Crazy Cantering - The Horse Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
• Horses: 1
Crazy Cantering

Hi! I've been having some troubles when I'm cantering with my gelding. He likes to try and take off with me when we're cantering. I've tried cantering him in small circles at one end of the arena, I have tried not using the crop, I've tried just about everything. Even when I canter him on the lunge line, he bucks and kicks out. Penn hadn't been cantered with his previous owner but he was fine the first few times when I cantered him. Any tips on how to control him?

Thanks!
MirabellaM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,712
• Horses: 0
Is he going faster than you would like or is he ducking and diving and zig zagging all over?
Muppetgirl is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,272
• Horses: 1
Do you think it has something to do with either his diet or his tack? A change that quickly is bizarre....

I'd check those things first.. see if his saddle fits or his teeth need floating or if he's developed any stiffness that makes it physically impossible, without bucking, to canter.

Then if all those avenues are fine, I would seriously get a trainer to put some rides on him... see if he can handle the cantering.

Does he listen if you canter for only a few short strides?

I would try to get him to QUIT bucking on the line....

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,272
• Horses: 1
Also if you don't mind me asking, what is your riding level? Have you ridden lots, are you still learning basic gaits, or are you advanced?

Also do you work/have you worked with a trainer or riding instructor?

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
• Horses: 1
Reply to skyseternalangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
Also if you don't mind me asking, what is your riding level? Have you ridden lots, are you still learning basic gaits, or are you advanced?

Also do you work/have you worked with a trainer or riding instructor?
I don't mind, I've been riding for 3-4 years and I take lessons weekly. I'm only working on basic gaits with my current horse because he's very chubby and we're worried about him hurting himself if we do too much too soon. If I'm not riding him, though, I jump small fences and occasionally do barrels if I'm in a western mood. I hope that answers your question...
MirabellaM is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
Do you think it has something to do with either his diet or his tack? A change that quickly is bizarre....

I'd check those things first.. see if his saddle fits or his teeth need floating or if he's developed any stiffness that makes it physically impossible, without bucking, to canter.

Then if all those avenues are fine, I would seriously get a trainer to put some rides on him... see if he can handle the cantering.

Does he listen if you canter for only a few short strides?

I would try to get him to QUIT bucking on the line....
His teeth are fine and his tack fits perfectly, so I'm going to have my trainer work with him. Thank you!
MirabellaM is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl View Post
Is he going faster than you would like or is he ducking and diving and zig zagging all over?
He's zig zagging and trying to go wherever he wants. I control him as much as I can but theres only so much I can do. It's really annoying. He's being very annoying and I'm getting SO frustrated.
MirabellaM is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,712
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirabellaM View Post
He's zig zagging and trying to go wherever he wants. I control him as much as I can but theres only so much I can do. It's really annoying. He's being very annoying and I'm getting SO frustrated.
I would squeeze him with my legs, raise my hands and widen my hands and reins and force him straight......then once he's straight I'd lower my hands and reward him....as soon as he starts leaning on me or being a dink I'd pick him up again.....let him make the mistake, correct him and give him an opportunity to do what you want, reward him with release and the. Give him the opportunity to do the right thing....if he dives off, pick him up again. I would also work on getting him yielding all body parts, haunches, shoulders etc.....so he's not 'ignoring' you and goofing off;)
HorseCrazyTeen likes this.
Muppetgirl is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,181
• Horses: 3
If he is crazy cantering, go back to the trot. When he can transition to the canter smoothly, then work from there. When you have problems in a higher gait, go back to the lesser one and work from there, and don't ignore the transition.
Skyseternalangel and onuilmar like this.
waresbear is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl View Post
I would squeeze him with my legs, raise my hands and widen my hands and reins and force him straight......then once he's straight I'd lower my hands and reward him....as soon as he starts leaning on me or being a dink I'd pick him up again.....let him make the mistake, correct him and give him an opportunity to do what you want, reward him with release and the. Give him the opportunity to do the right thing....if he dives off, pick him up again. I would also work on getting him yielding all body parts, haunches, shoulders etc.....so he's not 'ignoring' you and goofing off;)
Thank you SO much!! I will definitely try that!
MirabellaM is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crazy while cantering at shows howrsegirl123 Horse Shows 10 11-21-2012 10:38 PM
Need help cantering fearoffalling Horse Training 3 05-15-2012 11:12 PM
crazy mare-ending the crazy Iseul Member Journals 1 06-12-2011 08:52 PM
crazy cantering WeeSnack English Riding 7 08-08-2008 07:03 PM
Crazy Crazy Crazy Horse Race - blue diomond Wins(my horse) xspyderxx Horse Videos 2 10-08-2007 03:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome