and make him stop, but no I wasn't completely giving as you said. ;) When I really do, it really encourages him to speed up. :) It's what was keeping him so slow and steady despite my leg.
     
    01-07-2012, 07:01 PM
  #4
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalgo13    
I was giving a little, just enough to not hit him in the mouth and make him stop, but no I wasn't completely giving as you said. ;) When I really do, it really encourages him to speed up. :) It's what was keeping him so slow and steady despite my leg.
I think if you wanted that collected gait you were looking for, you'd have to put him on the bit and follow with your arms, encourage him with your seat (not drive him.. but stay with him) and your leg.. but "catch" the impulsion you've asked for with half halts.

You control the speed based on the drive from your seat and your legs, at any gait, though halt halts would help keep the speed regulated too as long as you timed them right. I know that's true for walk and trot.

It's a lot of work and it'll probably take awhile, but you're doing so well already! I myself am learning to canter, as is my horse.. but that's what I've noticed when my friend canters her horse. He's very collected and always round and engaged.

I can't wait to see your progress!
     
    01-07-2012, 07:58 PM
  #5
Started
Quote:
I think if you wanted that collected gait you were looking for, you'd have to put him on the bit and follow with your arms, encourage him with your seat (not drive him.. but stay with him) and your leg.. but "catch" the impulsion you've asked for with half halts.

You control the speed based on the drive from your seat and your legs, at any gait, though halt halts would help keep the speed regulated too as long as you timed them right. I know that's true for walk and trot.
Thanks this is r4ally useful information.

Quote:
but that's what I've noticed when my friend canters her horse. He's very collected and always round and engaged.
Ah yes it's always really nice to be able to watch someone more advanced. You learn a lot. Thanks again for the info.
     
    01-07-2012, 08:01 PM
  #6
Showing
You're welcome!

Yes I am blessed.. I always get to watch her ride while I'm warming up for my lesson, and she's always willing to help me and my horse out.

Have fun!
     
    01-07-2012, 08:11 PM
  #7
Super Moderator
YOu are really making progress! This was one of your best canter rounds ever. I only watched the video once because I didn't need to see it twice to find a bunch of stuff to comment on. YOu are getting much better at staying with the horse, and are beginning to be an active rider not a passenger. Much better.

You still tend to drive too much with your upper body, kind of throwing it back and forth like you are going to pump him into more energy. Since the upper body and the lower body move seperately horseback, you are moving your upper too much. Your lower must be freer to move more with the horse so that your upper can stay still.
YOu know how a hula dance has a perfectly still upper body while the lower is going to town? YOu need to hula a bit, here. (just my wierd example) But as you are cantering, think more of having an anchor in your core and you swing the horse for and back with your lower leg and pelvis. Of course, HE is doing the work but if you want to increase his energy , you think of bringing him up to you and in front of you, as if you are hanging from a monkey bar and swinging your lower body up and forward using your abs.

Bring him to you, push him forward and front of you (like squeezing toothpaste out) and you upper body rides like a Queen on top.
     
    01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
  #8
Started
Don't worry about not getting a really slow and collected canter at first. It takes alot of work from both of you to get that.
     
    01-07-2012, 08:41 PM
  #9
Started
Thanks Tiny. Yes I know I still can't stop moving my upper body. That's my next step. :/ Hopefully by the summer you'll be telling me I've corrected that. I know how (theoretically) but when it comes to putting it into actions, I can't seem to. Then I am also really concentrated on him and keeping him moving. Probably the day I'll be capable of worrying a little less on him and more on me, I'll be able to perfect it.
     
    01-07-2012, 08:43 PM
  #10
Started
Quote:
Don't worry about not getting a really slow and collected canter at first. It takes alot of work from both of you to get that.
Thanks jumanji. I know it will take time, although I'm still pretty happy about getting him "somewhat" there. ;)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
We cantered!! OTTBLover Horse Riding 3 07-26-2011 12:36 PM
omg i cantered!!!! dizzynurse Horse Riding 7 09-09-2010 03:04 AM
We Cantered Our First Jumps Together! ChingazMyBoy Jumping 16 07-25-2009 04:53 AM
We Cantered!! 7Ponies Western Riding 6 06-17-2009 12:48 AM
Cantered bareback! Britt Horse Training 8 04-26-2009 06:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0