Rant....."horse owning" - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the US
Posts: 295
• Horses: 0
Rant....."horse owning"

Ok, so I have some friends who....long story short....

1) Have never taken lessons.
2) No one in their family has any knowledge of horses
3) Are telling me that when their family moves to more land...there getting horses.

Me:

Ok, NO WAY am I letting any of this happen.

Then I have another friend who does take lessons and has for most of her life (i think). And, she says she's getting 2 horses now (their barn is almost done in the building process). But, guess where she tells me she's looking for horses.........Petfinder.com

We all know that Petfinder only has horses that are rescues and stuff. And, should not be a first horse to anyone who doesn't have much experience with the "training" side of owning horses, or horses that have been abused and not cared for properly.

I'm just worried....for both my friends sake, and the horse(s) sake.


rodeogirl309 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,192
• Horses: 7
...my first horse was a rescue... I got him for $500... But I agree with you, rescues come with alot of luggage. It would be ok if she had a support group of knowledgable people physically there to help her though...

Have you tried to NICELY direct her elsewhere to look? Do you think her issue is a money issue and she's looking for "cheap"? Because I think you can find some pretty safe and healthy affordable horses out there if you look in the right places... maybe you should gently push her in the right direction?

The other friend... yeah... too many times I've seen people buy horse first, learn about horses next.............

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 318
• Horses: 1
I just had lunch with a friend, and we both had a good venting sessions about a couple of non-mutual friends. We felt better after sharing, I can tell you! Come to a place like this for that, let off steam, we hear you! But at the end of the day, your friends will do what they will do, no matter what you say. Give some advice with a smile, then turn your attention to your own horse and have fun. You can't live their lives, they've gotta make their own mistakes. But come here and vent whenever you want, we'll listen!
Arrow is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 6,004
• Horses: 0
Amen, Arrow...Amen!!!

Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged by the size of the task, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.

1 Chronicles 28:20








Dumas'_Grrrl is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,613
• Horses: 0
Re: Rant....."horse owning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeogirl309
Ok, so I have some friends who....long story short....

1) Have never taken lessons.
2) No one in their family has any knowledge of horses
I blame this phenomenon partially on celebrities. It seems that once people reach a certain level of wealth they get horses whether they particularly like them or not. Of course the celebrities can afford to hire someone to take care of their horses... problem is most other people can't.
ponyboy is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the US
Posts: 295
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84
...my first horse was a rescue... I got him for $500... But I agree with you, rescues come with alot of luggage. It would be ok if she had a support group of knowledgable people physically there to help her though...

Have you tried to NICELY direct her elsewhere to look? Do you think her issue is a money issue and she's looking for "cheap"? Because I think you can find some pretty safe and healthy affordable horses out there if you look in the right places... maybe you should gently push her in the right direction?

The other friend... yeah... too many times I've seen people buy horse first, learn about horses next.............

Haha, all I say to them is "Oh, yea? That's cool" then just nod my head, keeping my mouth shut.

I really doubt the money is an issue. Where she lives....I don't exactly think so. Ha. Yea, I have explained to her where most of the horses on Petfinder come from, but I don't think it really connected. We talk a lot so I'm sure I'll will be in the know when it gets down to really searching for something that will work for her.


rodeogirl309 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,192
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeogirl309
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84
...my first horse was a rescue... I got him for $500... But I agree with you, rescues come with alot of luggage. It would be ok if she had a support group of knowledgable people physically there to help her though...

Have you tried to NICELY direct her elsewhere to look? Do you think her issue is a money issue and she's looking for "cheap"? Because I think you can find some pretty safe and healthy affordable horses out there if you look in the right places... maybe you should gently push her in the right direction?

The other friend... yeah... too many times I've seen people buy horse first, learn about horses next.............
That's because in the movies... Black Stallion, Black Beauty, Flicka... the horses are all abused and neglected and they fall in love with their child and they become a one person horse and they have this great bond and blah blah blah...


Haha, all I say to them is "Oh, yea? That's cool" then just nod my head, keeping my mouth shut.

I really doubt the money is an issue. Where she lives....I don't exactly think so. Ha. Yea, I have explained to her where most of the horses on Petfinder come from, but I don't think it really connected. We talk a lot so I'm sure I'll will be in the know when it gets down to really searching for something that will work for her.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
In a few months there will be a post from one of them saying that they have this wonderful horse that is so pretty and loves me so much. She loves to eat carrots from my hand but it tried to kill me. What should I do?

To be downright cynical, if not cruel, Ron White, the comedian wrote a book entitled: You Can't Fix Stupid.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,620
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses
In a few months there will be a post from one of them saying that they have this wonderful horse that is so pretty and loves me so much. She loves to eat carrots from my hand but it tried to kill me. What should I do?

To be downright cynical, if not cruel, Ron White, the comedian wrote a book entitled: You Can't Fix Stupid.
Hahahahaha That is so unfortunatly true.
One of the hardest things to take and the easiest to give is advise


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
I don't think anything wrong with getting the rescued horse even as your first horse. I know NUMBER of people around who did that and VERY happy with the horse. I do have 2 rescues myself and would give credit to anyone who get a horse in bad situation. In fact some of the rescued horses are just lovely, athletic, and can do great in shows.

However I strongly recommend to get horse not from petfinder, but from a good(!) local rescue. In this case also if something goes wrong those rescues often take horse back. Also the good rescue does all evaluations (including riding, safety and all), so you pretty much know what you are getting.
kitten_Val is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome