New Horse- I need some advice! Should I worry?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

New Horse- I need some advice! Should I worry?

This is a discussion on New Horse- I need some advice! Should I worry? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • The horse sound when he's worried
  • Horse learning bad habits from inexperienced riders

Like Tree37Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-12-2013, 05:57 PM
  #1
Nya
Foal
Exclamation New Horse- I need some advice! Should I worry?

Hi everyone :) we've been looking for a good horse for me to learn well (and possibly even quite safely!) and trail ride in the future, a sane one, well desentitized and used to different situations. After MANY horses, it looks like we found the one! He's a 9-10 yrs old quarter horse gelding (15.00 hands more or less), whose owner is selling him because she wants to have a baby, but she's having bad issues, so she can't ride anymore.

He stood quiet as he was being tacked up,accepted gently the bit, even if 3-4 dogs were barking as hell 2 meters apart from him, I saw the owner riding him, and the horse was perfect, trotted and cantered as soon as the owner asked it. I rode him too, and felt really good. Then we went on the road for a walk, (me on the horse and the owner by bike). He didn't even notice the cars going by, the motorbikes and other harsh sounds.
Up to this point, everything great!
There's only one thing I am not sure about, maybe it's stupid, but I'm not so experienced, I hope you can tell me straight away if I should worry or not!

From the very beginning, as we left the stables, his buddy mare, started calling him veeery loud, and he answered calling her back twice. Then we moved on the road, and he didn't turn towards home even if she was crying for him. But when we got really near the stables (10 metres) he tried to walk towards the stable, I stopped him, then he started walking again, and repeated this a few times.

The owner says she's had him for 7 years, and bought him exactly because she wanted a safe horse, after a really bad experience with her arab. She only did trails and some reining, some "just for fun" reining shows, and took even in the town for fairs.

Tomorrow we'll be going with the vet (a very experienced one!) and I hope everything is ok, I'm sooo tense. I like him very much..
Should I worry about what happened?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-12-2013, 06:26 PM
  #2
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya    
Hi everyone :) we've been looking for a good horse for me to learn well (and possibly even quite safely!) and trail ride in the future, a sane one, well desentitized and used to different situations. After MANY horses, it looks like we found the one! He's a 9-10 yrs old quarter horse gelding (15.00 hands more or less), whose owner is selling him because she wants to have a baby, but she's having bad issues, so she can't ride anymore.

He stood quiet as he was being tacked up,accepted gently the bit, even if 3-4 dogs were barking as hell 2 meters apart from him, I saw the owner riding him, and the horse was perfect, trotted and cantered as soon as the owner asked it. I rode him too, and felt really good. Then we went on the road for a walk, (me on the horse and the owner by bike). He didn't even notice the cars going by, the motorbikes and other harsh sounds.
Up to this point, everything great!
There's only one thing I am not sure about, maybe it's stupid, but I'm not so experienced, I hope you can tell me straight away if I should worry or not!

From the very beginning, as we left the stables, his buddy mare, started calling him veeery loud, and he answered calling her back twice. Then we moved on the road, and he didn't turn towards home even if she was crying for him. But when we got really near the stables (10 metres) he tried to walk towards the stable, I stopped him, then he started walking again, and repeated this a few times.

The owner says she's had him for 7 years, and bought him exactly because she wanted a safe horse, after a really bad experience with her arab. She only did trails and some reining, some "just for fun" reining shows, and took even in the town for fairs.

Tomorrow we'll be going with the vet (a very experienced one!) and I hope everything is ok, I'm sooo tense. I like him very much..
Should I worry about what happened?
Wow, sounds like a really good one!
Loved the fact that she rode with you on a bike, says she's honest and trusts him.

I wouldn't worry about him so much as I would about your riding. He sounds great, but even the best horses can develop bad habits with inexperienced riders. Make sure you have a trainer teach you how to properly correct that behavior. The fact that he rode out without the mare says he's very well trained! When you have some more experience with him you will be able to tell when is going to not listen to you. You'll be able to keep him from taking those steps probably before he does it. Ex asking for his head, flexing, backing and from the sound of him just a stern woah.

Good luck!! Can't wait for pictures!!! He sounds awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-12-2013, 06:27 PM
  #3
Showing
I'd suggest you ride him a few more times before calling the vet. One ride doesn't tell you anything. He may very well turn into a different horse when you take him home. Be sure to give him several weeks to settle in. Spend time with him, take him for walks on the lead. It will be all very new to him and he'll be upset about losing his stablemate. Trying to ride him within a day or two is a good way to get hurt. I suspect you don't have a lot of experience.
Palomine and horselessmom like this.
     
