Eventing, Dressage, Cross Country..etc
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Eventing, Dressage, Cross Country..etc

This is a discussion on Eventing, Dressage, Cross Country..etc within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Eventing dressage saddle or not
  • How to hold my mare xc

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-14-2011, 10:02 PM
  #1
Yearling
Eventing, Dressage, Cross Country..etc

So I was just wondering, if you can practice dressage in a normal saddle. Not to where it's show worthy, but just working on doing some of the moves like extending on the trot and canter, shortening on the trot and canter etc. And also I don't have a dressage saddle atm but am looking for one :) and this also ties into the eventing info below..

As for cross country. My horse is very picky with the jumps at my barn. He can do jumps BEAUTIFULLY if you face him towards the barn. But if you jump him the opposite way then right when he lands he does a quick turn, which always knocks me off balance. I've never fallen off that way but I did when we were cantering a few months ago when he was REAL sour about turning away from the barn. So my main question about this one is, 1) how can you condition your horse to not be a finicky jumper and/or not refusing (he sometimes refuses the jumps if they don't face the barn) and 2) how can you make the jumps in your ring look cross country-ish..we don't have a xc course so no luck there.

And lastly about the eventing. Eventing is 3 things, dressage, xc, and show jumping right? Well can you take your horse that isn't very good at one of them (mine is dressage) and still go to have fun.. Or will people be like omg this horse sucks please go away lol.

This is probably really conjumbled and everything because I've stopped like 3 times typing it. But all I'm looking for is some help with this. Thanks so much :)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-14-2011, 10:09 PM
  #2
Trained
Yes you can do dressage in a jumping saddle at the lower levels.

Your jumping problems don't seem to be jumping problems as much as barn sour problems.

I like using barrels, hay bales, tires, and overturned water troughs as jumps. I have also leaned pallets up against a vertical to make it like a coop.

If your dressage is poor you probably wont win, but that doesnt mean you can't have fun and learn something. Do you have a trainer ?
     
    08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl    
yes you can do dressage in a jumping saddle at the lower levels.

Your jumping problems don't seem to be jumping problems as much as barn sour problems.

I like using barrels, hay bales, tires, and overturned water troughs as jumps. I have also leaned pallets up against a vertical to make it like a coop.

If your dressage is poor you probably wont win, but that doesnt mean you can't have fun and learn something. Do you have a trainer ?
Haha yeah we'd be very low since I've never done dressage..ever. But this is for the future, like next year haha.

I've done barrels with him and he does them fine, i'll try and work with him with the other jumps. And I've done a pallet, well it was a bridge lol and he jumped it by accident so I think we'll have some success with that :)

And I don't have a trainer right now, but I will be getting one by next month. She works at my barn so I know her pretty well
     
    08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
  #4
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubylol    
So I was just wondering, if you can practice dressage in a normal saddle. Not to where it's show worthy, but just working on doing some of the moves like extending on the trot and canter, shortening on the trot and canter etc. And also I don't have a dressage saddle atm but am looking for one :) and this also ties into the eventing info below..
Absolutely!! I school dressage in a jumping saddle all the time. The only setback is that a jumping saddle doesn't encourage the best leg position when the stirrup leathers are the longer length best for dressage.

Quote:
As for cross country. My horse is very picky with the jumps at my barn. He can do jumps BEAUTIFULLY if you face him towards the barn. But if you jump him the opposite way then right when he lands he does a quick turn, which always knocks me off balance. I've never fallen off that way but I did when we were cantering a few months ago when he was REAL sour about turning away from the barn. So my main question about this one is, 1) how can you condition your horse to not be a finicky jumper and/or not refusing (he sometimes refuses the jumps if they don't face the barn) and 2) how can you make the jumps in your ring look cross country-ish..we don't have a xc course so no luck there.
That really is not an uncommon problem. Horses always prefer to be in a "herd" when they are tense. If the herd is at the barn....

When I jump away from the barn, I think much more aggressively forward, if the horse is barn sour. I will hold my hands in a wide position (base wide) on either side of the neck. This helps channel the horse forward, making it a bit harder to turn. Think to look up and towards the distance to encourage him to canter on. Praise him for keeping straight.If he turns, DO NOT CIRCLE HIM. Make him turn back around....for instance, If he turns to the right after the jump, MAKE him turn back left and go back away from the barn. Circling sends the message that the turn was "kinda" OK.

Just make yourself doubly aggressive toward the jumps away from the barn.

Quote:
And lastly about the eventing. Eventing is 3 things, dressage, xc, and show jumping right? Well can you take your horse that isn't very good at one of them (mine is dressage) and still go to have fun.. Or will people be like omg this horse sucks please go away lol.
Why not? If people think you aren't taking the dressage phase seriously, so what? Do what you can, as well as you can...and have fun. As you go along, you will improve, as you learn.

Quote:
This is probably really conjumbled and everything because I've stopped like 3 times typing it. But all I'm looking for is some help with this. Thanks so much :)
Not confusing at all.
     
    08-14-2011, 10:26 PM
  #5
Yearling
Thanks allison :) that was really helpful. And when me and my friend are just playing around at the barn I've had my stirrups all the way down to pretend I was riding western (we both used to ride hardcore western lol) so what would be the correct leg to fake my horse into getting all dressagy? Anddd also lol, how can I get him to get into some extension and shortening with his strides?

And are there any other maneuvers I should start teaching Cowboy now for dressage?
     
    08-14-2011, 10:27 PM
  #6
Yearling
ANDD jeez lol this is a lot of stuff to ask! When you do eventing, do you have to have a dressage saddle? I'm looking to buy one soon anyways but I was jw :)
     
    08-14-2011, 10:34 PM
  #7
Foal
Devyn, you can start shoulder in, leg yielding, free walk, medium walk, turn on the forehand. Try doing some center line work.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-14-2011, 10:41 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by reveriesgirly    
Devyn, you can start shoulder in, leg yielding, free walk, medium walk, turn on the forehand. Try doing some center line work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jordyn you know you're going to have to tell me what all that is, and how to get Cowboy to do it lol. So next time we ride him, we're going dressage lol. We'll have to get Cowboy to talk to Kin for some advice lol
     
    08-14-2011, 10:42 PM
  #9
Foal
Lol, Kin just wants cowboys baby maker...
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-14-2011, 10:44 PM
  #10
Yearling
Hahahahahah <33
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got to do a little cross-country! fuadteagan Jumping 9 06-18-2011 08:14 AM
Cross-Country Course Beau Baby Barn Maintenance 1 08-23-2010 12:05 PM
Elegant Experienced Draft Cross Dressage/Eventing Mare Prodomus Horses for Sale 3 09-08-2009 01:59 PM
Cross country!!! Hoofprints in the Sand Jumping 42 06-11-2009 01:41 PM
cross country! morganshow11 Jumping 44 03-01-2009 09:26 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0