Do you ride with a crop? - The Horse Forum

 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 330
• Horses: 1
Do you ride with a crop?

I never have before, but my gelding had 2 weeks off due to a knee injury. It was normal looking after a week (the vet had cleared him), and he showed no pain, but I didn't want to push it. SO after his 2 weeks off, he decided going back to work was a TERRIBLE idea (he is the laziest horse ever to begin with). He decided rubbing his rider off on objects was awesome. He would literally run full speed, sideways at objects, and other horses, ignoring every cue. My BO and instructor suggested a riding crop to "remind" him to behave. The first time he started at a sideways canter, a nice tap on his shoulder corrected RIGHT away. He tried it one more time and got corrected again. After that he was perfect, and was totally in tune to me. I always thought riding crops were cruel, but I just realized they were a good tool if used correctly.
mrstorres2566 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 38,738
• Horses: 2
cruel? Not hardly. Most of the time, just having one is all it takes. More often than not, I hit my own boot when Z is being lazy and has ignored my leg. The noise is all it takes to wake him up.
bsms, kiltsrhott and Petlover500 like this.
tinyliny is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 330
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
cruel? Not hardly. Most of the time, just having one is all it takes. More often than not, I hit my own boot when Z is being lazy and has ignored my leg. The noise is all it takes to wake him up.
I'm not sure he knew what it was. My instructor was like, "show it to him, make him aware you have it." I did, but he didn't seem to pay attention. She owned him for 3 years before me and said she never used one, because he mostly did lead line for beginners, so he probably had no idea what it was. But once it was used, and it was only a firm tap, he started paying more attention to me. He kept one ear firmly trained on me, making sure he heard whatever I was asking.
mrstorres2566 is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 8,948
• Horses: 4
My 'crop' is wrapped around the saddle horn. It isn't used often, but it is nice to have available at all times.

Used properly, a crop or whip makes the horse SOFTER to cues. When I took lessons a few years ago, the instructor put me on one horse and let me kick that **** SOB for 30 minutes...and he didn't ever trot. She then handed me a crop. One whack, and he then trotted at light pressure from the calf for the rest of the lesson. Her point was that if you have the option of escalating, then the horse will often choose to respond quickly to light pressure. But if the horse knows you cannot escalate, he may call your bluff...



And like tinyliny, I often just hit my leg or the saddle. The noise is usually enough. The worst I've ever used it on her wouldn't hurt me if it hit me that hard in the face.

Actually, I did try once to make her go forward when she was scared by hitting her HARD on the rump. She put it into reverse and we flew back up the trail 50-75 yards, until she felt safer and I realized that I will never hit Mia hard enough to MAKE her do anything!

"People can teach us the rules, but only horses can teach us the art of riding."

Last edited by bsms; 11-02-2013 at 08:46 PM.
bsms is online now  
post #5 of 23 Old 11-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,487
• Horses: 0
I very rarely use one. I use them while running speed events at competitions, but only if my horse is being lazy and not giving it his all. I'll occasionally use one if we're having a respect issue ("uh no, let's go to the arena gate now, rides over, I'm the boss now" sort of stuff from the horses)
Posted via Mobile Device
GamingGrrl is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 330
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGrrl View Post
I very rarely use one. I use them while running speed events at competitions, but only if my horse is being lazy and not giving it his all. I'll occasionally use one if we're having a respect issue ("uh no, let's go to the arena gate now, rides over, I'm the boss now" sort of stuff from the horses)
Posted via Mobile Device
My horse and I have a lot of respect issues. But again, he was always used for beginner riders who had no idea how to correct him, so he pretty much got away with everything for 3 whole years. There is only 3 people who he rarely pulls his crap with and that's BO, the other trainer and our junior trainer. Because he knows if he does there WILL be consequences. He is learning I mean business as well, but it takes time I suppose.
mrstorres2566 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 11-02-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 330
• Horses: 1
Yeah, I just gave him a firm tap, just to get his attention. And it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
My 'crop' is wrapped around the saddle horn. It isn't used often, but it is nice to have available at all times.

Used properly, a crop or whip makes the horse SOFTER to cues. When I took lessons a few years ago, the instructor put me on one horse and let me kick that **** SOB for 30 minutes...and he didn't ever trot. She then handed me a crop. One whack, and he then trotted at light pressure from the calf for the rest of the lesson. Her point was that if you have the option of escalating, then the horse will often choose to respond quickly to light pressure. But if the horse knows you cannot escalate, he may call your bluff...



And like tinyliny, I often just hit my leg or the saddle. The noise is usually enough. The worst I've ever used it on her wouldn't hurt me if it hit me that hard in the face.

Actually, I did try once to make her go forward when she was scared by hitting her HARD on the rump. She put it into reverse and we flew back up the trail 50-75 yards, until she felt safer and I realized that I will never hit Mia hard enough to MAKE her do anything!
mrstorres2566 is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 11-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 38,738
• Horses: 2
I don't ususally tap my horse. I already "tapped" him when I asked him with my leg . If I use the crop, it's going to be impressionable. Don't tap, smack! Once, and if you want to , smack your own boot. But, it should be firm, quick and make an impresssion. Otherwise you simple take away the power of the crop, one TAP at a time.
tinyliny is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 11-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
I rode my good trail gelding bareback a lot but never without a crop. His sense of humor sometimes warranted my suggestion of delivering a whack behind my leg.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,299
• Horses: 0
While I seldom need to use a crop/whip...I ALWAYS carry one. One of my past coaches, Jack LeGoff once told me that a "Good rider always carries a stick and never uses it".

Words I live by, it seems.
Kayty, bsms, countercanter and 2 others like this.
Allison Finch is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone know how to make a crop? qcfb03qcfb Horse Tack and Equipment 4 10-08-2013 07:11 AM
When to use a crop(jumping) Ellieandrose Horse Training 10 05-30-2013 08:10 PM
Using a Crop? HurricaneKatt Horse Riding 23 10-14-2010 08:43 AM
Crop or not? MaggiStar Horse Training 116 05-20-2010 08:28 AM
Crop? appy rider 4 life English Riding 11 02-24-2009 01:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome