How can a male get started on horse riding? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

How can a male get started on horse riding?

This is a discussion on How can a male get started on horse riding? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Horse deep in male

Like Tree435Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-08-2013, 09:37 PM
  #21
Yearling
I guess you start the same place that (almost) any new rider does...try to take some lessons.

Or you could be like my husband...he's had two lessons and he thinks he can learn on the job so to speak. I'll let you know how that one goes X_X
futuredoctor likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-08-2013, 09:57 PM
  #22
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon    
I guess you start the same place that (almost) any new rider does...try to take some lessons.

Or you could be like my husband...he's had two lessons and he thinks he can learn on the job so to speak. I'll let you know how that one goes X_X
Mwaaaaaaaahahahahaha (evil laugh)...

Our husbands should meet. Mine has never had a lesson. I took him trailriding, and he said (deep, macho-voice here): C'mon, I ride motorcycles. How different can it be?"

He learned many things that day, yet he says the most important lesson was that, while you can wear boxers on a motorcycles, he does not recommend it on an English saddle.
Wallaby, littrella, bsms and 8 others like this.
     
    06-08-2013, 10:15 PM
  #23
Yearling
[QUOTE=bsms;2743002]I started at 50, after spending much of my adult life strapped in ejection seats.



So you had plenty of practice for riding horses. :)
     
    06-08-2013, 10:17 PM
  #24
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by freia    
Oooo, ooo, I got it. The ultimate response if "the guys" give you a hard time:

"Oh yeah? If riding is such a girlie-sport, how come we have to wear helmets and flack-jackets?"

People at the higher levels have quite the work-out regiments as well. I'm hoping some of them will post.
I went through this recently. My sisters husband teaches Mixed Martial Arts and he made a rather obscene comment about male riders to which I replied:

"What are you talking about? I'm surrounded by mostly fit beautiful girls all day in tight pants while you're wrestling your (male) buddies to the ground and pinning them there?" :)
Wallaby, kenda, bsms and 10 others like this.
     
    06-08-2013, 10:26 PM
  #25
Trained
[quote=AnrewPL;2745482]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms    
I started at 50, after spending much of my adult life strapped in ejection seats...

So you had plenty of practice for riding horses. :)
Yeah. I'm having a problem finding a saddle with a 5 point harness like the F-4 had...but a lot of horses seem to have the rocket motor part down pat!
     
    06-08-2013, 10:47 PM
  #26
Yearling
My 9 year old son does lessons. He loves showing off the 6 pack abs he's developing from all the posting he does.
     
    06-08-2013, 10:51 PM
  #27
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxremoving    

"What are you talking about? I'm surrounded by mostly fit beautiful girls all day in tight pants while you're wrestling your (male) buddies to the ground and pinning them there?" :)

Oh so true
     
    06-08-2013, 10:56 PM
  #28
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by littrella    
My 9 year old son does lessons. He loves showing off the 6 pack abs he's developing from all the posting he does.
My sister friend (boy) used to be severely teased for being in gymnastics for most of his like. So funny when girls startes discovering boys he was one of the only ripped guys out there. His body was to die for!! The guys where jealous and the girls were throwing themselves at him!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    06-08-2013, 11:52 PM
  #29
Green Broke
I haven't read all the posts (so far). Do not think riding horses is feminine. At barns and taking lessons, you will find more females. Guys usually don't do the boarding thing or lessons once they learn the basics. In no means does it make it wrong to do either. We only pleasure ride and you will find more guys actually riding out of the barn.

One thing I haven't seen said yet. Don't worry about what others think (you will figure this out as you get older). When I was your age, I was the same way, worrying about what others think and looking for approval of others (more of my parents but others too). Do what you want. It doesn't matter what others think. If they don't like you for you, too bad for them.

Start out with lessons to learn the basic control. No matter what type of riding, the basic controls are the same. Then try out riding English and western. Western I think is easier. English is more along the lines for shows, dressage or polo. Western is for working on a ranch or pleasure riding. There are some that go for both.

I started riding when I was 36. Knowing now the percentages of female vs male, I wish I had gotten into horses earlier, lol. But then I wouldn't be where I am now which I'm happy with.

So I guess I'm saying "Go for it". It is not a feminine thing. After you ride the first time, you will have sore muscles where you didn't know you had muscles. I've got a few horses that anyone says it is feminine can come ride. They won't think so after or the next day.
Posted via Mobile Device
freia and futuredoctor like this.
     
    06-09-2013, 12:35 AM
  #30
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxremoving    
I went through this recently. My sisters husband teaches Mixed Martial Arts and he made a rather obscene comment about male riders to which I replied:

"What are you talking about? I'm surrounded by mostly fit beautiful girls all day in tight pants while you're wrestling your (male) buddies to the ground and pinning them there?" :)
1. Good point. I guess that would be a bonus about riding. I've seen a lot of beautiful riders.

2. Not only are they pinning other men down, they're usually in tight clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usandpets    
I haven't read all the posts (so far). Do not think riding horses is feminine. At barns and taking lessons, you will find more females. Guys usually don't do the boarding thing or lessons once they learn the basics. In no means does it make it wrong to do either. We only pleasure ride and you will find more guys actually riding out of the barn.

One thing I haven't seen said yet. Don't worry about what others think (you will figure this out as you get older). When I was your age, I was the same way, worrying about what others think and looking for approval of others (more of my parents but others too). Do what you want. It doesn't matter what others think. If they don't like you for you, too bad for them.

Start out with lessons to learn the basic control. No matter what type of riding, the basic controls are the same. Then try out riding English and western. Western I think is easier. English is more along the lines for shows, dressage or polo. Western is for working on a ranch or pleasure riding. There are some that go for both.

I started riding when I was 36. Knowing now the percentages of female vs male, I wish I had gotten into horses earlier, lol. But then I wouldn't be where I am now which I'm happy with.

So I guess I'm saying "Go for it". It is not a feminine thing. After you ride the first time, you will have sore muscles where you didn't know you had muscles. I've got a few horses that anyone says it is feminine can come ride. They won't think so after or the next day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
howd you get started riding lasso Horse Riding 26 02-25-2013 08:22 PM
Getting a two year old started on riding? Ladybug2001 Horse Training 23 02-04-2013 09:21 PM
Ok post pictures of you when you first started riding. Buckcherry Horse Pictures 11 11-28-2010 12:59 AM
Just started taking riding lessons.. AmberPick Horse Riding 13 09-29-2010 03:06 PM
Will I ever learn English riding? Discouraged male.. JImmyG English Riding 23 06-14-2009 06:06 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0