Horse taking over - Page 19 - The Horse Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 200 Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 883
• Horses: 2
I have my post view set to 40 per page, so page 12 means nothing unless you reference actual post numbers.

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien
Colorado Equine Massage Therapy
goldilockz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 200 Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
I have my post view set to 40 per page, so page 12 means nothing unless you reference actual post numbers.
This made me giggle.

Why? Because one of my friends here and I went through something similar. She kept saying something about a post on page <number> and I was like, "I do not see what you are talking about". When I finally found the post she was talking about I got to enjoy the cuteness she had been trying to show me all along.



If you click on the post number in the corner you can copy and paste a link directly to that post.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #183 of 200 Old 06-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,644
• Horses: 3
That was very interesting Heartprints, thanks. Since we are talking about opinions and advice, it's my opinion that most peops are nothing like their online personas, esp. in a public forum. Main reason I would never ask for advise on an internet forum unless it was for entertainment value. This forum is the most entertaining I have came across, because of the knowledgeable, well spoken posters, all have such valid points.
waresbear is offline  
post #184 of 200 Old 06-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 2,042
• Horses: 1
I quit reading on page 10 or so. I feel like everything is just being repeated in different ways, we may just all have to agree to disagree ;)

Now for my opinion. A dangerous horse is a dangerous horse. With a green owner/rider nothing good can come out of it, unless the owner/rider gets help. The owner/rider should not be unsupervised without a trainer for a while with such a horse. However, if the owner/rider cannot afford help for the horse, it is not fair to the horse or themselves to keep it. Horses naturally desire a leader, and without one the horse is unhappy. The owner/rider in fear of the horse does not work with it (or does work with it, and makes things worse) therefore the horse rots in a pasture. This has nothing to do with only having horses to ride. If I have a horse that is lame and can no longer be ridden, I have no problem keeping it (if I can properly care for it). BUT, if the horse is agressive/dangerous, therein the problem lies.

At the end of the day, the horse is only an animal. I don't think it is worth risking human life around a dangerous animal. There are thousands of safe, sane horses going to waste every day. It is inevitable that horses will be slaughtered every day, why not let the bad ones take the place of the good ones? Sounds harsh, but that is how I feel. Yes, it is a shame if the horse is only bad because it is ruined by a person, but stuff happens. Move on.

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. ~Harriet Tubman
Eliz is offline  
post #185 of 200 Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 348
• Horses: 1
Yeah, we have had a lot of ticked off people--and I am ok with that as long as we are dealing in fact and not opinion. I feel like I have given that over and over. Now we have actually had intervention and removed posts. So we all need to cool down. So, just as a last attempt here, I will give the post numbers where I do relate real horse science, not opinion, and you all can do with it what you want. For the sake of horses, I hope you give it a chance. No more insults on either side, I hope. No more personal attacks on either side, I hope.

Posts 112, 113, 116 & 176. These sum up the argument against "bad horses" (it comes from science, not just me), my approach to horses, and my true attitude about the situation with the original poster, HorseDreamer. I honestly do think that if these principles are more widely understood, we can have better relationships with our horses, and fewer of them will get undeserved bad reputations and end up in bad places. Honest to goodness, this has been my intent from the get-go, to be a voice for horses.

Last edited by DSJ46; 06-28-2011 at 02:32 PM.
DSJ46 is offline  
post #186 of 200 Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ46 View Post
No more insults on either side, I hope. No more personal attacks on either side, I hope.
Which is the reason I removed your post. You stated your side of the discussion, many many times. I think that's enough.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #187 of 200 Old 06-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 348
• Horses: 1
The only post I had removed was one that was admittedly provocative witout information, my very last one last night. Stating facts (not my opinion) over and over, I felt was necessary as people didn't seem to get it. I also had two other people's posts removed because they just insulted me with an information attached.
DSJ46 is offline  
post #188 of 200 Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Some times Llanelian - North wales, sometimes Hull in East Yorkshire (UK)
Posts: 3,679
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ46 View Post
"There are just some horses that are naturally mean."

I still hold this for nonsense, but ok...let's say some horses are mentally ill...Charles Manson horses. But Max ain't one of them. He was fine when she got him. That means there is a good chance to reverse the process.
That statement shows your inexperiance perfectly. I've come accross one mean horse. Was it possibly hormonal? more then likely. was he a nasty piece of work that was out to do damage? hell yes!!! If I hadnt had him shot would he have killed someone? deffinatly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by corporate pride View Post
was the horse scared of something?? i'm not serious by the way but according to dsj that horses only do this if something scares them.
No the little horror was being bloody minded, didnt want to go out to the field (away from the feed buckets) and decided to pull away. I wasnt having it, so he reared up, span and then double barrelled me. Was it premeditated? as far as a horse can premeditate things yes, pulling away didnt get him his own way so he tried anouther option. I can tell you that the next time he tried it I made him think the world was ending. He never did it after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ46 View Post
Ok, so getting kicked was not your fault. (I never said it was, simply that is is most of the time people get kicked.) But your horse was either afraid or in pain or otherwise distressed. Please do some research in horse psychology. A horse doesn't have the mental function to think out meanness. He was being a horse, reacting in a defensive manner. I mean, you know these are prey animals, right? Anything that upsets them, they strike out. You were in the horse's blind spot. He was distressed. He saw a blur behind him. He struck out. End of story. This is so basic. It wasn't meanness. It was defensiveness.
Ever seen colts playing and tussling for dominance. I knew a woman who was killed because her normaly saint like 3 yr old colt decided that the show ring was the perfect time to play, he reared up, struck out and then came down on her head, crushing it. She died instantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear View Post
He is the head of the spanish riding school in Vienna, Austria. I believe his methods are used to train the lipizanner stallions? Extreme high school & disciplined methods, also used in the training of the horses for Cavalia.
Was not IS, he died over 100 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliz View Post

At the end of the day, the horse is only an animal. I don't think it is worth risking human life around a dangerous animal. There are thousands of safe, sane horses going to waste every day. It is inevitable that horses will be slaughtered every day, why not let the bad ones take the place of the good ones? Sounds harsh, but that is how I feel. Yes, it is a shame if the horse is only bad because it is ruined by a person, but stuff happens. Move on.

well said

DSJ have you ever delt with a horse with "red mist" syndrome? those are real "mean" horses. They work them selves up about something and then it is though they get a red mist infront of thier eyes. They attack every thing they see, be it humans, dogs, chickens, barrels, bushes.
Very very dangerou, quite prevalent in OTTB's

RIDE your horse FORWARDS and keep him STRAIGHT


Last edited by faye; 06-28-2011 at 02:40 PM.
faye is offline  
post #189 of 200 Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 348
• Horses: 1
Faye, you use words like "decided" and "premeditated." Science says a horse can't do that. They do not have the brain structures. Please read post 176 in this thread about prey animals. These are simple facts. Write an equine scientist if you don't believe me.

If fact, all of you all...PLEASE...email a university equine scientist about this. Get some facts.
DSJ46 is offline  
post #190 of 200 Old 06-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ46 View Post
Stating facts (not my opinion) over and over, I felt was necessary as people didn't seem to get it.
Perhaps it is you who doesn't get it. You stated your opinion/\'"facts". If people agree, fine, if they don't, drop it.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
? on Taking Horse Portraits Tyler Horse Pictures 14 04-14-2010 11:25 AM
Taking your horse for a walk! Hoofprints in the Sand Trail Riding 68 04-05-2010 05:37 PM
I'm taking my horse to horse camp in July! What should I bring? Brianna6432 Horse Talk 4 03-02-2010 12:11 AM
Taking on a quite chubby horse.. TurninBurnin09 Horse Training 4 08-26-2009 09:33 AM
Taking your horse to college...would you do it? Wallaby Horse Talk 15 03-26-2009 09:22 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome