Difficult to bridle horse
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Difficult to bridle horse

This is a discussion on Difficult to bridle horse within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Bridle for difficult horses
  • Difficult to bridle a horse

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tinyliny

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-01-2011, 08:38 PM
  #1
Weanling
Difficult to bridle horse

Hey everyone! Just as the title says, my horse is difficult to bridle. I know it's not out of pain, I haven't been banging the bit in his mouth..etc. I know WHY he's being difficult. He's just being a pill, and testing me!! He just throws his head in the air (he's 15 hh and I'm 5') and backs up a little. He used to just refuse to open his mouth, but now it's this!! I finally get it in his mouth after about 5-10 minutes of ''battling''. Does anyone have any suggestions?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-01-2011, 09:54 PM
  #2
Trained
John Lyons had an excellent article in Horse & Rider magazine about bridling. This was about 15 years ago though, so don't know if you can access it through their website but I am sure you can track it down or something similiar to it on the internet. I remember at that time, I took a horse in for training & she had been mucked with in the bridling department & was nutso when it came to bridling. I followed those instructions to a tee & within a 1/2 hour, she was fine. I am pretty sure it was the owner's doing, because when this mare went back to the owner, the same problem arose, so I showed her how to do it & problem solved again in 5 minutes. Best advice I can give you, way to lengthy for me to type out here, sorry.
     
    12-01-2011, 10:07 PM
  #3
Yearling
The best thing to do is hang on =) I know it may not seem practical but after going through with the head throwing etc.. The horse will eventually realize your in charge and quit doing it. I ride a horse exactly like that she threw her head up I went with her she did it about 5 times than realized I was in charge and wasn't backing down. Go with whatever movement he's doing, but don't let go, and certainly don't give in. Good luck =)
     
    12-01-2011, 10:10 PM
  #4
Weanling
Thank you palominolover! He just recently started doing it, so I think you're right (:
     
    12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
  #5
Showing
Yeah get his head down there to your level! Apply as much pressure as he resists and soften when he softens. Make him stand and if he backs bring him x many steps forward. Then get that bridle held in your right hand, guide that bit to his lips.. push that finger in the corner of his mouth guide the bit in WITHOUT him chewing on it (that could be why he's resisting as it is painful)

Have you checked to make sure his teeth are okay?

Also how do you take the bridle off? If you just let the bit fall down and wait for him to open, then that rattles the metal on his sensitive teeth which also hurts.

Hope it improves :)
     
    12-01-2011, 10:15 PM
  #6
Weanling
!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
Yeah get his head down there to your level! Apply as much pressure as he resists and soften when he softens. Make him stand and if he backs bring him x many steps forward. Then get that bridle held in your right hand, guide that bit to his lips.. push that finger in the corner of his mouth guide the bit in WITHOUT him chewing on it (that could be why he's resisting as it is painful)

Have you checked to make sure his teeth are okay?

Also how do you take the bridle off? If you just let the bit fall down and wait for him to open, then that rattles the metal on his sensitive teeth which also hurts.

Hope it improves :)

Thank you! As I said earlier, he is in no pain at all, he's just being a pill! When I take the bridle off, I slip the headstall off of his ears, and he opens his mouth immeadiatly, and the bit slides right out without touching his teeth.
     
    12-01-2011, 10:32 PM
  #7
Showing
Good! Well keep us updated on how he does the next bridling sesh :P
     
    12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
Good! Well keep us updated on how he does the next bridling sesh :P
I will! It may be a few days though... We're getting rain tomorrow, tomorrow evening, saturday, saturday night...in fact, we're supposed to get a snow mix on saturday /: Not sure I'm ready for snow yet!!
     
    12-01-2011, 10:41 PM
  #9
Showing
You and me both, haha.
     
    12-01-2011, 11:35 PM
  #10
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by palominolover    
The best thing to do is hang on =) I know it may not seem practical but after going through with the head throwing etc.. The horse will eventually realize your in charge and quit doing it. I ride a horse exactly like that she threw her head up I went with her she did it about 5 times than realized I was in charge and wasn't backing down. Go with whatever movement he's doing, but don't let go, and certainly don't give in. Good luck =)

This is true, though you want to move really softly with them, not trying to pull them down, but just maintaining a light contact and feel, and when they come toward the direction you want them to come, ease up a bit.

I am having some trouble bridling the 17 hh horse I sometimes ride. He will toss his head around and up beyond the point where I can "follow" him, so if I lose him, I just reach again when I can, real calm. When he give me his nose (I cannot reach over his poll, too tall), then I ask him to bend around to his shoulder, and I am kind of tucked in ther between his head and his shoulder. Then he will usually take the bit ok.
Skyseternalangel likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it difficult to teach a dressage horse to jump? hillree Horse Training 8 05-20-2011 08:45 PM
deworming the difficult horse Saddlebag Horse Health 5 03-22-2011 09:26 AM
Help with difficult horse to catch devildogtigress Horse Training 11 12-16-2010 02:16 PM
Bit help? Difficult horse? CloudsMystique Horse Tack and Equipment 27 03-08-2010 07:49 PM
and i thought the horse life was difficult! englishcowgrl General Off Topic Discussion 9 02-07-2008 07:12 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0