Tomorrow I'm going to see a horse for part loan, he's a 16hh youngster coming 3 and has just started being lunged/long reined etc in preparation for backing.
So far I've decided these are questions I've got to ask the owner, can anyone add to this list?
1. How far along in his training is he
2. Does he have any vices
3. Special dietary requirements
4. Her views on training eg. Does she use a whip etc
5. Plains for the future - is he to be a hacking horse or a show horse
6. Amount of turnout he is to have and when (although she'll probably tell me this anyway )
7. His behaviour in general - is he quiet, calm or is he a bit bolshy? Does he need firm handling?
8. How is he with the vet, farrier, and boxing?
9. Can he be caught easily?
10. Has he had any heath problems
I know its only a part loan, so it isn't as if I'm going to be owning him outright and she will be there a lot of the time as well, however I will probably be left alone with him quite a bit and be responsible for his care, therefore I do think its wise to ask a lot of questions and then learn as much about him as I can. Can anyone think of any questions that I might have missed out? Or anything you personally would ask?
Thanks for your help