Bareback :)
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Bareback :)

This is a discussion on Bareback :) within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • I want to ride horses so badly
  • Is bareback a type of riding?

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-01-2011, 11:41 AM
  #1
Weanling
Bareback :)

Okay, so I thought over the winter it might be fun to ride bareback a lot since I ride outside, and it's so cold.

I've only ridden bareback twice before (once several years ago, and the other time was a couple months ago). The last time I rode bareback it went really well, I w/t/c. I mean, yes, I did fall off once, but that was because my horse made a sudden turn, and I just tipped over. ;) My riding instructor felt so bad, she wanted to give me my money back, but my mom and I refused ;) (I was on the verge of passing out, I couldn't see, trouble hearing, etc.) I thought it was actually kind of funny (the fact that I fell off) because before I had started riding, I had thought that I would probably fall off that day.

I still want to ride bareback, so do you guys have any tips on good ways to practice doing it? Honestly, I felt like my instructor just threw me in, but she must have known I could do it, because I did, but I would like tips! Thank you! :)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-01-2011, 11:54 AM
  #2
Weanling
I'm no expert but cantering bareback is hard! Especially if it's your first time ever going bareback. I would start with just working on your balance. I feel sometimes like I am walking a tightrope (but with my bum... on a horse...) when I am going bareback.

I wish I knew some excercises to give you! Good luck.
     
    12-01-2011, 11:54 AM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittersrox    
Okay, so I thought over the winter it might be fun to ride bareback a lot since I ride outside, and it's so cold.

I've only ridden bareback twice before (once several years ago, and the other time was a couple months ago). The last time I rode bareback it went really well, I w/t/c. I mean, yes, I did fall off once, but that was because my horse made a sudden turn, and I just tipped over. ;) My riding instructor felt so bad, she wanted to give me my money back, but my mom and I refused ;) (I was on the verge of passing out, I couldn't see, trouble hearing, etc.) I thought it was actually kind of funny (the fact that I fell off) because before I had started riding, I had thought that I would probably fall off that day.

I still want to ride bareback, so do you guys have any tips on good ways to practice doing it? Honestly, I felt like my instructor just threw me in, but she must have known I could do it, because I did, but I would like tips! Thank you! :)
The biggest thing about riding bareback is finding balance on the horse without the saddle and stirrups to help you. Riding bareback, though, will eventually really help secure your seat in the saddle.

Some tips though:
Make sure you sit up straight and not lean to the side.
Don't pinch with your knees.
Make sure your legs are long.
Don't do more than you're comfortable with.

Someone I was riding bareback with one time told us to imagine something in between our thighs that we really didn't want to let go of and that's how you would grip (someone may need to correct me on that though).

I'm interested to hear more tips!
     
    12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkgamble    
The biggest thing about riding bareback is finding balance on the horse without the saddle and stirrups to help you. Riding bareback, though, will eventually really help secure your seat in the saddle.

Some tips though:
Make sure you sit up straight and not lean to the side.
Don't pinch with your knees.
Make sure your legs are long.
Don't do more than you're comfortable with.

Someone I was riding bareback with one time told us to imagine something in between our thighs that we really didn't want to let go of and that's how you would grip (someone may need to correct me on that though).

I'm interested to hear more tips!
I think this covers it well! Also, sit tall, do not lean foward. If anything lean slightly back because you'll probably be sitting straight even though it feels like you are leaning back. Relax your lower back to allow your hips to move with the horse's rhythm. Oh, and make sure someone is around in case something should happen and keep the arena door closed in case you and your horse should....separate (good practice even with a saddle). Have fun!
     
    12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
  #5
Trained
Riding bareback is so fun ! Its important to move with your horse and not against them. If you are feeling tense or stiff, start moving your hand like the horses front legs. Left hand forward with left leg, right hand forward with right leg. Doing this well help loosen your back and hips until you are moving with your horse.
     
    12-01-2011, 04:34 PM
  #6
Foal
If you feel unsure maybe your instructor could put you on a lunge the first part of you lesson than you wouldn't have to concentrate so much on steering so you can relax more!
     
    12-01-2011, 04:43 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfralic    
I'm no expert but cantering bareback is hard! Especially if it's your first time ever going bareback. I would start with just working on your balance. I feel sometimes like I am walking a tightrope (but with my bum... on a horse...) when I am going bareback.

I wish I knew some excercises to give you! Good luck.
I actually found cantering easier than trotting bareback when learning...unless, I suppose, your horse makes a sudden stop or turn you weren't expecting

Ultimately, the only way you will improve bareback is to ride bareback a lot.

Two things to keep in mind that really helped me was to grip with your thighs, not your calves or knees, and to keep your shoulders back because I always have a natural tendency to curl forwards when I'm in a bad spot.

I would bet everyone here has fallen off when bareback at some point. It's all just a part of learning.
     
    12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintophile    
I actually found cantering easier than trotting bareback when learning...unless, I suppose, your horse makes a sudden stop or turn you weren't expecting
Hehe, knowing Lookit, he would throw one of those surprises at me, or start to gallop.

Thank you for the answers! Also, is it just me, or can riding bareback be kind of painful sometimes?
     
    12-02-2011, 10:44 AM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintophile    
I actually found cantering easier than trotting bareback when learning...unless, I suppose, your horse makes a sudden stop or turn you weren't expecting

I would bet everyone here has fallen off when bareback at some point. It's all just a part of learning.
I've found that cantering is easier than trotting because it's typically a smoother gait. It's just getting there that is a pain. Haha. And, I actually fell of my horse the first and only time I've ever fallen off of him when riding bareback. It hurts less that way because, seeing as there is basically nothing to hold on to, you just kind of go with it and slide off rather than trying to force yourself to stay on and getting more hurt that way.. At least, that's what I found anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittersrox    
Also, is it just me, or can riding bareback be kind of painful sometimes?
It's not just you! Riding bareback can be painful especially if you have a horse with high withers or a more profound backbone. It can get pretty uncomfortable, you just have to learn to work around it and ride in a way that's proper, yet most comfortable for you and your horse. :)
     
    12-02-2011, 10:46 AM
  #10
Showing
You've gotten good advice so far. Be sure to relax, don't grip. With my beginner bareback riders, I compare it to a weeble. (the kids toys that you can bat around but they won't fall over) They work because they have a ball bearing inside that rolls around and counter balances & compensates for directional changes. Think of having that ball inside yourself, starting at your belly button & between hips. Over exaggerate at a walk and "roll" your ball with your horse's footfall pattern.

Hope that helps! Riding bareback is great in the winter, keeps your booty warm!
kittersrox and FlyGap like this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bareback furrera Horse Riding 6 07-21-2011 09:25 PM
Bareback xxEmilyxx Horse Training 16 04-12-2011 10:58 AM
bareback pad help? Cheyennes mom Horse Tack and Equipment 5 02-12-2011 08:15 PM
Bareback Pad... HELP! Haylee Horse Tack and Equipment 17 02-10-2011 06:21 PM
bareback? abbie Trail Riding 50 04-21-2010 01:14 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0