My horse is naggy! Help!!
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

My horse is naggy! Help!!

This is a discussion on My horse is naggy! Help!! within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Naggy mare

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-14-2013, 01:01 PM
  #1
Foal
My horse is naggy! Help!!

Okay so my new mare is really naggy, she doesn't like being tacked up but were getting round that. But when im trying to school her she always ha her ears flat back, im riding her calmly and softly but she still seems to hate it. What can I do to cheer her up!? HELP.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-14-2013, 01:05 PM
  #2
Green Broke
How long have you had her?
Was she fully vetted prior to purchase or after you brought her home - specifically thinking teeth, ulcers and/or back pain?
Are you certain your tack fits her and have you changed the tack compared to what she was being ridden in previously (ie new bit type)?
Did you ride her pre-purchase and, if so, did you see similar behavior then?
Palomine likes this.
     
    04-14-2013, 03:22 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by themacpack    
How long have you had her?
Was she fully vetted prior to purchase or after you brought her home - specifically thinking teeth, ulcers and/or back pain?
Are you certain your tack fits her and have you changed the tack compared to what she was being ridden in previously (ie new bit type)?
Did you ride her pre-purchase and, if so, did you see similar behavior then?
I bought her from the owner of the riding stables I ride at so I have know her all my life. Hr tack if professionally fitted. She is 10.
     
    04-14-2013, 06:12 PM
  #4
Showing
Has this been a constant thing or is it a new behavior?

Pictures would help.
     
    04-14-2013, 06:25 PM
  #5
Trained
She might be like that until she gets used to you. Mares are so different than geldings in regards to new homes/handlers. Buy a gelding, feed him, pet him, after a day, he is like, ok cool, new owner. Mare studies you, not neccessarily being mean, but not all warm & fuzzy either, until she thinks you are okay to warm up to. This could be the case with your horse, or...she could just be a grumpy nag, they do exist.
     
    04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
  #6
Green Broke
May also be you are babying her too much and being aggravating in general.

Horses as a rule don't do as well with "softly" as they do with firm.

And horses cheer up when they have a firm leader. She is trying to put you in your place, which is not as the boss of her.

If you are babying her, quit it. If you are giving treats, quit it. If you spend time talking to her, quit it. Establish yourself as leader, not the flunky here.

The more you behave as a leader, the less horse will show this attitude.

And if this is used saddle, you might need to check it again for defects as well as address your tacking mechanics, as well as riding.
Skyseternalangel likes this.
     
    04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
  #7
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear    
She might be like that until she gets used to you. Mares are so different than geldings in regards to new homes/handlers. Buy a gelding, feed him, pet him, after a day, he is like, ok cool, new owner. Mare studies you, not neccessarily being mean, but not all warm & fuzzy either, until she thinks you are okay to warm up to. This could be the case with your horse, or...she could just be a grumpy nag, they do exist.
My horse has been reading the wrong manual then!
     
    04-14-2013, 07:10 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventer101    
I bought her from the owner of the riding stables I ride at so I have know her all my life. Hr tack if professionally fitted. She is 10.
That doesn't really answer the questions posed at all.
     
    04-14-2013, 07:50 PM
  #9
Started
I agree with Palomine. And there is a big difference between 'light / soft contact' and 'loose contact' that can actually mean bouncing reins are bopping her in the mouth, or you're sending mixed signals. Your seat might be unbalanced, you might be hitting her too hard on the back. I suggest posting pictures / videos, so we can better help you.

But you didn't answer the questions posed... when's the last time she was fully vetted? When did you have her teeth done last?
     
    04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
  #10
Super Moderator
A happy horse is a well-mannered and obedient horse. I think you are way to worried about 'how she feels' and not nearly worried enough about how she makes YOU feel. Quit putting up with her crap and get her attention. She should have her ears up and be watching and listening to you waiting for your next request.

I would think you might just be 'nagging' at her instead of expecting her to be obedient.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0