Lesson was AWFUL - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 522
• Horses: 1
Lesson was AWFUL

had my first lesson in 3 years today , it went awful. To start i was in with others who had started a several weeks ago. then i was put on a plod! she just wouldnt go . then when i started to trot i couldnt get the rythm right and i kept leaning forward, im dreading canter and jumping HELP !
Posted via Mobile Device
JamieLeighx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mississippi, Usa
Posts: 2,978
• Horses: 0
Well you're not gonna be perfect the first day you ride in three years! Hang in there, and keep confident.
Katesrider011 is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 125
• Horses: 2
we all have those days try again :) every ride wont be perfect trust me half of mine arn't but i sitll have fun

<font size=2><font face=arial><font color=#000000><3Lexy & Big Boy<3
If your horse says no you either asked the wrong question or asked the question wrong. Pat Parelli
lexypoohhorton is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Central Illinois
Posts: 1,863
• Horses: 0
Horse riding is like riding a bike. Sure I know how to ride a bike. But to be honest, its been about 4 years since I got on my bike. Yes I know how to balance and pedal and do all that stuff, but will I be racing in the Tour De Frace? Heck no.

Your muscles are out of shape. The leg muscles you use to ride are ones that aren't used to that extreme in many othe things. Once you take a couple more lessons, your muscle "memory" will start to come back.
Also, the same goes for how to ride. You probably remember 90% of what to do when you ride, but the other 10% is gone. And again, I say give it a few lesons, and those little details will come back.

And, don't take offense that you were put in a class with beginners. Your instructor probably did that until she gets a feel of what level you are at. I'm sure in a month or two you will be moved to lessons with more advanced riders.

Welcome back to riding!!!
A knack for horses is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 125
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by A knack for horses View Post
Horse riding is like riding a bike. Sure I know how to ride a bike. But to be honest, its been about 4 years since I got on my bike. Yes I know how to balance and pedal and do all that stuff, but will I be racing in the Tour De Frace? Heck no.

Your muscles are out of shape. The leg muscles you use to ride are ones that aren't used to that extreme in many othe things. Once you take a couple more lessons, your muscle "memory" will start to come back.
Also, the same goes for how to ride. You probably remember 90% of what to do when you ride, but the other 10% is gone. And again, I say give it a few lesons, and those little details will come back.

And, don't take offense that you were put in a class with beginners. Your instructor probably did that until she gets a feel of what level you are at. I'm sure in a month or two you will be moved to lessons with more advanced riders.

Welcome back to riding!!!
100% well put! couldn't agree more!

<font size=2><font face=arial><font color=#000000><3Lexy & Big Boy<3
If your horse says no you either asked the wrong question or asked the question wrong. Pat Parelli
lexypoohhorton is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: U.S
Posts: 172
• Horses: 1
I agree with the above posts. Least you stayed on! With time you'll get into the swing of things again.
Xela is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,157
• Horses: 0
I can't remember which was worse about my first "return to riding" lesson, being put on a 28 year old half dead horse that was designated for 6 year olds, or not being able to get my butt out of the saddle to post! Don't worry, it'll all come back and you'll be posting pics about your progress soon enough!

You just have to see your distance...you don't have to like it.
MyBoyPuck is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 635
• Horses: 0
Cut yourself some slack! You've already accomplished one of the more difficult feats: You took the initiative to schedule a lesson after being on hiatus for three years and followed-through. Good job! The rest will come as you move forward. Try to have fun. =)
Shasta1981 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 169
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by A knack for horses View Post
Horse riding is like riding a bike. Sure I know how to ride a bike. But to be honest, its been about 4 years since I got on my bike. Yes I know how to balance and pedal and do all that stuff, but will I be racing in the Tour De Frace? Heck no.

Your muscles are out of shape. The leg muscles you use to
ride are ones that aren't used to that extreme in many othe things. Once you take a couple more lessons, your muscle "memory" will start to come back.
Also, the same goes for how to ride. You probably remember 90% of what to do when you ride, but the other 10% is gone. And again, I say give it a few lesons, and those little details will come back.

And, don't take offense that you were put in a class with

beginners. Your instructor probably did that until she gets a feel of what level you are at. I'm sure in a month or two you will be moved to lessons with more advanced riders.

Welcome back to riding!!!
After my first riding lesson and for many after that, my muscles hurt like hell. So give them time. You've just got to get your 'knack' back. Yeah, its like riding a bike. The first few rides after a few years your all wobbly, with your hands on the brakes all the way round, but then it comes back. So give it a chance.
Posted via Mobile Device
EquineLover is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 149
• Horses: 0
Bad days are all part of progress, you just have to get through them to get to the better ones.

If you're not happy riding with others, prehaps having private lessons might be an idea, so the instructor can focus on you and you only.
HairyCob is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A pig awful day faye Horse Talk 3 01-18-2011 12:42 PM
my awful christmas... how was yours? :) KawaiiCharlie General Off Topic Discussion 10 12-31-2010 12:03 PM
Awful Conditions ShutUpJoe Horse Boarding 29 05-13-2010 10:21 AM
Am I awful to consider this? moomoo Horse Grooming 21 11-04-2008 03:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome