He went bronc on me, I think I give up... - Page 5
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

He went bronc on me, I think I give up...

This is a discussion on He went bronc on me, I think I give up... within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-03-2011, 03:09 AM
      #41
    Yearling
    Agree with smrobs, he should learn pretty quick that you won't let him get away with throwing you whenever he doesn't want to work. I'm glad you are ok!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-03-2011, 04:01 AM
      #42
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gaelgirl    
    Agree with smrobs, he should learn pretty quick that you won't let him get away with throwing you whenever he doesn't want to work. I'm glad you are ok!
    He will once I get him back from my neighbour (racehorse trainer, can ride anything) I'm actually wondering whether he's ever had anybody come off him before because he looked genuinely confused to see me on the ground.. Once the rocket had gone from his bum that is.
         
        03-19-2011, 04:43 PM
      #43
    Foal
    Bucking

    Have you checked his tack - is his girth too tight etc.? If he carries on bucking get a vet to take a look at him just in case - it could also be his teeth. If he does persist get an instuctor to step in but if he bucks keep his head high by shortening your reins - try and be a big harder with your reins - also this is VIP have you tried tapping him on the shoulder? It may work better
         
        03-19-2011, 06:44 PM
      #44
    Showing
    I'd get him off the rich grass. I'm wondering if he's beginning to founder and has sore feet. That would account for this behaviour. He was a good boy while in his transition stage but now he's testing you to see what he can get away with. I'd do lots of groundwork turning lots of turnbacks while lunging but 15 min is plenty. Do everything you can think up to get him moving away from you, his hinquarters, his shoulders, forward, back. By pushing him around like this you are the dominant one. I'd do this every day for a min of three days, preferably 5 to really drill it into his head. No riding during this time.
         
        03-19-2011, 07:13 PM
      #45
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by annieapplecake    
    Have you checked his tack - is his girth too tight etc.? If he carries on bucking get a vet to take a look at him just in case - it could also be his teeth. If he does persist get an instuctor to step in but if he bucks keep his head high by shortening your reins - try and be a big harder with your reins - also this is VIP have you tried tapping him on the shoulder? It may work better
    Yeah I've checked all that and had other people check it in person for me and they seem to think it's fine, but if he carries it on when I next get on I'll get everything checked again.
    I haven't ridden him since that day but my neighbour did, after nearly a month of him being on different grass and he said he was fine, but a strong horse (no kidding he's strong I figured that one out the difficult way)

    I'm in the process of trying to find an equine dentist with a decent reputation because I've noticed the last few times I rode him he threw his head quite a bit, I'm not sure if that was the flys or his teeth but I'll get the rounds done anyway.

    That is my backup plan, and I know which instructor I'll get out if he carries on, i'm hoping I won't need her for that reason, but it would be nice if I could get her out anyway.

    Yep, tapping him on the shoulder was what started his bucking fit. But i'm pretty sure it was him using the tap as an excuse because I've tapped him there many times before to get him moving (can't reach his hindquarters yet) and he didn't bat an eyelid. I can stand on the ground and wave it around his face and the rest of his body and tap him everywhere and he just looks at me as if to say "is that supposed to be scary?"
         
        03-19-2011, 07:21 PM
      #46
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
    I'd get him off the rich grass. I'm wondering if he's beginning to founder and has sore feet. That would account for this behaviour. He was a good boy while in his transition stage but now he's testing you to see what he can get away with. I'd do lots of groundwork turning lots of turnbacks while lunging but 15 min is plenty. Do everything you can think up to get him moving away from you, his hinquarters, his shoulders, forward, back. By pushing him around like this you are the dominant one. I'd do this every day for a min of three days, preferably 5 to really drill it into his head. No riding during this time.
    He's now been off that paddock since that day, he's now back on my property but up the road on different grass, now I have to find a way to stop einstein over there jumping my reels! He stays in his paddock just not his allocated part.
    He's back to his normal behaviour in the paddock, and I've been lunging him everyday instead of riding him since he got back and unfortunately I discovered a loose shoe yesterday, so now I'm going to have to go through the struggle of finding a farrier, my one has just had knee surgery and all the others are booked out, might have to ask my neighbour, he's done my horses before. -I would pull it off myself, grandad gave me the tools to do it, but i'm not a qualified farrier and i'm a bit iffy about pulling it off myself.

    -The lunging we've had to work on a lot as when I first lunged him he thought lunge meant oval, and on one side of your oval your supposed to run over the rope holder, then pull them across the paddock on your other side. He's since discovered this is not the case, and lunge means circle.
    He's gone back to his normal cuddly self in the paddock, but I try not to let him be too cuddly because I don't want to baby him incase he thinks he can cuddle his way out of it, and he probably would try it to .

    I'll start doing what you've said once I've done something about his hooves :)
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Leather Bronc Halter-Bridle $40 (USA) Curly_Horse_CMT Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 11-03-2010 10:22 AM
    bronc halter wyominggrandma Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 01-24-2010 11:27 AM
    looking for bronc halter wyominggrandma Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 11-22-2009 04:05 PM
    He'd make a good bronc horse! Twilight Arabians Horse Pictures 5 06-27-2009 03:01 PM
    Bronc Riding horse_luver4e Horse Training 67 03-04-2008 08:43 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0