Ariat vs. Mountain Horse Ice winter paddock boots - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Ariat vs. Mountain Horse Ice winter paddock boots

This is a discussion on Ariat vs. Mountain Horse Ice winter paddock boots within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Mountain horse boots have got bigger
  • Mountain horse winter ice paddock boot

Like Tree16Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-04-2014, 02:55 AM
  #11
Weanling
The only way to know if the stirrup fits is to try. Good news is western is much easier to swap out.

Cotton is bad, as it holds moisture. The nylon wicks sweat out to the wool, which dries faster. Boys in construction taught me 'The Sock System'. The military uses it, too.

I bought a knock-off boot with a -40C rating and put a thermal insole in it, reflective side down. Works like a charm.

As far as heels go, it's not perfect, but there's still something there.

On warmer days, I skip the nylon sock or just use cotton.
Posted via Mobile Device
horselessmom likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-04-2014, 03:08 AM
  #12
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemms    
The only way to know if the stirrup fits is to try. Good news is western is much easier to swap out.

Cotton is bad, as it holds moisture. The nylon wicks sweat out to the wool, which dries faster. Boys in construction taught me 'The Sock System'. The military uses it, too.

I bought a knock-off boot with a -40C rating and put a thermal insole in it, reflective side down. Works like a charm.

As far as heels go, it's not perfect, but there's still something there.

On warmer days, I skip the nylon sock or just use cotton.
Posted via Mobile Device
Perfect! Thanks so much! And I've been avoiding nylon like plague!

If I can dig myself out tomorrow, I'll check some stores.

The problem with knock-offs and cheaper boots in general is that they tend to be rougher on the inside (bigger seems and such) and this kid has some sensory issues so she can't wear what most people find comfortable. Plus wide feet. But it is worth trying. If I can find a cheap(er) option for her, I'd get her something for this winter, as her current Ariats are getting tighter, she said. That probably contributed to colder feet as well.

Another problem they are already phasing out winter boots!
     
    01-04-2014, 11:28 AM
  #13
Weanling
If the big winter boot search fails, I would suggest Mark's Work Wearhouse, if you have one... A little more $ than the knock-offs but still much less than actual riding boots. Their house brand, Wind River, is great quality. They have smaller, lace-up winter boots that still offer great warmth.

They also have all the socks needed for 'The Sock System'.
Posted via Mobile Device
horselessmom likes this.
     
    01-04-2014, 11:45 AM
  #14
Weanling
I have Mountain Horse winters and they are super warm! Too warm for training hard inside! I have to use my regular riding boots because the winter ones are too hot. I will use them when I am outside or trail riding.
horselessmom likes this.
     
    01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
  #15
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemms    
If the big winter boot search fails, I would suggest Mark's Work Wearhouse, if you have one... A little more $ than the knock-offs but still much less than actual riding boots. Their house brand, Wind River, is great quality. They have smaller, lace-up winter boots that still offer great warmth.

They also have all the socks needed for 'The Sock System'.
Posted via Mobile Device
We have it nearby, thanks! We are actually ready to go now and do some shopping. Hopefully on a budget.
     
    01-04-2014, 12:06 PM
  #16
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry4Me    
I have Mountain Horse winters and they are super warm! Too warm for training hard inside! I have to use my regular riding boots because the winter ones are too hot. I will use them when I am outside or trail riding.
Thanks! What temperatures?
     
    01-04-2014, 12:11 PM
  #17
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselessmom    
Thanks! What temperatures?
winters here range from 40 degrees to -20 degrees. Even in the negatives, the winter Mountain Horse boots a very warm!
horselessmom likes this.
     
    01-04-2014, 01:50 PM
  #18
Showing
My hubby used to work the high steel in very cold temperatures. His trick for keeping his feet warm was to allow his boots to freeze and he made sure his feet were bone dry as he put on his socks and boots. Moisture inside the boot contributes to cold feet. I have walked outside in -25* wearing thin suede moccasins and as long as my feet were moving they were toasty warm. Moisture from my feet escaped thro the leather.
horselessmom and Bagheera like this.
     
    01-04-2014, 03:21 PM
  #19
Foal
I got her a pair of Mountain Horse, a size too big, so that they will last until next winter, I hope. With the sale on, it seemed like a good deal. Thank you for all the feedback and advice! Got her a pair of nylon socks and her possum socks are on the way as well. With my luck, we are going to have an early spring, and I'll be spending another $100 on her "summer" boots in March. But then the entire Canada will be thanking me for making sure spring was on schedule, so I don't mind.
     
    01-04-2014, 04:22 PM
  #20
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry4Me    
winters here range from 40 degrees to -20 degrees. Even in the negatives, the winter Mountain Horse boots a very warm!
Forgive me, but is this Celcius or Fahrenheit? Very different meanings.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mountain Horse Celine Zip Paddock Boots Ladies 11 PiggyPablo Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 03-26-2013 12:51 PM
FS/T: 8.5 Ariat paddock boots tasunke Tack and Equipment Classifieds 5 11-14-2011 11:34 AM
Winter boots: Mountain Horse Rimfrost Rider II vs Ice High Rider II kitten_Val Horse Riding 12 10-16-2011 01:07 PM
Ariat paddock boots - small feet glynis4 Horse Tack and Equipment 3 05-24-2011 05:46 PM
Mountain Horse Fusion Winter boots horseluver250 Horse Tack and Equipment 6 01-01-2010 09:41 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0