Dealing with aggressive dogs? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 111Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 161 Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,689
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radly View Post
I was thinking about riding with my 9mm on my hip but then I have to deal with the police for killing a dog.

Stephen
Stephen, first of all, your safety, your horse's safety, and that of innocent bystanders comes above all.

Secondly, in just about every state there are laws justifying the killing of aggressive dogs when they are threatening, attacking, or harassing people or livestock. I know my state's law on that chapter and verse and I will pull the trigger on an aggressive dog no questions asked.

Let the cops come. Who cares?

If my horse broke loose because of an aggressive dog I'd be beyond furious, and would be apt to shoot the dog right in front of his owner. Plus I have more ammo in case the owner gets uppity enough.
kevinshorses, mystykat and Radly like this.

Last edited by mildot; 02-20-2012 at 08:31 PM.
mildot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 161 Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,689
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSerendipityXx View Post
Just scare the dogs away somehow. I dont think theres a need to kill them,
You don't think there's a need to kill them? How sweet.......

I disagree and my state's law is on my side.
lacyloo likes this.
mildot is offline  
post #13 of 161 Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: in Earthquakeville
Posts: 126
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot View Post
Plus I have more ammo in case the owner gets uppity enough.
That is like.. the best line ever.. haha. Wouldn't need it for the dogs, if the owners would be responsible.
Tapperjockey is offline  
post #14 of 161 Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,689
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapperjockey View Post
That is like.. the best line ever.. haha. Wouldn't need it for the dogs, if the owners would be responsible.
There's a good reason why my pistol of choice is a Glock 17.
mildot is offline  
post #15 of 161 Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fremont, California
Posts: 1,276
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot View Post
You don't think there's a need to kill them? How sweet.......
Are you being sarcastic?
No I dont think so, because if it were my dog, I wouldnt want some trigger happy horse rider shooting the crap out of her..
But it depends on how aggressive. If the dog is actually biting the horse, then yes. Heck, throw a bomb at it if you want. The stupid irresponsible owners would totally deserve it. Save a bomb for them, too!
Where I live people dont ride horses on beaches. Let alone beaches full of unleashed and crazy dogs.
@ the OP: I would stay away from that beach from now on, no need to get yourself or your horse hurt because of all the idiot dog owners in the world.
Ink and MangoRoX87 like this.

Baby you light up my world like nobody else.

Last edited by xXSerendipityXx; 02-20-2012 at 08:49 PM.
xXSerendipityXx is offline  
post #16 of 161 Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,689
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSerendipityXx View Post
Are you being sarcastic?
No I dont think so, because if it were my dog, I wouldnt want some trigger happy horse rider shooting the crap out of her..
But it depend on how aggressive. If the dog is actually biting the horse, then yes. Heck, throw a bomb at it if you want.
Where I live people dont ride horses on beaches. Let alone beaches full of unleashed and crazy dogs.
@ the OP: I say stay away from that beach from now on, if you really want to avoid the aggressive dogs.
No. I'm not being sarcastic.

It doesn't matter what you want or don't want, at least in my state. If your dog is harassing livestock (which horses are), they are fair game to be killed. And the only opinion that matters regarding what is harassment or not is that of the livestock's owner.

Finally, no, if I were the OP I would not stay away from a perfectly good place to ride just because some idiot decides to let his dogs run lose. I'd take care of the problem dog permanently if it came for me or my horse.

Last edited by tinyliny; 02-20-2012 at 09:27 PM.
mildot is offline  
post #17 of 161 Old 02-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fremont, California
Posts: 1,276
• Horses: 0
No need to be so rude to me...
I just dont see why a dog should have to die because someone couldnt keep it on a **** leash.
arrowsaway likes this.

Baby you light up my world like nobody else.
xXSerendipityXx is offline  
post #18 of 161 Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 933
• Horses: 1
Any force necessary. I have kicked a few dogs coming after my horse, a pointed boot to the ribs works pretty good...riding crops work well too.

I typically will charge any dog that is coming at me while I'm riding. Jake doesn't spook away and will run over any dog that gets in his way. I was once riding with a friend and we were charged by 3 dogs that came out of a garage. I turned Jake towards them and set him off at a trot towards them, they backed off and went for my friends horse, who sadly dumped the her and took off down the road. Luckily I managed to block the dogs and chase them back and the mare came right back to her owner who had pretty bad road rash.

The owners ended up supplying first aid, and helped drive me back and forth so I could take both horses back to the stables and took my friend home while they promised to never let the dogs off leash again. So I never got mad about it, they learned their lesson.

I have dogs that I take on trail myself. They never bark, chase or even go near any other horse than my own. If I see other people with horses I go off the trail, let them know I have dogs with me (so if their horses are spooky), both dogs sit next to me and I let the other people pass. So I don't mind well trained dogs around horses in the least.
flytobecat likes this.


Want to know the story? From The Start? It is a work in progress.
The $25 horse I didn't want.
Horsesdontlie is offline  
post #19 of 161 Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,689
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSerendipityXx View Post
I just dont see why a dog should have to die because someone couldnt keep it on a **** leash.
You missed the point. The dog is not to be killed because he's off a leash. It is to be killed for what it does when it is off the leash.

This is such an important concept in law that is has been codified in most states

Lawriter - ORC - 955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts - owner liable for damages.

Last edited by tinyliny; 02-20-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary snark.
mildot is offline  
post #20 of 161 Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fremont, California
Posts: 1,276
• Horses: 0
[quote=mildot;1370268]You missed the point. The dog is not to be killed because he's off a leash. It is to be killed for what it does when it is off the leash.

This is such an important concept in law that is has been codified in most states

Lawriter - ORC - 955.28 Dog may be killed for certain acts - owner liable for damages.

Hey, since the law is on your side, feel free to kill as many dogs as you want. And when they make a new law that its okay to steal, Ill be sure to do that too. Because even though its wrong, I wont get in trouble for it, so its all good.
Stop talking down to me because you think Im younger than you.
arrowsaway likes this.

Baby you light up my world like nobody else.

Last edited by tinyliny; 02-20-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: removed quoted rudeness
xXSerendipityXx is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dogs! Bubba and Badger, Golden Horse's Dogs tinyliny Horse Artwork 8 09-29-2011 01:42 PM
Any way to retrain a food aggressive/aggressive horse? CinderEve Horse Training 7 12-03-2010 04:17 PM
Dealing with thunderstorms Trails Trail Riding 4 06-10-2010 12:23 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome