How can a male get started on horse riding? - Page 18 - The Horse Forum

 435Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 296 Old 06-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 8,824
• Horses: 4
Politically, I'm somewhere to the right of Rush Limbaugh. However, horses don't care. So if you want to ride, ride. If people think you are gay, a transvestite, a sissy...ignore them. Part of being an adult is doing what you believe is right instead of worrying about what others will think of you.

At 55, I'm SOOOO glad I'm not a teen anymore. I just wish my body recovered from injuries or exercise as quickly...other than that, 55 is FAR more enjoyable than 17!

My wife and I rode this morning. I don't care if anyone thought I was gay, hetero, ugly, cool, etc. We had fun. Mostly. Mia was having one of her "You're not the boss of me" days, and freaking over asphalt patches on the road. Given how rarely the local county repairs roads, it may well have been the first time in her life that she had seen a patch...but I was far too busy keeping her moving, not letting her turn & staying on to worry if anyone thought anything about my sexuality.

Yesterday, Mia dragged a leg thru a staghorn cholla cactus. Again, as she covered her hind leg in spines and wanted to bolt, staying on and keeping her in one place kept me busy. That is life with horses. Mia would much rather be ridden by a skillful homosexual than by me. There are undoubtedly homosexuals who could have rolled a cigarette while riding her out. So what? Mia has me & I have her, and what WE do together is what matters when we ride.

If you can't worry more about your horse than other people, please don't ride. It won't be safe for you, and it won't be good for the horse either. If you are REALLY lucky, you'll meet an opinionated, dominate, nervous, willing, sweet horse - like Mia. And she'll keep you too busy stretching your riding skill to worry about some weenie on the sidelines of life!

Mia & I about 20 minutes after the cactus yesterday.She was staring at a vicious moving van, which had rumbling sounds coming from its belly (hungry!). Do you see me looking around, worried if someone will see me with one hand on the saddle horn? Nope! And Mia wasn't even rebelling at this point...just feeling nervous:


"There goes Earl!"

Last edited by bsms; 06-15-2013 at 03:30 PM.
bsms is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #172 of 296 Old 06-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Desert from Hell, CA.
Posts: 1,377
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post

My wife and I rode this morning. I don't care if anyone thought I was gay, hetero, ugly, cool, etc. We had fun. Mostly. Mia was having one of her "You're not the boss of me" days, and freaking over asphalt patches on the road. Given how rarely the local county repairs roads, it may well have been the first time in her life that she had seen a patch...but I was far too busy keeping her moving, not letting her turn & staying on to worry if anyone thought anything about my sexuality.

Yesterday, Mia dragged a leg thru a staghorn cholla cactus. Again, as she covered her hind leg in spines and wanted to bolt, staying on and keeping her in one place kept me busy. That is life with horses. Mia would much rather be ridden by a skillful homosexual than by me. There are undoubtedly homosexuals who could have rolled a cigarette while riding her out. So what? Mia has me & I have her, and what WE do together is what matters when we ride.
Just wanting to say, I giggled way too much at this =)

I also agree that spending time thinking about other people, your hair/clothes/how cool you look, nails, whatever while riding a horse is probably not all that safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth, the Goblin King
I move the stars for no one.
RIP Pumpkin: 2012-8/26/13
demonwolfmoon is offline  
post #173 of 296 Old 06-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 810
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2many View Post
Not to be rude but seems the redundancy just keeps going. And its a bit creepy (IMO). Starting to think someone just wants attention and if I am wrong I am sorry but just ride **** it!
Completely agree.

We're either being trolled... or... well, who knows. :)
nvr2many, SueNH and Dustbunny like this.


The hardest part isn't finding what we need to be, it's being content with who we are.
jinxremoving is offline  
post #174 of 296 Old 06-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 810
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
Look at those heels down! You have a career as a hunter / jumper!
soenjer55 and wild old thing like this.


The hardest part isn't finding what we need to be, it's being content with who we are.
jinxremoving is offline  
post #175 of 296 Old 06-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: yankee ct where we live forever
Posts: 310
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
Politically, I'm somewhere to the right of Rush Limbaugh. However, horses don't care. So if you want to ride, ride. If people think you are gay, a transvestite, a sissy...ignore them. Part of being an adult is doing what you believe is right instead of worrying about what others will think of you.

At 55, I'm SOOOO glad I'm not a teen anymore. I just wish my body recovered from injuries or exercise as quickly...other than that, 55 is FAR more enjoyable than 17!

My wife and I rode this morning. I don't care if anyone thought I was gay, hetero, ugly, cool, etc. We had fun. Mostly. Mia was having one of her "You're not the boss of me" days, and freaking over asphalt patches on the road. Given how rarely the local county repairs roads, it may well have been the first time in her life that she had seen a patch...but I was far too busy keeping her moving, not letting her turn & staying on to worry if anyone thought anything about my sexuality.

Yesterday, Mia dragged a leg thru a staghorn cholla cactus. Again, as she covered her hind leg in spines and wanted to bolt, staying on and keeping her in one place kept me busy. That is life with horses. Mia would much rather be ridden by a skillful homosexual than by me. There are undoubtedly homosexuals who could have rolled a cigarette while riding her out. So what? Mia has me & I have her, and what WE do together is what matters when we ride.

If you can't worry more about your horse than other people, please don't ride. It won't be safe for you, and it won't be good for the horse either. If you are REALLY lucky, you'll meet an opinionated, dominate, nervous, willing, sweet horse - like Mia. And she'll keep you too busy stretching your riding skill to worry about some weenie on the sidelines of life!

Mia & I about 20 minutes after the cactus yesterday.She was staring at a vicious moving van, which had rumbling sounds coming from its belly (hungry!). Do you see me looking around, worried if someone will see me with one hand on the saddle horn? Nope! And Mia wasn't even rebelling at this point...just feeling nervous:

I'm somewhere to the left of all the Kennedys, Nancy Pelosi and possibly Karl Marx but I love your post and your sentiments! And I can't stop smiling over here.

Spot on!!

(your Mia is a pretty thing)

(ps. Look out for horse eating killer frogs!)
demonwolfmoon likes this.

-Cynthia
wild old thing is offline  
post #176 of 296 Old 06-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Desert from Hell, CA.
Posts: 1,377
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild old thing View Post
I'm somewhere to the left of all the Kennedys, Nancy Pelosi and possibly Karl Marx but I love your post and your sentiments! And I can't stop smiling over here.

Spot on!!

(your Mia is a pretty thing)

(ps. Look out for horse eating killer frogs!)
LOLZ, I"m somewhere outside of the borders along with the whole "FFS we need something FAR DIFFERENT" because what we have AIN'T WORKING!"

Is there a place for that? Normally I'd say I'm in the middle somewhere with little feelers in both directions, but I kinda feel like politics have gotten wayyyy out of hand and out of touch lately X_X


If this is a troll he isn't a good one. I'd lean towards SUPER INSECURE TEENAGER, myself. ;)
wild old thing likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth, the Goblin King
I move the stars for no one.
RIP Pumpkin: 2012-8/26/13
demonwolfmoon is offline  
post #177 of 296 Old 06-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: yankee ct where we live forever
Posts: 310
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon View Post
LOLZ, I"m somewhere outside of the borders along with the whole "FFS we need something FAR DIFFERENT" because what we have AIN'T WORKING!"

Is there a place for that? Normally I'd say I'm in the middle somewhere with little feelers in both directions, but I kinda feel like politics have gotten wayyyy out of hand and out of touch lately X_X


If this is a troll he isn't a good one. I'd lean towards SUPER INSECURE TEENAGER, myself. ;)
Ditto on the politics.

And double ditto on the troll thoughts.

-Cynthia
wild old thing is offline  
post #178 of 296 Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mountains of NH
Posts: 2,914
• Horses: 3
I'm leaning to a person much younger than 17. 12-14 is more like it.
SueNH is offline  
post #179 of 296 Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 364
• Horses: 0
I'm kind of awkward, so what should I say when I call?

P.S. Folks, if you think I'm trolling you may as well leave this thread. There is no point in talking to someone if you think they're trolling. Just do yourself a favor and leave.

Last edited by futuredoctor; 06-15-2013 at 07:26 PM.
futuredoctor is offline  
post #180 of 296 Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,487
• Horses: 0
"Hi, my name is ____ and I'm interested in taking riding lessons at your barn/stable."
Posted via Mobile Device
GamingGrrl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
howd you get started riding lasso Horse Riding 26 02-25-2013 07:22 PM
Getting a two year old started on riding? Ladybug2001 Horse Training 23 02-04-2013 08:21 PM
Ok post pictures of you when you first started riding. Buckcherry Horse Pictures 11 11-27-2010 11:59 PM
Just started taking riding lessons.. AmberPick Horse Riding 13 09-29-2010 02:06 PM
Will I ever learn English riding? Discouraged male.. JImmyG English Riding 23 06-14-2009 05:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome