How to help a cinchy horse?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

How to help a cinchy horse?

This is a discussion on How to help a cinchy horse? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • What to do about a cinchy horse
  • How to help horse not be scinchy

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-21-2012, 04:35 PM
  #1
Foal
How to help a cinchy horse?

My paint mare is very cinchy. My farrier and horse trainer took a look at her to see what the problem was and that's what they came up with. She side steps away from me when I bring the saddle towards her. (We checked the fit of the tack and that all fits just fine) When I go to tighten the girth she starts to paw at the dirt (or now snow) and shakes her head. The horse trainer is not able to come out as often since there is now snow on the ground so I am trying to work with her myself. During the summer that we got her I went to put my left foot in the stirrup and when I went to swing my other leg over she side kicked me with her back leg and being a new horse owner, im not going to lie, it scared me. Also, when you go to put your foot in the stirrup she starts to walk away. Making it very hard for a beginner to be comfortable riding. When we bought her the owners assured us she would be a great beginners horse but now I am questioning it. Anything I can do to correct this problem? Any little info helps. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-21-2012, 04:45 PM
  #2
Trained
Sounds to me like you need some help to get her respect. She is taking advantage of you, which ANY horse will eventually.......you really need the help of a trainer so that you can make some progress. I am not sure what you did when she tried to kick you, but I sure hope you let her think she was going to DIE for a few seconds-otherwise she will likely do it again. They are like little kids in mst cases, and will take advantage when allowed to.
deserthorsewoman likes this.
     
    12-21-2012, 04:50 PM
  #3
Trained
100% agree with franknbeans.
What did your trainer do with her?
     
    12-21-2012, 05:20 PM
  #4
Showing
She is doing what she can to intimidate you as she doesn't want to be ridden. Take her and lunge her for a few minutes each way then touch the saddle to her shoulder. If she moves away, set it down quickly and lunger her for a few more minutes. You may have to do this three or four times until she makes the connection. When she'll stand place the saddle on her back for a few minutes and remove it. Do this a few times then begin to cinch her up. Again if she shows any negative behavior quickly remove the saddle and repeat the lunging. When you cinch her do it snug then walk her a dozen steps then tighten it again. Take her for a walk then come back to where you were and unsaddle her and put her away. Don't groom her or ride her as this is her reward for better behaviour. Do this each time for the next few days and you'll likely find there won't be much need to lunge her. I don't think her kicking at you will be an issue any more. Horses get to quickly learn the routine so sometimes saddle her up, just groom her then unsaddle and put her away or take her for a long walk and allow her to graze a bit.
     
    12-21-2012, 05:55 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
She is doing what she can to intimidate you as she doesn't want to be ridden. Take her and lunge her for a few minutes each way then touch the saddle to her shoulder. If she moves away, set it down quickly and lunger her for a few more minutes. You may have to do this three or four times until she makes the connection. When she'll stand place the saddle on her back for a few minutes and remove it. Do this a few times then begin to cinch her up. Again if she shows any negative behavior quickly remove the saddle and repeat the lunging. When you cinch her do it snug then walk her a dozen steps then tighten it again. Take her for a walk then come back to where you were and unsaddle her and put her away. Don't groom her or ride her as this is her reward for better behaviour. Do this each time for the next few days and you'll likely find there won't be much need to lunge her. I don't think her kicking at you will be an issue any more. Horses get to quickly learn the routine so sometimes saddle her up, just groom her then unsaddle and put her away or take her for a long walk and allow her to graze a bit.
Thank you! But when I got my horse she was not taught to lunge. Is it hard to teach her to do?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-21-2012, 05:58 PM
  #6
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaOllendick    
Thank you! But when I got my horse she was not taught to lunge. Is it hard to teach her to do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Lunging is easy to teach. I taught my two-year-old who was basically unhandled in about one fifteen minute session. Look up videos by Clinton Anderson and definitely ask your trainer.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-21-2012, 06:07 PM
  #7
Foal
Thank you so much! Also how much are the lunge lines? Do you have to have a special one? Also, would lunging my halflinger be a good way to get him to loose weight? Sorry about all the questions lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-21-2012, 06:14 PM
  #8
Super Moderator
My understanding of 'cinchy' is a horse that has a reaction to the girth being tightened and goes from hunching up, bunny hopping right up to a full blown broncing fit
What I'm seeing with your horse is one that associates the saddle with work and has discovered it can avoid work by sidestepping and kicking out
I think some time with an experienced trainer that wouldnt be phased by it would help a lot especially if you can work with them
     
    12-21-2012, 06:34 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaOllendick    
Thank you so much! Also how much are the lunge lines? Do you have to have a special one? Also, would lunging my halflinger be a good way to get him to loose weight? Sorry about all the questions lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Re cost of lunge lines: I think you might be looking at $20-25 for a line, depending on where you live and what's available there or what you are able to order on line. In a pinch, you should be able to use a rope with snap attached - if you're going that route, make sure you're wearing gloves (which you should regardless) and you keep the rope drapped in large loops in one hand to avoid getting caught in it.

Re lunging for weight loss: I personally don't feel this would be appropriate. I always feel the longer a horse is kept lunging, the greater the potential damage to its joints and the greater the boredom factor. When I lunge it's with a view to seeing where the horse has his head at before I ride or as a training exercise to get it used to new equipment.
     
    12-21-2012, 06:34 PM
  #10
Foal
She also bucks when I am able to get on her and especially bucks when I put her at a trot.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cinchy Horse?? madilynnichole Horse Training 9 05-31-2012 03:50 AM
Cinchy Horse dejavuchicka Horse Training 6 05-05-2012 06:59 PM
Cinchy horse and how to fix it? MeryaTeeBars Horse Training 17 04-26-2012 09:06 AM
Cinchy horse. HannahFaith Horse Tack and Equipment 4 04-29-2011 01:04 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0