How many calories are burned while riding and tacking up?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

How many calories are burned while riding and tacking up?

This is a discussion on How many calories are burned while riding and tacking up? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • How many calories do i burn riding a horse
  • How many calories do you burn doing horse riding

Like Tree42Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-14-2013, 11:17 AM
  #1
Foal
How many calories are burned while riding and tacking up?

Okay so some of my friends say that riding is just sitting on a horse and not doing anything and that its not a sport. This makes me soooo mad because we do alottttt more than just sit on a horse! I just wanted to know about how many calories are burned while tacking and riding to prove that we actually do work when riding and doing chores.
It usually takes me about 15-20 minutes tacking up (depending on how dirty my horse is lol) then I walk for about 10 minutes, trot about 20, canter 15-20ish then I jump for like 15. Keep in mind that my horse isnt very trained XD. After that I untack him and bring him back to his paddock. I weigh about 110 lbs and am 5'7 and 15. Also I scoop poop and Im currently working with a pony >:) about an hour a day.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
  #2
Started
Just show her (and all your other friends) this:

     
    01-14-2013, 11:34 AM
  #3
Trained
Wear a heart rate monitor and find out what you personally burn.

Otherwise you can google exercise calculators that will tell you a guesstimate.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
  #4
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by equestrianforever    
Okay so some of my friends say that riding is just sitting on a horse and not doing anything and that its not a sport.
I hate to say this, but your friends could be right. It all depends on how you ride. For me (at my very much novice level) trail riding isn't really much exercise at all. 'Bout the only times my heart gets out of its resting rate are from sheer terror, as when my (vastly more experienced) riding partner decides to go up or down a 45 degree slope.

The only way to get a good answer for you is to check your pulse & breathing, or see if you are sweating on a cold day.
boots likes this.
     
    01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolith    
Just show her (and all your other friends) this:

So, you think equestrianism is easy? {The Re-Make} - YouTube
i love this video!
     
    01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingArabian    
Wear a heart rate monitor and find out what you personally burn.

Otherwise you can google exercise calculators that will tell you a guesstimate.
Posted via Mobile Device
oh okay thanks ill do that
     
    01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf    
I hate to say this, but your friends could be right. It all depends on how you ride. For me (at my very much novice level) trail riding isn't really much exercise at all. 'Bout the only times my heart gets out of its resting rate are from sheer terror, as when my (vastly more experienced) riding partner decides to go up or down a 45 degree slope.

The only way to get a good answer for you is to check your pulse & breathing, or see if you are sweating on a cold day.
Well I don't really just trail ride, some times I do but not very often. For me when I am jumping or when my horse starts to be stupid is when my heart gets out of its resting rate. I've gone up and down a 45 degree angle a couple times and it definetly is exciting lol
     
    01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolith    
Just show her (and all your other friends) this:

So, you think equestrianism is easy? {The Re-Make} - YouTube
I love this video, but they forgot about Endurance. What about riding a horse 50 miles in 5 hours or 100 miles in 12 hours.
goneriding likes this.
     
    01-14-2013, 05:11 PM
  #9
Showing
Instead of taking offense, agree with them and tell them that's what you love about riding - the horse does all the work. That usually takes the wind out of their sails. A successful farmer poked gentle fun at my minister father that he only worked one day a week, and only an hour at that, doing the church service. My father got the farmer back saying that he worked only six days a year, three to put in the crops and three to take them off. In both cases nothing could be farther from the truth.
boots and HorseCrazyTeen like this.
     
    01-16-2013, 05:31 PM
  #10
Trained
You are 5'7" and weigh 110 pounds. Seems to me that you are burning plenty of calories. Geez. What more do they want? You need to eat more and quit worrying about what a bunch of fat lazy people think. Well except this fat lazy person. I think you are getting plenty of exercise.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When Tacking up do you... Brittz Horse Tack and Equipment 24 05-01-2012 11:26 PM
Tacking up problems! snunn1438 Horse Training 7 07-28-2011 04:36 PM
Calories burned while riding eventerdrew Horse Talk 1 03-03-2011 01:17 AM
Getting burned out. NordicJuniper Horse Talk 7 08-23-2009 04:39 AM
tacking up, quit it moomoo Horse Training 7 08-25-2008 11:53 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0