Buying 20 yr old horse - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Buying 20 yr old horse

This is a discussion on Buying 20 yr old horse within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree71Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
      #31
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Horsesdontlie    
    IMO, I'm with the crowd that says do not buy an old horse to sell it later. That is not fair to a horse that has been spending all its life serving people. It deserves to be comfortable with a steady environment, an owner that is willing to keep consistent feed and care until the end. I sold my fathers 20 year old horse after I went to college, I couldn't afford to keep both Jake and Jessie, Jessie would have had to live in a pasture by himself with no company, which is no life to retire into. I sold him to an older couple that only wanted a trail horse to cruise around on. They promised that they had no intentions to sell, that even if they couldn't ride they would keep Jessie until he passed on, and he would always have a buddy. That was best I could wish for the horse that had honestly taken care of my family. I know people lie, but I even inspected their property, checked on vets they would use and examined their horse knowledge. Now, Jake will stay with me until he passes, I already have retirement plans set up for when he is either physically or mentally done with being rode.

    Full Leasing an older horse would be a great option for you. That way you don't have the commitment past a year, and you don't have to worry about selling later on.
    I agree with this post
    Older horses should live out their lives with dignity and stay put
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
      #32
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Country Woman    
    I agree with this post
    Older horses should live out their lives with dignity and stay put
    While I agree with this and will do this for my two horses, not everyone can afford to keep an older horse that is not suitable for what they are doing any longer and get a horse that is.
         
        01-04-2012, 09:00 PM
      #33
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walkamile    
    While I agree with this and will do this for my two horses, not everyone can afford to keep an older horse that is not suitable for what they are doing any longer and get a horse that is.
    Then don't get one
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-04-2012, 09:25 PM
      #34
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand    
    Then don't get one
    Posted via Mobile Device
    or put it to sleep.
         
        01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
      #35
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by natisha    
    or put it to sleep.
    I won't argue with that option, but was responding to responses that older horses should be forever horses and live their lives in one place, not to be sold or given to someone else that could have practical use for them.
         
        01-04-2012, 10:05 PM
      #36
    Showing
    I agree with Walkamile. I know at least one person local to me (very responsible horsewoman) who found a good home for the old horse of hers that is now packing little girl around, and horse is much more happy there being "in use". So situations can be different. With that being said I do think the owner is responsible for the old horse in 1st place, and if nothing works out I'd much rather put the horse down.
         
        01-04-2012, 10:19 PM
      #37
    Showing
    I don't know. IMO, when a person buys a horse, that means taking responsibility for it now and being prepared to retain that responsibility for the remainder of it's life if that becomes necessary.

    Yes, some older horses can be re-homed, if their owner can find the right home for them...one that is willing and able to take over the responsibility of caring for an older equine. However, what if something happens to the horse during the ownership that deems the horse virtually worthless? They get injured or sick, not enough to need to put them down but just enough where they are no longer "useful". Too many people would be so quick to just pawn them off on an unsuspecting buyer or drop them off at the auction house with nary a care where they end up.

    I understand that bad things happen and we can never be certain about anything, but to buy a horse that has questionable marketability now with the clear intention of "selling her in a couple of years when I get my confidence back", when her marketability will be even more questionable, is just unfair to the horse.
         
        01-04-2012, 10:31 PM
      #38
    Showing
    ^^ smrobs, you are absolutely right. That's exactly what I call being a responsible owner (for any animal, not just horse).
    franknbeans likes this.
         
        01-04-2012, 11:14 PM
      #39
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrobs    
    I don't know. IMO, when a person buys a horse, that means taking responsibility for it now and being prepared to retain that responsibility for the remainder of it's life if that becomes necessary.

    Yes, some older horses can be re-homed, if their owner can find the right home for them...one that is willing and able to take over the responsibility of caring for an older equine. However, what if something happens to the horse during the ownership that deems the horse virtually worthless? They get injured or sick, not enough to need to put them down but just enough where they are no longer "useful". Too many people would be so quick to just pawn them off on an unsuspecting buyer or drop them off at the auction house with nary a care where they end up.

    I understand that bad things happen and we can never be certain about anything, but to buy a horse that has questionable marketability now with the clear intention of "selling her in a couple of years when I get my confidence back", when her marketability will be even more questionable, is just unfair to the horse.
    I like what she said
         
        01-05-2012, 02:42 AM
      #40
    Green Broke
    I've found that lessons will give a person confidence
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Buying a horse Zairia Horses for Sale 4 09-25-2011 09:27 PM
    would buying a second horse be best? Lonannuniel Horse Talk 7 05-29-2011 07:47 PM
    Buying my first horse? DressageQueen03 Horse Breeds 1 05-12-2011 08:40 PM
    buying horse beckys21 Horses for Sale 11 05-24-2008 04:34 PM
    buying a horse rolf4life Horses for Sale 6 05-16-2008 08:10 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0