To spur or not to spur!! - Page 7
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

To spur or not to spur!!

This is a discussion on To spur or not to spur!! within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Inexperienced Equine spur use

Like Tree82Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-06-2012, 10:51 PM
  #61
Foal
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tierneylove09    
All he did when I used them for the first time was move forward very quickly. I wouldn't say he took off, but it was fast

I believe most toddlers walk faster than he does at this point in time, so anything has got to be better. I am just stuck and frustrated!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-06-2012, 10:52 PM
  #62
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppluuv    
OK I am new to the forum, (somewhat new to riding) so go easy on me. I have a 15.4 QH that is as stubburn as a mule. I am a larger person, but he is a large very well fed horse so that should not be the problem. I have done all sorts of ground work, spinning, serpintines, Etc. Jordan is just extremely slow and will not pick up the pace with anything I do. He will decide to take off at a run for no reason, so I know he can do it. Because he is semi unpredictable I do not want anything else in my hands, I.e. Whip. I see a lot of you believe in the spurs, have you had any problems with using them on horses that have never had them used on them? Bucking, rearing, that kind of thing? I know its more of a grazing touch and not a stabbing. Just wanting to know what to expect.?
Welcome to the forum!! As for your question, it depends on a few things. In my opinion, since you say you are fairly new to riding I would wait on using spurs. Before using either, I would find a local trainer and maybe take a lesson or 2, with someone who can see how you 2 are interacting and give you a few pointers & excercises.

Even though holding a whip in your hands may seem like more of a problem right now, I think it would be a good idea for you to try. If you hold on to the whip/crop correctly it shouldn't hinder use of your hands at all (When I first started, I thought the same as you about them getting in the way). Another reason I would try it in your situation to use a whip instead of spurs first is if your horse were to act up suddenly, you are probably more likely to try to hang on with your legs and feet. And if you're inexperienced you may inadvertently spur him. Whereas, if you are using a whip and need to rely on your hands as well as your legs to hang on, you can either drop the whip as you grab to hang on or most likely the whip will end up pointed away if you hang on. Basically, you can always let go of the whip if you need to, but spurs are on until you take them off.
rob likes this.
     
    03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
  #63
Weanling
I've never used spurs on my mare, though I'm not against anyone using them responsibly.
     
    03-06-2012, 11:06 PM
  #64
Foal
TY for your inputs. I am just trying to figure out what to do next. Walking is only one of his problems, but I believe it is his biggest. I may just have to take a few classes to try to work this out.
     
    03-06-2012, 11:13 PM
  #65
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppluuv    
TY for your inputs. I am just trying to figure out what to do next. Walking is only one of his problems, but I believe it is his biggest. I may just have to take a few classes to try to work this out.
That sounds like a very smart plan Good luck!
     
    03-07-2012, 04:35 AM
  #66
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppluuv    
OK I am new to the forum, (somewhat new to riding) so go easy on me. I have a 15.4 QH that is as stubburn as a mule.

Just so you know, a 15.4 HH horse is actually 16 HH
IquitosARG10 and mildot like this.
     
    03-07-2012, 02:48 PM
  #67
Yearling
If you are going to use extra training aids, in my opinion crops are for forward movement or helping to aid lateral movement from the hindquarters (where I can't reach) While spurs are for turning and lateral movement.

I ride 80% without spurs so Jake is responsive without needing the spur, but every once in a while I'll put them on to sharpen him up. Then I'll take them back off. At least that is for english, my western boots just always have spurs on them. Though it doesn't mean I use the spurs when I ride. Typically I don't have to touch the spur to the horses I'm riding. If I need it its there though.
     
    03-07-2012, 03:11 PM
  #68
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl    
its hard for me to believe you were actually smacking your horse with it ! Tapping maybe.
In some shows you cannot hit your horse in front of your leg. Even an accidential tap would result in a DQ.
rob likes this.
     
    03-07-2012, 06:13 PM
  #69
Weanling
I haven't had to use spurs or a crop on my QH at all, my gelding I know that if you do, he would ensure your eating the dirt as somewhere along the way, someone did something to him that he HATES whips or crops of any kind. If he is a little slow a bump with my heels on his side or a squeeze with my leg and a "get up" usually lets him know to pick up the pace.

As what everyone else has said, they are, when used properly, a good tool for some horses.
     
    03-07-2012, 07:17 PM
  #70
Yearling
I use spurs on my moms horse but only at shows or if he wont do what I ask and my horse when I ride him in shows. I don't use a crop because im a barrel racer and im better with spurs. But when I ride my friends moms gelding I will use a derssage whip time to time. And I have a horse that will buck you off if oyu get on with spurs he's bette without
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To spur or not? Lynnie English Riding 22 02-15-2012 12:17 PM
Spur or no spur? luxurylife88 English Riding 26 07-28-2011 12:20 AM
Bone Spur heidir Horse Health 0 12-27-2010 11:55 PM
Spur Stop/ Spur breaking Tessa Bear Horse Training 62 02-26-2008 08:31 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0