SaddleSeat Help..? Advice..
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

SaddleSeat Help..? Advice..

This is a discussion on SaddleSeat Help..? Advice.. within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Why do saddleseat horses walk canter
  • My kentucky mountain horse won't stay in his gaits

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gaited07

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-06-2013, 09:23 AM
  #1
Foal
Smile SaddleSeat Help..? Advice..

I recently got a gaited horse 5 months ago and I joined 4-H ready to compete. I have the rule book for saddleseat and all, I know what to wear etc. But...

How do I get my kentucky mountain horse to do the slow canter like gait?
He won't stay in his gait (Rack).. How do I keep him in it?
Is there a diet I should put him on?
What gaits do they usually ask for at shows?
Is there a specific saddle I need? ( I already have cutback)
And any other advice would help.. Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-06-2013, 09:46 AM
  #2
Showing
Were you planning on showing 3 gaited or 5 gaited?
     
    03-06-2013, 11:33 AM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
Were you planning on showing 3 gaited or 5 gaited?

She can't show 5-gaited. That is a Saddlebred class that is walk, trot, canter, slow gait and rack.
     
    03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxosalem    
I recently got a gaited horse 5 months ago and I joined 4-H ready to compete. I have the rule book for saddleseat and all, I know what to wear etc. But...

How do I get my kentucky mountain horse to do the slow canter like gait?
Quote:
practice by doing half halts, circles or if needed shut him down, back 3 to 5 steps and start again until you have achieved desired speed. Reward once you have desired gait.




He won't stay in his gait (Rack).. How do I keep him in it?
Quote:
again lots of practice. He needs to learn how to use his hind end to drive into the bit. Circles, serpentines to help build those muscles.
Is there a diet I should put him on?
Quote:
I would suggest a biotin or omega horseshine for skin, coat and hooves.
What gaits do they usually ask for at shows?
Quote:
depends on class but if showing in Saddleseat you will be required to show horse in his breed of gaits. You can not enter into a 5-gaited class unless you horse does a walk, trot, canter, slow gait, and rack.
Is there a specific saddle I need? ( I already have cutback)
And any other advice would help.. Thanks!

I hope this helps. There is braids you can add. Make sure all equipment and your attire are clean and very formal.
You can use a baby oil around eyes and muzzle for extra shine (little, very little)
xoxosalem likes this.
     
    03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
  #5
Foal
I was going to do 3 gaited..
     
    03-06-2013, 03:55 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Depending on if his horse was trained by professional or not, it would be best to see if you can get some help from a trainer that deals with this breed.

The cues for Saddlebreds, are very different for MFT's, or KMH I would imagine.

I have linked to your breed association, and you should contact them for articles and trainers that might be able to give you information on all of this.


KMSHA Official Website
     
    03-06-2013, 04:49 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Also should see what 4H is going to have you do in the classes.
     
    03-06-2013, 06:16 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomine    
Depending on if his horse was trained by professional or not, it would be best to see if you can get some help from a trainer that deals with this breed.

The cues for Saddlebreds, are very different for MFT's, or KMH I would imagine.

I have linked to your breed association, and you should contact them for articles and trainers that might be able to give you information on all of this.


KMSHA Official Website

I contacted my trainer and she's coming down Sunday to help.. Thanks
     

Tags
gaited, kentucky mountain horse, racking, saddleseat, show

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Saddleseat czarinaruss English Riding 3 11-29-2012 02:23 AM
Saddleseat? leonalee Tack and Equipment Classifieds 2 12-28-2010 08:34 PM
Saddleseat? VanillaBean Horse Riding 8 04-15-2010 06:55 PM
Saddleseat?? LoveTheSaddlebreds English Riding 38 10-06-2009 07:10 AM
Saddleseat help SpiritJordanRivers English Riding 1 06-22-2009 10:56 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0