New weight restrictions on college riding team... opinions? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

New weight restrictions on college riding team... opinions?

This is a discussion on New weight restrictions on college riding team... opinions? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-10-2010, 01:23 PM
      #21
    Trained
    I'm not saying I disagree with the policy but they will get sued sooner rather than later. Name one other sport that has a wieght limit before you can join the team. There is always someone out there looking to make a buck off someone.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-10-2010, 01:29 PM
      #22
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
    Name one other sport that has a wieght limit before you can join the team. There is always someone out there looking to make a buck off someone.
    They can join the team Kevin, just not ride until they've met the weight requirements.

    Oh, and I can name two sports that have weight restrictions: boxing and wrestling.
         
        02-10-2010, 01:31 PM
      #23
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
    Oh, and I can name two sports that have weight restrictions: boxing and wrestling.

    Those are wieght classes not wieght restrictions.
         
        02-10-2010, 01:33 PM
      #24
    Banned
    If they don't meet their weight class they can't compete, correct? So in essence, it is a weight restriction.

    I know that some of them change weight classes, but there is a ceiling. If they go past that weight, they can't compete.

    Doesn't mean they're off the team, just that they can't participate until they make their weight class requirement.

    How is that different than a college riding team?
         
        02-10-2010, 01:36 PM
      #25
    mls
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
    It's discrimination based on a persons physical build. I am 6'8 and have never been under 200 lbs since I was in the eigth grade. I have been in excellent shape and never damaged a horse with my wieght as I ride balanced but under this policy not only me but many men are excluded from being on the equestrian team due to size. It doesn't bother me and I would never sue but you can bet someone will.
    The team I help with is all female. As are the teams they travel to compete aganist.

    Now the rodeo teams are mixed genders.
         
        02-10-2010, 01:55 PM
      #26
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
    If they don't meet their weight class they can't compete, correct? So in essence, it is a weight restriction.
    No, because they can always move to the next weight class.

    Here there're setting an arbitrary 200 lb limit for everyone - even if you brought in your own draft horse. It'd seem more sensible to approach it from the other direction, and have weight limits for each individual horse, depending on their build, age, condition, and so on.
         
        02-10-2010, 01:57 PM
      #27
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamesqf    

    Even if you brought in your own draft horse. .
    That does not work with college teams though because they travel and use the horses that the host team provides. So bringing your own draft will only help you when riding at home.


    I see nothing wrong with the rule. All the teams I know of are all women anyway. They use the riding team to give them female athlete numbers.


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamesqf    
    No, because they can always move to the next weight class.
    From what I understand (from my co-workers who seem to have kids who are way into the wrestling thing) just moving up a class is not that easy. There are not endless opportunities in each weight class. If the spot in the class above is taken then you have to fit into your class.
         
        02-10-2010, 02:04 PM
      #28
    Foal
    Thats very discrimanating for the bigger riders it has to be a breech of rule!
    "A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence." - Pam Brown


    Read more: http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/i-think-im-too-tall-my-47106/page2/#post548422#ixzz0f9n7ZQs5
         
        02-10-2010, 02:11 PM
      #29
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind    
    That does not work with college teams though because they travel and use the horses that the host team provides. So bringing your own draft will only help you when riding at home.
    Exactly, Always.

    Usually the team barn hosting the show provides the horses, so unless a team member wants to ride only at their home barn, bringing their own horse isn't a solution.

    I'm surprised more people aren't aware of this.

    No Maire, it's not a breach of rules nor discrimination; it's to help keep the team horses sound and rideable. They're being ridden multiple times a day by different riders. There has to be some sort of requirements to keep them healthy.
         
        02-10-2010, 02:20 PM
      #30
    Started
    I rode in college and we all had to work with a trainer 2 times a week. All of us went and did a strenuous workout. If you weren't able to do the workout then we had to meet with our trainer and the workout trainer... I never had to do this but there were people who did.

    I think that it is ok for them to put a standard in place to protect the horses- I am not saying weight is the right way to do it but someone had to make the decision.

    I will be interested to hear how this plays out so keep us posted!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    High School Riding Team anrz English Riding 6 04-14-2009 10:14 PM
    Riding through college? huntseat7 Horse Talk 3 01-31-2009 04:44 PM
    College Equestrian Team -- Join or not? mysnafflebit Horse Talk 4 11-23-2008 12:40 AM
    Uhg, college riding programs :( travlingypsy Horse Talk 0 10-16-2008 08:36 PM
    Good name for a stables riding team SonnyWimps Horse Talk 0 03-30-2008 10:21 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0