Horse Fencing
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Horse Fencing

This is a discussion on Horse Fencing within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Keepsafe horse fence price
  • Keepsafe ® equestrian fence price

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-11-2010, 11:20 PM
  #1
Foal
Question Horse Fencing

What sort of fencing should be used when enclosing an area for your horse? I have done a little research on the Internet and have found that barbed wire can be a little dangerous to horses. What sort of fencing would you recommend?

I read that horses could become entangled in the barbed wire or could also press against it due to the fact that it is small and thin (which would be difficult for a horse to see). To counter this, could you construct a three-row barbed wire fence with a single strand of electric wire at the top positioned inward by about six inches (meaning the horse would reach the electric wire before the barbed wire)?

Or, could you use electric wire for the entire fence? When I say this, I mean a three-row electric wire fence.

Any insight is appreciated!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-11-2010, 11:28 PM
  #2
Banned
Personally, I don't think horses and electric fencing are a good combo. I would never fence my horses with electric fencing, espically if they were young. If you do use it, I would only use it a the top of the fence. I have seen horror scars on horses that have been entangled in electric fencing. The hair will not grow back and depending on the vaultage, it can damage the skin so it looks kind of scabby.

Have you looked into fencing from tsc? I don't know what it is called, but it is the square pattern fencing, and they have some designed specifically for horses. And it is designed to minimize injury if a horse does run into it.
     
    08-11-2010, 11:35 PM
  #3
Foal
The TSC site offers quite a few different types of horse fencing. I'm not sure what would be best.

Reference: Horse Fence | Find Field Farm Fence for Goats, Horses & More at Tractor Supply
     
    08-11-2010, 11:40 PM
  #4
Banned
What is the activity level of the horses you will be fencing?
Are they known to be excape artists?
How Tall are they?
     
    08-11-2010, 11:42 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by A knack for horses    
What is the activity level of the horses you will be fencing?
Are they known to be excape artists?
How Tall are they?
I am not sure. I will be constructing this before purchasing my first horses. But as far as I know, the horses will be about 15 hands high (I assume that is the size horse I will be purchasing).
     
    08-11-2010, 11:57 PM
  #6
Banned
Hmmm....I remember your thread about auctions. If you buy fencing, you want it to be tall enough the horse can't jump over, so the withers is a good height to go with. A 15 hh horse will stand 60 inches at the withers (15 x 4=60)

Well in my opinion, I would go with fencing that is over 55" in height so you know the fencing will hold the horses. Since you don't know how active the horses will be, I would get fencing that has a little give to it (in case the run into it) and I would buy a few extra stakes to be positive that the fence will hold.

I would price the Keep-safe horse fence 58 inches high. I would also ask about stakes and what the fencing expert at tsc would use.

Hope this helps!
     
    08-12-2010, 12:04 AM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by A knack for horses    
Hmmm....I remember your thread about auctions. If you buy fencing, you want it to be tall enough the horse can't jump over, so the withers is a good height to go with. A 15 hh horse will stand 60 inches at the withers (15 x 4=60)

Well in my opinion, I would go with fencing that is over 55" in height so you know the fencing will hold the horses. Since you don't know how active the horses will be, I would get fencing that has a little give to it (in case the run into it) and I would buy a few extra stakes to be positive that the fence will hold.

I would price the Keep-safe horse fence 58 inches high. I would also ask about stakes and what the fencing expert at tsc would use.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your help! I figure I will need to keep the stakes at a closer distance from each other to make sure the fence remains strong. The stakes that support the current fence are spread about five to six feet apart and the fence is bending all sorts of ways.
     
    08-12-2010, 12:07 AM
  #8
Banned
Yeah I'd maybe try every 4 1/2 to 5 feet apart. Some of the bending may just be from getting old.
     
    08-12-2010, 12:13 AM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by A knack for horses    
Yeah I'd maybe try every 4 1/2 to 5 feet apart. Some of the bending may just be from getting old.
Is there a certain type of stake I need to use for fencing horses?
     
    08-12-2010, 12:16 AM
  #10
Banned
To answer your question, you would have to ask the fencing people at tsc, but I believe a stake is a stake, and it should work as long as it is the proper length
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fencing! ilovemyPhillip Farm Forum 7 01-11-2010 01:05 AM
Safe Horse Fencing sassyfrass09 Horse Health 18 01-09-2010 04:20 PM
Fencing - HELP! ChexMix1000 Horse Tack and Equipment 3 03-28-2009 11:00 PM
Vinyl Horse Fencing? outrun Horse Talk 5 12-22-2008 01:08 PM
Fencing carriedenaee Horse Talk 9 04-25-2008 12:34 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0