My ankles give out after 45 mins of riding? Why? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

My ankles give out after 45 mins of riding? Why?

This is a discussion on My ankles give out after 45 mins of riding? Why? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree6Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-19-2013, 10:38 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Thank you so much for the input everyone! I run track so I thought my ankles were pretty strong :/ I have done the stair exercise and I do wear braces on both ankles. They seem to help a bit, but my ankles still give out...just a little later. I will definitely try that 2nd exercise. I know my riding is probably awful...I have not had a proper lesson in probably a year :( But then again, I have only ridden a handful of times this year. Trying to find a lesson barn is tough in my area.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-19-2013, 10:39 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenBackJack    
    How does your lower back feel?
    Some instances it aches, but other than that I haven't felt anything.
         
        04-19-2013, 11:11 PM
      #13
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xxEmilyxx    
    Thank you so much for the input everyone! I run track so I thought my ankles were pretty strong :/ I have done the stair exercise and I do wear braces on both ankles. They seem to help a bit, but my ankles still give out...just a little later. I will definitely try that 2nd exercise. I know my riding is probably awful...I have not had a proper lesson in probably a year :( But then again, I have only ridden a handful of times this year. Trying to find a lesson barn is tough in my area.
    Then go with position as suggested by some.

    Also, I question the strength and stability of your adducter muscles (inside thigh) and possibly your lower back and lower abdominals. You do seem a bit stiff. While being videoed will make us tense up, I just wonder.

    And as suggested you probably don't need an official evaluation, etc. by a doctor and PT. Some people are really helped by basic pilates. You can often find the DVDs at a local library.
         
        04-20-2013, 12:03 AM
      #14
    Super Moderator
    So you always ride in half seat like that? I mean, are you intending to be so far out of the saddle?

    It looks like your upper leg is not doing enough of the work, same as maybe not enough core.
    I think a lot of this might be due to you riding much too much off your feet, rather than off your whole leg.

    Rather than just big stretches, try work on stabilizing the ankle. Stand on one leg, other leg kind of out behind you a bit, bend over and touch the ground iwht the opposite finger, come back up to standing, WITHOUT PUTTING THE OTHER LEG DOWN! Do 10 in a row, each side.

    When you are good at that, pust a thick pad of rubbery foam under your foot and do the same excersize. You will feel all of the small muscles one uses to stabilize the balance (in foot and calf) moving to keep you balanced.
         
        04-20-2013, 12:13 AM
      #15
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    So you always ride in half seat like that? I mean, are you intending to be so far out of the saddle?

    It looks like your upper leg is not doing enough of the work, same as maybe not enough core.
    I think a lot of this might be due to you riding much too much off your feet, rather than off your whole leg.

    Rather than just big stretches, try work on stabilizing the ankle. Stand on one leg, other leg kind of out behind you a bit, bend over and touch the ground iwht the opposite finger, come back up to standing, WITHOUT PUTTING THE OTHER LEG DOWN! Do 10 in a row, each side.

    When you are good at that, pust a thick pad of rubbery foam under your foot and do the same excersize. You will feel all of the small muscles one uses to stabilize the balance (in foot and calf) moving to keep you balanced.
    Thank you! I apprciate the advice. As for the half-seat thing, one of the ladies at the barn told me to stick my butt out more and make sure my pelvis is pointing down at the saddle because before I was getting behind on his movement and that was causing him to bolt. So I was probably over-exaggerating it and not to mention, I was very very nervous on my horse. I did NOT want to canter him, but did it for the purpose of the sale video, lol. So that may be half the reason I look stiff and whatnot.
         
        04-20-2013, 01:14 AM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xxEmilyxx    
    Thank you! I apprciate the advice. As for the half-seat thing, one of the ladies at the barn told me to stick my butt out more and make sure my pelvis is pointing down at the saddle because before I was getting behind on his movement and that was causing him to bolt. So I was probably over-exaggerating it and not to mention, I was very very nervous on my horse. I did NOT want to canter him, but did it for the purpose of the sale video, lol. So that may be half the reason I look stiff and whatnot.
    I'd get a second opinion.
    jumanji321 and bsms like this.
         
        04-20-2013, 12:13 PM
      #17
    Trained
    I'm not an English rider, but I really liked this thread:

    Riding the canter in half seat
         
        04-20-2013, 11:05 PM
      #18
    Foal
    Aside from all the really excellent observations and suggestions, I'd like to suggest a chiropractor for yourself. The way you describe the feeling in your ankles sounds like pinched nerve. IF that's the case then it probably isn't too bad right now but of course it will get much worse as time goes on.
    I know not everyone is into the chiro thing and I can appreciate that. A lot of times chiropractors will offer reduced or even free xrays and or exams for a first time patient. You could just go for the consult and see if there is anything going on in your lower back which could be causing the problem. And likely it is being caused by the way your riding which is an easy fix. Yea!
    Barring all that, try some pilates, stretching or yoga. That will go a long way toward easing the muscle tightness in your lower back which will release pressure on your spinal nerves.
    Hope that helps a little.
         
        04-10-2014, 07:41 PM
      #19
    Weanling
    Been a year since I started this thread & things have not improved :( I haven't been riding much this year, but I just got a lease horse and I'm just so upset about my ankles. I run track, do all the exercises/stretches that you have all suggested...my ankles seem strong, but it doesn't seem to be helping. They still just go limp after about 30-35 mins. I'm just so frustrated...I would love to start eventing, but I just feel so limited. I think my next step is going to be a chiropractor?

    Also, its the sides of my ankles that give out. How can I strengthen that part? Even when I am just walking on foot, sometimes they will give out and I'll kinda roll onto the outer side of my ankle. I'm pretty sure it is genetic. My dad and brothers have weak ankles as well. However it didn't affect their football-playing as it does my riding :(

    Also, do you think tall boots may help? Maybe add more security? I currently ride in paddock boots and half-chaps.
         
        04-11-2014, 10:45 AM
      #20
    Trained
    Since the issue also appears when you are walking, I think you need to see a doctor about this. You need to determine exactly what part of your body is causing the problem so you know what your options are to "fix" it.
    MinervaELS likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Extreme pain in my ankles while riding OTTB Horse Riding 6 10-16-2012 10:54 PM
    Boarding in caledon ontario - 5 mins to palgrave park and 30 mins to woodbine ROBANDNAD Horse Boarding 0 09-05-2012 06:41 AM
    rolling my ankles while riding MySerenity Jumping 6 08-20-2012 03:40 PM
    Flexible ankles or riding problem? MoodIndigo Horse Riding Critique 17 11-09-2010 01:50 AM
    Riding boots with ankles too large? Caboose Horse Tack and Equipment 7 03-17-2009 08:26 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0