I'll try to keep this as simple as possible. It may help it to read this thread of mine to get more of the backstory: Should I stay at my current stable or move to this other one?
I'm either moving to a fancy dressage barn in a few weeks (but I have to give the woman the answer in the next two-three days pretty much), or staying where I'm at. Horsey is very happy where she's at, facility is not great. I love the barn, but the riding ring isn't good. It isn't properly maintained -- not watered when it gets too deep, so we depend on the rain.. If it gets rained out, it doesn't absorb the water properly or gets easily frozen over if its cold.. etc.
I don't think it's realistic for me to continue doing dressage where I'm at. It's just not. Lack of training, lack of facility, and it's too much stress for both of us. I'm either going to move and continue with the dressage or stay where I'm at. I have a 6 year old (almost 7) with minor osteoarthritis.
FYI as far as dressage with her arthritis: I texted my vet today and he said he's going to review her records and let me know how strenuous of a workload she can be put under, which is good. But in the past both he and his colleague have both said that dressage would be good for her, and the more work (keeping healthy limitations in mind, the better). Keep in mind -- this sounds a lot worse than it is. I know my horse and she is actually in extremely good shape!
Anyway, if I stay where I'm at, I have to be flexible. Work with the weather, do a discipline that doesn't require too much stress for either of us, and have fun. I've had dreams of showing her, even doing local county or schooling shows, but we've never gotten there.
If I decide to keep her where she's at, which discipline should I pick up? I'm not going to excel in dressage at this place, and frankly, I don't want to do it anymore here. I want to do something that I would be able to do myself (without consistent outside training) and progress with her. She is a quarter horse, so keep that in mind. :)
Right now -- I'm mostly lost. I don't know what our
purpose is. I don't know what path to take, and unfortunately, I only have about 3 days max to decide... I was actually hoping to have the decision made by tomorrow.
And I'm not selling the girl. She's my best friend, and even if I have to retire her early, she's not getting sold.
Thank you :)