Should I switch trainers?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Should I switch trainers?

This is a discussion on Should I switch trainers? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Should i switch trainers
  • Should i switch horseback trainers

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-28-2012, 02:57 AM
  #1
Foal
Should I switch trainers?

Hi all, I'm fairly new here so please excuse me if this wasn't the best place to post this. My predicament here is I'm not sure if I should switch trainers. I've been with my current trainer for about six months, taking weekly lessons. So far we've only done walk, trot and trot courses. I'm a confident rider, an assertive rider and I'm extremely comfortable at both walk and trot. I feel as though she isn't advancing me. To put it in perspective, we didn't get to trot for about three weeks and since then we've only been trotting. It took over a month to just get off the lunge line. She routinely tells me how great I look but we NEVER do anything new. So, my question to you is do you think I should switch trainers? Thank you all so much!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-28-2012, 03:05 AM
  #2
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccat243    
Hi all, I'm fairly new here so please excuse me if this wasn't the best place to post this. My predicament here is I'm not sure if I should switch trainers. I've been with my current trainer for about six months, taking weekly lessons. So far we've only done walk, trot and trot courses. I'm a confident rider, an assertive rider and I'm extremely comfortable at both walk and trot. I feel as though she isn't advancing me. To put it in perspective, we didn't get to trot for about three weeks and since then we've only been trotting. It took over a month to just get off the lunge line. She routinely tells me how great I look but we NEVER do anything new. So, my question to you is do you think I should switch trainers? Thank you all so much!
Have you only been riding for six months?
SorrelHorse likes this.
     
    01-28-2012, 03:14 AM
  #3
Trained
^^ This.

Please give us some background on your prior (If any) riding experience.
     
    01-28-2012, 03:37 AM
  #4
Yearling
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccat243    
Hi all, I'm fairly new here so please excuse me if this wasn't the best place to post this. My predicament here is I'm not sure if I should switch trainers. I've been with my current trainer for about six months, taking weekly lessons. So far we've only done walk, trot and trot courses. I'm a confident rider, an assertive rider and I'm extremely comfortable at both walk and trot. I feel as though she isn't advancing me. To put it in perspective, we didn't get to trot for about three weeks and since then we've only been trotting. It took over a month to just get off the lunge line. She routinely tells me how great I look but we NEVER do anything new. So, my question to you is do you think I should switch trainers? Thank you all so much!
Ohmygoodness! I know exactly how you feel! When I first started riding, my trainer did the same exact thing to me! I was 12, so I definently progressed alot faster than most of the students she usually teaches. Anyways, she kept me on a lunge line for straight WEEKS. I had perfect control of myself and the horse, but she still wouldn't even let me trot over poles, canter, or ANYTHING. I switched trainers because I actually wanted to GO SOMEWHERE WITH MY RIDING. &I did Aha, obviously, it still irks me to think about it. In the end, I guess both of these trainers just want us to be safe, &be sure that we're ready. Have you voiced your opinions to her? Are you REALLY ready to move forward? If you say something about this to her, and she stilll doesn't let you progress, then I say definently YES switch trainers. Goodluck!
     
    01-28-2012, 04:01 AM
  #5
Banned
I disagree with you xXSerendipityXx. There is a reason people go to trainers, if they could train themselves and know when they were ready to do new things there would be no need in having trainers.

There is a reason why she has not progressed with her riding, but I am going to wait on the answer to me original question before I comment any further.
CCBella likes this.
     
    01-28-2012, 04:05 AM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrams1123    
Have you only been riding for six months?
No, I rode western for about eight years prior to this, took about four years off and I have since been riding for about six months.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-28-2012, 04:09 AM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccat243    
No, I rode western for about eight years prior to this, took about four years off and I have since been riding for about six months.
Posted via Mobile Device
you are currently riding western or english?
     
    01-28-2012, 04:18 AM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrams1123    
you are currently riding western or english?
English, I've been taking English lessons for six months now.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-28-2012, 04:23 AM
  #9
Yearling
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrams1123    
I disagree with you xXSerendipityXx. There is a reason people go to trainers, if they could train themselves and know when they were ready to do new things there would be no need in having trainers.

There is a reason why she has not progressed with her riding, but I am going to wait on the answer to me original question before I comment any further.
I know that. I was just trying to say that if she's not getting what she wants from the trainer she's with, then going to ANOTHER TRAINER would be better for her. Some trainers ARE better than others - I didn't say anything about training herself.. (not trying to offend you or anything)
     
    01-28-2012, 04:24 AM
  #10
Yearling
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccat243    
English, I've been taking English lessons for six months now.
Posted via Mobile Device
How old are you??
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Really Want to Switch...Just Not Sure How ilyTango Horse Talk 10 09-18-2010 08:20 PM
Which Bit Should I Switch To? LMW English Riding 14 09-09-2010 12:56 AM
Should I switch? stacieandtheboys Horse Tack and Equipment 5 06-26-2009 06:40 PM
switch? chika1235 English Riding 10 01-10-2009 05:42 PM
I have to switch mysnafflebit Western Riding 8 11-22-2008 02:13 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0