4 beat lope
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

4 beat lope

This is a discussion on 4 beat lope within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • How to stop your horse from four beating
  • TWH lope versus canter

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-15-2012, 04:32 PM
  #1
Banned
4 beat lope

Hi Everyone,

Need YOUR opinions as to why a horse would four beat lope....on the longe or under saddle....

Also, how would you go about getting the horse to return to a 3 beat lope?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-15-2012, 04:43 PM
  #2
Trained
3 beats is a "lope", ("canter", for English riders)
4 beats is a gallop, in both worlds
Keep lunging, and when your horse begins to tire, you'll get the 3 beats (lope) again.
Also, lunge at all 3 gaits and teach them voice commands for walk, trot and canter. Another exercise is a spiral. Try starting in a very small circle, then play out the line a few feet at a time until the circle is at it's largest, then pull back a few feet at a time to do a spiral. Horses will collect when they have tight turns.
     
    10-15-2012, 04:57 PM
  #3
Trained
^ Haha, clearly you have never ridden a horse that 4-beated the canter! It happens when that one leg just lags behind, turning what should be a smooth 3 beat canter into a choppy 4 beat canter.

I used to school a horse who did this. The best thing I could do was get him forward forward forward! It's caused by a lack of energy and impulsion, so you need to create that energy. It's a lot of work but certainly rewarding.

Small disclaimer: You should be sure that the horse isn't "lagging" due to pain or stiffness in his hocks, stifles, or hips. Sometimes it's just uncomfortable to bring the leg forward that quickly, and it feels like it "sticks."
tinyliny and Muppetgirl like this.
     
    10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
  #4
Banned
Haha thanks Corporal! No I'm talking about a slow lope, with FOUR beats....it's an undesirable lope, but many horses do it.....it used to be the 'fad' a long time ago in WP. Some horse just do it, and some don't. Even my guy does it sometimes and it's awful!!!

I was curious as to the mechanics of the four beat, why a horse would do it, and how to train it out or avoid it. It's real ugly to sit too.....
     
    10-15-2012, 05:02 PM
  #5
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccil0ve    
^ Haha, clearly you have never ridden a horse that 4-beated the canter!
Pretty funny-- I DID laugh!
I have ridden a 4-beat "canter". It certainly can be from chronic lameness, but if the horse isn't lame, then it comes from weak hindquarters. There are many many exercises to fix that. I have ALSO owned TWH's. When they don't like where you are riding, you get to experience the "broken washing machine." It feels the same as the 4-beat lope.
     
    10-16-2012, 09:11 PM
  #6
Trained
Some horses just have such a naturally terrible canter - if you want a competition prospect, a horse with a poor canter is generally one to avoid.
If the horse is a naturally good, correct mover the second thing to look at for 4 beating in canter is soreness. If a shoulder, back or hind end is out, the canter quality will suffer and often become 4 beat.

After pain, its the rider's fault for not riding/working the horse forward. In Dressage we see 4 beat canters a lot when riders try to bring the horse into collection by pulling on the reins and slowing the canter, rather than quickening the hind legs and shortening the stride by riding the hind legs up and quick.
To resolve this, the horse just needs to be ridden super forward for a while. We're talking get up off it's back and just let it roll along in canter while the rider has some lessons on how to ride forward!
     
    10-16-2012, 09:52 PM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty    
Some horses just have such a naturally terrible canter - if you want a competition prospect, a horse with a poor canter is generally one to avoid.
If the horse is a naturally good, correct mover the second thing to look at for 4 beating in canter is soreness. If a shoulder, back or hind end is out, the canter quality will suffer and often become 4 beat.

After pain, its the rider's fault for not riding/working the horse forward. In Dressage we see 4 beat canters a lot when riders try to bring the horse into collection by pulling on the reins and slowing the canter, rather than quickening the hind legs and shortening the stride by riding the hind legs up and quick.
To resolve this, the horse just needs to be ridden super forward for a while. We're talking get up off it's back and just let it roll along in canter while the rider has some lessons on how to ride forward!
Perfect! My guy will four beat under saddle - sometimes, and it feels awful! He has a nice rocking horse lope, but since the weather changed and we are in the indoor arena I think he feels a little cramped! When I feel him four beat I keep after him to return to a three beat. It's not all the time, but I don't like it! I've only just put my spurs back on.....and it hasn't happened for the last couple of rides.

He also does it intermittently on the longe, and I get after him for it and make him stride out.

I've been working on collection with him, picking up the reins and applying leg at a trot to push him up into the bit and as soon as he gives me a few strides of 'soft and round' I release, same with the lope....but I think the impulsion is lacking at the lope while trying to collect him, guess my legs need to work a bit harder!
I don't think he is very strong over his top line yet, even though he appears to be that way (very solid strong looking horse - a little fat)

Thanks
     
    10-16-2012, 10:24 PM
  #8
Trained
If you're struggling to keep the forward 'button', scrap any ideas of collection and fix it. Before thinking about collected work, you need to make sure that all basics are firmly established, and that you horse will willingly remain in front of your leg. You certainly do not want to be kicking him on every stride just to keep him going - if that's the case, collection will never come.
     
    10-17-2012, 06:44 PM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty    
If you're struggling to keep the forward 'button', scrap any ideas of collection and fix it. Before thinking about collected work, you need to make sure that all basics are firmly established, and that you horse will willingly remain in front of your leg. You certainly do not want to be kicking him on every stride just to keep him going - if that's the case, collection will never come.
Haha have no problem with the impulsion, it's actually when I pick him up with my legs and drive him into the bridle to ask for collection and softness for a few strides just to get him to carry himself a bit more its when I release him that he just kind of goes all over the place, not all the time though, he's extremely soft and pliable you might say, just seems to do this four beat intermittently......
I sometimes wonder if he's not getting tired and just kind of falls apart.....I will keep working at it.....I'm sure it will come together.....eventually
     
    10-17-2012, 07:15 PM
  #10
Trained
Is it a genuine in front of the leg, forwardness though, or a 'horse wants to go fast' forwardness? Biiiiiiiiiiig difference and the latter is a frequent problem with a lot of riders of hot and ottb types, thinking the horse is going forward when it is just over reactive and running away.

The other cause can be unbalance, if the horse isn't in perfect balance and you try to bring it into collection, it can 4 beat. Again, sending the horse forward into an open hand will remedy this, with lots of work on balance.

Unless the horse has bad paces or their conformation dictates that they will naturally 4 beat, it is a forwardness/balance problem.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I slow down my horses lope? And tips on sitting the lope better? hc23881 Western Pleasure 4 04-16-2012 04:01 PM
3 vs 4 beat tempest Western Riding 51 07-08-2010 01:39 PM
What was that? Did I just beat you? Mhm, I think I did! SorrelHorse Horse Shows 22 04-21-2010 08:38 PM
Wow - you can't beat that. themacpack Horse Talk 9 07-21-2009 04:25 PM
1/2 a beat off Kirsti Arndt English Riding 7 08-06-2008 12:29 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0