Neighbors getting mad about you riding on the right away - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Neighbors getting mad about you riding on the right away

This is a discussion on Neighbors getting mad about you riding on the right away within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Right away on my land neighbor rides dirt bikes on it
  • Why is there a piece of grass on my mailbox

Like Tree71Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-14-2012, 02:19 AM
  #21
Super Moderator
I tell you - you have it easy if that is all she is complaining about!

I live in a rural area of the UK and 15-20 years ago all was peaceful. What you would call 'quaint' old cottages, families who have been in the area for generations, village shops, and most involved in rural activities or knowing about them.

Then they started building houses, several crammed into one area with postage stamps for gardens, to pricey for locals to buy so sold as second homes or 'outsiders' move in.
They complain about anything and everything. Dive to fast on narrow single track roads, complain about old Tom's rooster crowing at dawn, complain about the ewes and lambs bleating to each other, complain about tractors on the roads, complain about cows being brought in for milking and holding them up.

This has been going on for many years. One farmer I knew had an estate built on some land he sold. The incomers complained as above. Then one summer when it was wet, he had the driers on to dry the harvest, they ran until 10 p.m. When the estate complained they were told that he could run them legally 24/7.
It was the start of a rural war!
Farmer took no notice of complaints and did all he could to annoy them whilst sticking to the letter of the law.
The final battle was when farmer rented out the field next to the houses for a four day pop festival! That sorted the complaints!
ohmyitschelle and chandra1313 like this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-14-2012, 05:34 AM
  #22
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles    
Can't say about all states, but in many the easement is public usage. You walk on, ride a bike on it, any of my pecans that fall on it can be picked up by anyone. Someone may not like that it's that way, but that is the law.
At least around here on the 2 lane roads, what folks typically call the road easement is not actually an easement at all, I.e. It's not part of the homeowners land even though they care for it. It is owned by the state and they do come by about every month with tractor mowers and cut it. If anyone really cares, you can look at the plat and/or find the boundary stakes. At our home closer to town, the property boundary is about 15 feet from the road asphalt.

In any case, folks do obviously care for this strip of state land when it is in front of their house, and I always try and be respectful of the effort they make. I typically ride on the asphalt, but will ride in the 'easement' if need be based on traffic, and I avoid this as much as possible when it's been very wet so as not to leave deep hoof prints. To be honest, however, considering the dangers of riding on/near the road, my safety and that of my horse are a much higher priority than worrying about the grass in the 'easement', and if I need to use all of that space to stay safe, I certainly won't hesitate to do so. BTW, this strip of land gets more torn up with tire ruts by the mail carriers driving half on/off the road delivering the mail than by any horses.

I have never had complaints from our neighbors except in the newer subdivision (with an HOA) that sprung up down the road. They complain if you just ride through the development on the road (which is public).
     
    04-14-2012, 06:04 AM
  #23
Weanling
Missmarie, I'm glad you didn't get hurt. My dad would have felt the same way about his yard too. He would have complained but he wouldn't have wanted a neighbor upset with him either. He would have vented to my mom and that would have been the end of it.

My next door neighbor has big ole cows and it had been raining for about week and they got out and they completely butchered my backyard, till this day it still looks different. We helped round them up and get them back to his place and that was the end of it, our neighbor didn't want his cows on our place, it was pretty simple just get on with it. Those cows got out regularly that summer but by the end of summer he fixed his fences and he is like 70, I'm not going to harrass a 70 something person. It's life.
     
    04-14-2012, 06:22 AM
  #24
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
At least around here on the 2 lane roads, what folks typically call the road easement is not actually an easement at all, I.e. It's not part of the homeowners land even though they care for it. It is owned by the state and they do come by about every month with tractor mowers and cut it. If anyone really cares, you can look at the plat and/or find the boundary stakes. At our home closer to town, the property boundary is about 15 feet from the road asphalt.

In any case, folks do obviously care for this strip of state land when it is in front of their house, and I always try and be respectful of the effort they make. I typically ride on the asphalt, but will ride in the 'easement' if need be based on traffic, and I avoid this as much as possible when it's been very wet so as not to leave deep hoof prints. To be honest, however, considering the dangers of riding on/near the road, my safety and that of my horse are a much higher priority than worrying about the grass in the 'easement', and if I need to use all of that space to stay safe, I certainly won't hesitate to do so. BTW, this strip of land gets more torn up with tire ruts by the mail carriers driving half on/off the road delivering the mail than by any horses.

I have never had complaints from our neighbors except in the newer subdivision (with an HOA) that sprung up down the road. They complain if you just ride through the development on the road (which is public).
17.5 feet off center at the farm. I only know because I had to find out last year when I started putting in fence posts along the hwy portion of the farm to get an extra 3 acres of grazing. And some pecans will fall on the other side of the fence, so I hope someone will stop and pick them up so they don't go to waste . I'll be happy if someone will ride by and let their horse eat the grass along the outside of the fence so I won't have to cut it, or lead one of mine out to graze on it, because the state only cuts maybe 10 feet off the side. That leaves me a narrow strip to keep down along the outside of the fence (maybe I should plant something there that doesn't need to be maintained).

We don't really care since some people think we're the local trouble makers anyway. (the rest think we're great )
E.g. About 20 years ago guy down the road had a blue berry patch that he planted and did a "pick and pay" with them. He had fits if someone ate a berry while they were picking. So my father took a section of the orchard and planted 10 times the number of blue berry bushes and let people come and pick for free . Nothing the other guy can do about it if we let people pick our berries free vs paying for his.
     
    04-14-2012, 06:28 AM
  #25
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles    
I'll be happy if someone will ride by and let their horse eat the grass along the outside of the fence so I won't have to cut it, or lead one of mine out to graze on it, because the state only cuts maybe 10 feet off the side. That leaves me a narrow strip to keep down along the outside of the fence (maybe I should plant something there that doesn't need to be maintained).
Agreed...same here and they give the road signs and mailboxes a very wide berth while mowing, too.
     
    04-14-2012, 10:43 AM
  #26
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles    
17.5 feet off center at the farm. I only know because I had to find out last year when I started putting in fence posts along the hwy portion of the farm to get an extra 3 acres of grazing. And some pecans will fall on the other side of the fence, so I hope someone will stop and pick them up so they don't go to waste . I'll be happy if someone will ride by and let their horse eat the grass along the outside of the fence so I won't have to cut it, or lead one of mine out to graze on it, because the state only cuts maybe 10 feet off the side. That leaves me a narrow strip to keep down along the outside of the fence (maybe I should plant something there that doesn't need to be maintained).
By my parents there is a couple mile stretch that is ~30ft wide between road and RR tracks. Their neighbor had a talk with the county and he now hays that stretch, county is grateful not to have to mow it as it saves time and money. He has hay for the critters that didn't cost to much, win win.
     
    04-14-2012, 11:10 AM
  #27
Yearling
Darrin, that is good the county is letting your dad use the land. What if hypothetically a group of horses or dirt bikes were to ride over that stretch? Honest question.
     
    04-14-2012, 11:52 AM
  #28
Banned
I guess I am the only person who thinks that it would be better manners to not ride on that piece of grass. I don't know the legalities of who owns that piece of land, but taking the OPs word for it - even if she doesn't own it, she maintains it, and she has to look at it every day.

Horses do tear up grass just by walking over it. At my barn, which is at my trainers house there is a piece of grass that is a short cut to my horses field. I walk on that but when I am leading my horse we go down the road and use the driveway instead.

If the 11yr old rider isn't safe to be on the road, she probably shouldn't be next to the road either. It would take next to nothing for her horse to have a reaction and end up in the road.
     
    04-14-2012, 12:10 PM
  #29
Cat
Green Broke
We have similar issues here. In fact a lot of our issues were created by the people who originally created the homes in this community. A builder bought the land, blocked it up in 3-10 acre parcels and built homes. No big deal except when they sold these homes they told people what they wanted to hear. Half the people here were told that this would be a community of families looking for the country feel or hobby farms while the other half were told it would be a retirement community and the houses would only be marketed to the elderly looking to stay out in the country but still have a community.

So of course we got a mixture of each and as luck would have it - the retirees aren't next to each other, but between the hobby farms. Each and every one of them is adjacent to one of the farms with horses.

They complain about the horses, the cows out back (not even part of the same area - they were here before the "community" was built 10 years ago!), horses stepping on the right-of-way (which btw - part is gravel even), and even the local wildlife. My favorite is still the one who called the dog catcher on a fox!
chandra1313 likes this.
     
    04-14-2012, 12:45 PM
  #30
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipsfirstspike    
Darrin, that is good the county is letting your dad use the land. What if hypothetically a group of horses or dirt bikes were to ride over that stretch? Honest question.
There wouldn't be anything but a bit of grumbling because it is county property. As it is the only people that step foot on the strip is druggies. Dealers drive down the road, slow down and toss a baggy out with drugs and within minutes another car shows up, stops, picks up the drugs and race off again. Since it is a long, straight stretch of road the cops are easy to spot so the drop just wont happen there. They are aware of the problem but have not been able to catch the culprits in action.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ignorant neighbors glitterhorse Horse Protection 15 07-13-2011 01:21 PM
The neighbors...and MY CAT poultrygirl General Off Topic Discussion 20 11-25-2010 02:12 AM
Good Neighbors RubaiyateBandit Jokes and Funnies 2 08-13-2009 11:15 AM
Intrusive neighbors... hotreddun General Off Topic Discussion 15 05-17-2009 11:40 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0