Just a simple question - Page 10 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 103 Old 08-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cali girl :)
Posts: 322
• Horses: 1
Me and my horse are english all the way. I am really into eventing cause you can be wimpy, you dont have to have a 200,000 dollar horse to do it (though most people do for Advance). Most of the people are really down to earth. I have gone through the dressage thing and hunter/jumper thing and its just the people.... Eventing it the best!!! : D i love it...

I rode a bit western and i liked it because it was easy for me a and relaxing cause i was use to english. i dont know why but it never really stuck.

AND english is not all stuck up like people think it is, especially in eventing, you have to be gung-ho and hard core about everything!
Bandera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 103 Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 28
• Horses: 0
I ride Indian style....Bareback and with a simple hackamore.

I'm not one for details or perfection, I would find the critiquing of riding in a show ring or learning a certain discipline frustrating. I just like horses and I like riding them and working with them and training them.

If I do use a saddle, I would go for a western one. But I'm more comfortable riding bareback.

Last edited by PeruvianEquine; 08-02-2010 at 03:52 PM.
PeruvianEquine is offline  
post #93 of 103 Old 08-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hopefully, where I lived yesterday. ;)
Posts: 14
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlitterBug View Post
To be honest, to me, riding is riding. My tack depends on what I'm doing because it will be more functional for the activity and better for the horse, it has nothing to do with my comfort or security level, my balance and confidence are mine, not my saddle's.

To know a horse, to understand a horse's mind and body, is far beyond what any particular "discipline" can offer. If I'm jumping, I'll use a saddle designed for it, as there is a reason it was designed for that and its better for the horse. If I'm working on a physical level with a horse, I will usually ride english, not because I can feel more, but because the horse can move more. The horse has a lot to tell you if you are listening and you can hear just as much through the western saddle.

I usually tack up western for running barrels or working cows, but have had to do it in english tack and it didn't change the performance of me or the horse.

Some say "I ride english", "I ride western", "I run barrels", "I jump", and all I hear is "because that is what I like to do". If you ask me, I just ride for the horse, not the other way around. If you try that, you will find that the horse will give you back so much more. There is a correct biomechanical function for horse and rider that does not change with the tack. Sure, you may see different fads that may be more for the aesthetic appearance and "trends" that may not be the best thing for the horses or the riders body, but when you break it down, an athlete is an athlete.

I've found that in teaching people, the easiest people to teach are those that aren't doing it for themselves. One of my students wanted her daughter to exercise her horse and had her take a lesson. The daughter, a teenager, could care less about the horse, but wanted to do it for her mother. The horse had never worked so beautifully. My brother wanted me to teach him to ride so he could relate to his girlfriend. My brother is a natural athlete, but hasn't spent a lot of time in the saddle. In less than an hour, he was doing thing easily that take most people months to get a feel for.

I know it sounds crazy and is slightly off topic, but don't worry so much about english or western, don't worry so much about what you like to do. Try riding for someone else, even if that someone else is the horse that you are on. You will find the experience much more rewarding and you will be surprised at the progress you make.
Nicely said
DreamCatcher is offline  
post #94 of 103 Old 08-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,613
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlitterBug View Post
If you ask me, I just ride for the horse, not the other way around.
Um did the horse ask you to ride him? Seriously, some horses might like working OK, but I bet you they like being out in the pasture with their buddies even better. Of course riding is about what the human wants!
ponyboy is offline  
post #95 of 103 Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 307
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Um did the horse ask you to ride him? Seriously, some horses might like working OK, but I bet you they like being out in the pasture with their buddies even better. Of course riding is about what the human wants!

You are speaking of something that you obviously don't understand. The rider can be very benficial to the horse with the right skills and understanding of the horses body. The horse tells people things all the time, most people just don't listen.

