how do you help a horse to be less nervous?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

how do you help a horse to be less nervous?

This is a discussion on how do you help a horse to be less nervous? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • How do you make a horse less jumpy
  • Nervous or jumpy horses

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Wallaby
  • 2 Post By Skyseternalangel

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-17-2012, 10:21 PM
  #1
Foal
how do you help a horse to be less nervous?

my horse,valentin, is a very nervous,jumpy horse.even just for a trail ride with noone but me,&the horses he lives with&whoevers riding them,we think its because he's blind in one eye,but he's always been pretty skiddish.I was just wondering if there was any ideas(or if its even possible)to help him be less nervous?he's 19 and he's always been rode&hes been blind in that eye for years,if that helps you all
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-17-2012, 10:32 PM
  #2
Super Moderator
Be confident!

The more confidence you have, the more confidence you'll inspire your horse to have and a confident horse=a less spooky one. :)
Skyseternalangel likes this.
     
    02-17-2012, 10:39 PM
  #3
Foal
Its not that I think he's scary,or don't trust him or anything,im fine on him,its just that whoever im riding with,it freaks them out,i personally didn't think he was so bad untill today&it just seems to be getting worse
     
    02-17-2012, 10:46 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby    
Be confident!

The more confidence you have, the more confidence you'll inspire your horse to have and a confident horse=a less spooky one. :)
its not that he scars me,or I don't trust him,because I do,but he just seems to be geting more nervous everytime I ride,and even just walking around the property he stays on&its starting to scare the people I ride with
     
    02-17-2012, 11:07 PM
  #5
Foal
Well, what I'd do would be lots of desensitizing to possible 'scary' things. Also, before I started riding my mare I would take her out in hand and walk around the property, up and down the roads and generally around where I might ride her in the future. I'd pony her off another horse if I could.

I'd just take her out for little 'walks' until she was totally calm and cool with being in those areas/leaving home/going down roads and whatnot.

It helped get her very comfortable with leaving the property, the roads, all of that stuff. Not sure if it'd really help your guy, but it might be worth a shot. :3
     
    02-18-2012, 01:22 AM
  #6
Yearling
Do the other people ride on his blind side? Maybe no one should be on that side and if riding in the field keep his good eye on the rail maybe would help.
     
    02-18-2012, 01:50 AM
  #7
Showing
Other people have no business freaking out over your horse. Obviously he's fine, and their perceptions of his behavior PROBABLY make it worse. I speak from experience. If I'm confident, my horse is confident. If I'm confident and then someone says omg he spooked!! HE'S SO BIG OMG then he starts getting riled up and he starts dancing and spooking more, at barrels at leaves flying, at me sneezing or coughing.

But what you can do to help, is have these people help brush your horse or whatnot to help THEM get over it.

And then do some simple head lowering exercises, releasing your horse's jaw via a finger in the corner of their mouth. Massaging the muscles along their neck and back (not the spine though.) Do take him for little walks and sack him out to things to build HIS confidence up.

Don't let other people frighten your horse.. horses are so quick to pick up on emotions, that's probably a big part of your problem.
Wallaby and cmarie like this.
     
    02-20-2012, 05:49 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrros    
Well, what I'd do would be lots of desensitizing to possible 'scary' things. Also, before I started riding my mare I would take her out in hand and walk around the property, up and down the roads and generally around where I might ride her in the future. I'd pony her off another horse if I could.

I'd just take her out for little 'walks' until she was totally calm and cool with being in those areas/leaving home/going down roads and whatnot.

It helped get her very comfortable with leaving the property, the roads, all of that stuff. Not sure if it'd really help your guy, but it might be worth a shot. :3
thanks I deffinatly will try walking him around:)
     
    02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
Other people have no business freaking out over your horse. Obviously he's fine, and their perceptions of his behavior PROBABLY make it worse. I speak from experience. If I'm confident, my horse is confident. If I'm confident and then someone says omg he spooked!! HE'S SO BIG OMG then he starts getting riled up and he starts dancing and spooking more, at barrels at leaves flying, at me sneezing or coughing.

But what you can do to help, is have these people help brush your horse or whatnot to help THEM get over it.

And then do some simple head lowering exercises, releasing your horse's jaw via a finger in the corner of their mouth. Massaging the muscles along their neck and back (not the spine though.) Do take him for little walks and sack him out to things to build HIS confidence up.

Don't let other people frighten your horse.. horses are so quick to pick up on emotions, that's probably a big part of your problem.
thanks,i never really thought about that,but it makes alot of sense,i will deffinatly put them to work:)haha thanks
     

Tags
nervous horse, riding

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nervous...may buy my first horse corgi Horses for Sale 10 12-01-2011 07:38 PM
looking for a new horse (nervous rider) Loklir Horse Breeds 18 10-23-2011 10:20 PM
Nervous Horse: How to fix? Brighteyes Horse Training 11 06-15-2009 07:42 PM
Nervous horse - advice, please? Equuestriaan Horse Training 3 04-05-2009 04:53 PM
Young Nervous Horse stumbles Horse Training 7 10-06-2007 11:56 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0