    04-12-2013, 06:52 PM
  #4
Showing
Sounds like he's herd bound, which isn't uncommon at all. Nothing to worry about, but it'll take some time and working with him to get him comfortable away from his normal "herd."

Where do you have him now? At home alone? With another horse? At a boarding stable?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-12-2013, 06:55 PM
  #5
Nya
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGap    
Wow, sounds like a really good one!
Loved the fact that she rode with you on a bike, says she's honest and trusts him.

I wouldn't worry about him so much as I would about your riding. He sounds great, but even the best horses can develop bad habits with inexperienced riders. Make sure you have a trainer teach you how to properly correct that behavior. The fact that he rode out without the mare says he's very well trained! When you have some more experience with him you will be able to tell when is going to not listen to you. You'll be able to keep him from taking those steps probably before he does it. Ex asking for his head, flexing, backing and from the sound of him just a stern woah.

Good luck!! Can't wait for pictures!!! He sounds awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you!!
He was "kind" all of the time. The owner kneeled between his legs, threw the pad on his back and butt, and he didn't care. They say they tried some team penning, but just didn't work for him, since he wasn't so "ready to go"! Tomorrow I'll have a walk outside with him and at least 2 hours lesson with a trainer, and I hope to understand something more! I like him so much, but I'm trying to keep my "love" out of the door and make a wise decision. Plus, I'll be so careful not to make him get vices...
     
    04-12-2013, 06:57 PM
  #6
Trained
Im kind of confused...what exactly is the problem? Because he took a step toward the barn when you didnt ask for it?

If that's the only problem, take him home! He sounds wonderful to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-12-2013, 06:59 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Welcome to the forum, Nya! From everything you describe, it sounds as if he's a great horse!! I think it's understandable that he would attempt to go back with the mare calling out - other than that, it sounds like he's a good, respectable horse, and maybe after a few more rides/groundwork, etc., I would certainly consider him! Best of luck :)
CowboyBob likes this.
     
    04-12-2013, 06:59 PM
  #8
Nya
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum    
Sounds like he's herd bound, which isn't uncommon at all. Nothing to worry about, but it'll take some time and working with him to get him comfortable away from his normal "herd."

Where do you have him now? At home alone? With another horse? At a boarding stable?
Posted via Mobile Device
He's not mine yet, I just went to see and ride him. He lives at his owners' house with an old mare. I'd take him 80 km away, at the boarding stable where I take lessons! How much time should I wait before riding him, IF (who knows!) we get him? I thought to wait at least a week, and to spend a lot of time with him, walking him around to see the new stuff, meet the new horses, and eating well. Am I missing something?
     
    04-12-2013, 07:04 PM
  #9
Nya
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
I'd suggest you ride him a few more times before calling the vet. One ride doesn't tell you anything. He may very well turn into a different horse when you take him home. Be sure to give him several weeks to settle in. Spend time with him, take him for walks on the lead. It will be all very new to him and he'll be upset about losing his stablemate. Trying to ride him within a day or two is a good way to get hurt. I suspect you don't have a lot of experience.
Tomorrow I'll go with him on a trail ride, up to a trainer's place where I'll spend the rest of the time, to see if he can be the horse for me! I'm really nervous about him "changing" when at his new home... he seems what we are looking for, at the moment. I don't know how much a horse can change in a new home. I hope time will tell.. our vet friend is a very experienced rider, I hope he will be of some help! Such a hard decision! Thank you!
     
    04-12-2013, 07:07 PM
  #10
Nya
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernstar    
Welcome to the forum, Nya! From everything you describe, it sounds as if he's a great horse!! I think it's understandable that he would attempt to go back with the mare calling out - other than that, it sounds like he's a good, respectable horse, and maybe after a few more rides/groundwork, etc., I would certainly consider him! Best of luck :)
Thank you!! I'll spend the afternoon with him tomorrow, I hope he turns out the best! I'm so tense :) if we get him, when we get him, I'll let you know straight away in the pictures section!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I worry about this? Get up and go Horse Health 3 09-30-2012 11:51 PM
Do I worry too much? BarrelWannabe Horse Talk 6 10-26-2011 09:46 AM
Am I being a worry wart? cold rain....I want my horse inside.. Kymbadina Horse Health 36 10-04-2011 12:07 AM
My biggest worry when getting a new horse! Help please! wannahorse22 Horse Nutrition 9 09-20-2010 03:04 PM
When Do I Worry When My Horse Lays Down? Rosebud64 Horse Health 9 04-25-2010 10:47 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0