Any one of my horses will leave their buddies to come to me, I am the alpha horse. I also do physical rehabilitation with horses and the support that a rider can offer to a horse that has previously ignored in their physical well being is amazing. So yes, when I ride the horse, and the horse feels physically better, releases tight muscles, redistributes the weight on the legs and can begin to make their own physical adjustments, you can bet that horse wants to be ridden.

I'ves seen plenty of horses that enjoy being ridden and enjoy having a job. Its no surprise that these horses belong to people that put the horses agenda ahead of theirs. Its also no surprise that these horses and riders will succeed in the show ring far more than the rider that can't see past the surface of what that riders goals are.
FlitterBug is offline  
post #96 of 103 Old 08-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,613
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlitterBug View Post
You are speaking of something that you obviously don't understand.
That seems to be the standard line of anyone who gets disagreed with around here.

Look at it this way - How often does someone who wins the lottery keep their job? It happens, but not much. Some people and some horses are lucky enough to find their "calling" in life, but for most of us work is work. You say your horses come to you because you're the alpha - Well guess what, most people respond when their bosses call them too. That doesn't mean that they love their jobs.

The only way to know for sure if your horse loves their job is if they do it on their own, without a rider. I've seen that happen but it's very rare.

And the only way you could ride a horse for their pleasure is if you don't try to direct them at all. Just sit there and let them do what they want. Chances are what they will want to do is graze!
ponyboy is offline  
post #97 of 103 Old 08-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
That seems to be the standard line of anyone who gets disagreed with around here.
Naw. It is the standard for people who like to say things but have no reason for their stories so it is easier to tell others they are clueless.


I am with you on that subject Ponyboy (or gee, maybe I am just as clueless as you). I bet most horses would prefer to just not be ridden, so I doubt most people are riding for the horse. Geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitterbug
You are speaking of something that you obviously don't understand.



The question asked by the OP was what style people rode. People have answered it.

I do ride English. No, I did not ask my horse. I know his answer. "No thank you, I will stand here and eat instead, thanks very much." He is allergic to work of any kind. If he has to be ridden it is obvious he enjoys jumping. Ears go up, etc.

It is not so unrealistic that people that say they ride English chose to purchase horses that English is the most suitable discipline for. Why assume that we all just buy a horse and try to shove the square peg into the round hole? Why not assume that the people who say "I ride English" chose their horse because it too likes English?
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #98 of 103 Old 08-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 564
• Horses: 0
I ride western, there wasn't a question about it. My family all barrel races, so when I started riding my mom bought me a barrel saddle. But when I was 12 at a barn we boarded at where my new horse was being started on barrels by my mom there were some english riders. I wanted to try it so one day a lady slapped on a english saddle onto my barrel horse and we trotted around (I already knew how to post). Couple years later i took jumping lessons, on my barrel horse. I loved it. my mare loves it to, she's a pretty jumper. So even if I go to barrel shows every weekend I ride english sometimes and just won my jumper classes at fair last week lol
BarrelRacer86 is offline  
post #99 of 103 Old 08-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Michigannnn
Posts: 175
• Horses: 0
Western. Not pleasure though. Barrel racing-or any speed event. I like it cause i like the feeling of the horses strength beneath you, and how much power it holds.

i Dont like english, IMO its boring. Boring to ride. Boring to watch. Not bashing anyone who rides english just my opiniion

"in a sport you can loose the game, when horseback riding you can loose your life"
zanyoutthere is offline  
post #100 of 103 Old 08-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,580
• Horses: 5
I ride English because it makes me better than everyone else. If you don't ride English then you aren't worth diddly squat.

All horses deserve, at least once in their lives, to be loved by a little girl.
sarahver is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VERY simple gullet question dreamrideredc Western Riding 3 06-23-2009 10:51 AM
simple question melshorsesami Horse Training 2 05-27-2009 04:12 PM
Simple question... savethepitbulls67890 Horse Breeding 4 04-01-2008 05:13 PM
such a simple ... *ArabianPrincess* Horse Training 1 05-14-2007 10:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome