Super rough trot..
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Super rough trot..

This is a discussion on Super rough trot.. within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Horse with a rough trot
  • Super rough trot

Like Tree17Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-23-2013, 10:27 AM
  #1
Weanling
Super rough trot..

My paint horse stallion has a really, really rough trot. I've been riding horses for about 14 years now, (I'm 18). I've never ridden a horse with this bad of a trot. I seriously can't sit it. I've tried everyday for a week, atleast 4 hours a day. I've slowed his trot & kept his head down, a little better then but still rough. I'm not sure if using a tie down to keep his head a little lower would help or what. He goes from that horrible trot to a nice, nice canter! He's Western, used for roping, reining, herding, barrel racing, western pleasure, trails, mounted shooting, etc. I love him to death but I DESPISE his trot, he makes me feel like a horrible rider. Any help on how to maybe sit it out, or anything, would be appreciated. (:
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-23-2013, 01:10 PM
  #2
Green Broke
I feel your pain.

My husband had a horse with an awful trot and a not so hot lope, either. The horse came to be named "Bomber" because those two gaits were so rough. His walk was a fantastic, ground covering, swinging stride. Worse, we were on a 30,000 acre grazing association, so days could end up long.

Anyway, I did take time to work on muscling certain areas of his hind legs. The horse and I did utilize circling and transitions in speed to help him gather himself (show ring collection is not quite desirable in a working ranch setting). And, I worked on my own trunk strength. I also assessed him for alignment, which was fine. Even some neuro soft signs, which were also fine.

A lot of his way of going was due to his conformation. Slightly butt-high. Thick legs, and his pastern/shoulder angles were a bit straight, but not crippling. Large shoulders. Prominent withers.

Still, Bomber was my go to horse when I thought we might have to doctor large stock. That horse was a great partner. I wonder what he would have said about my riding? Probably critique my conformation! Lol
     
    06-23-2013, 04:49 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots    
I feel your pain.

My husband had a horse with an awful trot and a not so hot lope, either. The horse came to be named "Bomber" because those two gaits were so rough. His walk was a fantastic, ground covering, swinging stride. Worse, we were on a 30,000 acre grazing association, so days could end up long.

Anyway, I did take time to work on muscling certain areas of his hind legs. The horse and I did utilize circling and transitions in speed to help him gather himself (show ring collection is not quite desirable in a working ranch setting). And, I worked on my own trunk strength. I also assessed him for alignment, which was fine. Even some neuro soft signs, which were also fine.

A lot of his way of going was due to his conformation. Slightly butt-high. Thick legs, and his pastern/shoulder angles were a bit straight, but not crippling. Large shoulders. Prominent withers.

Still, Bomber was my go to horse when I thought we might have to doctor large stock. That horse was a great partner. I wonder what he would have said about my riding? Probably critique my conformation! Lol
He's a great horse & I trust him to do basically anything, I just feel like I look sort of, idiotic, on his trot, because I can't sit it. I've tried trotting him for three or four hours at a time to try & sit it out. I sit up straight, keep my heels down, I've tried to squeeze more with my upper thighs, didn't help.. tried leaning back deeper in the seat, didn't help. He has high withers, for a Paint horse I think. He's completely sound in everyway though.
     
    06-23-2013, 04:52 PM
  #4
Trained
Try bending him to the inside when you're riding in a round pen or ring. The idea is to bring his head a little to the inside and bend him around your leg, so you're riding more ) than l, but still going down the straight side of the arena. I had a mare who was so rough I never could sit her trot, but bending her did help some.
     
    06-23-2013, 05:56 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
Try bending him to the inside when you're riding in a round pen or ring. The idea is to bring his head a little to the inside and bend him around your leg, so you're riding more ) than l, but still going down the straight side of the arena. I had a mare who was so rough I never could sit her trot, but bending her did help some.
Okay, thank you! I'll try that this afternoon.
     
    06-23-2013, 06:08 PM
  #6
Trained
Learn to post!!!

No I don't think a tie down would help, that will not add in anyway to the softness that might improve things for you. Bending, yielding, circle work, that is all I can think of.

Some horses just have a horrible trot, or canter, and you have to either learn to love it, or sell them on.
boots likes this.
     
    06-23-2013, 06:13 PM
  #7
Yearling
Aha, posting is your friend! I also find that sitting in your half seat position helps quite a bit too!
     
    06-23-2013, 06:22 PM
  #8
Foal
I love this book I have a friesian who I couldnt sit well to and it has a section on sitting to the trot/ canter etc.. I feel so much better trotting now and so does my horse. I don't know if this is the issue though... hope to have helped :)

Buy the Centered Riding Book, by Sally Swift, new approach to horseback riding, at Mary's Tack
     
    06-23-2013, 06:41 PM
  #9
Green Broke
I posted often on Bomber. I post a lot during a typical day.
     
    06-23-2013, 07:27 PM
  #10
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintgirl96    
He's a great horse & I trust him to do basically anything, I just feel like I look sort of, idiotic, on his trot, because I can't sit it. I've tried trotting him for three or four hours at a time to try & sit it out. I sit up straight, keep my heels down, I've tried to squeeze more with my upper thighs, didn't help.. tried leaning back deeper in the seat, didn't help. He has high withers, for a Paint horse I think. He's completely sound in everyway though.
To me this sounds like you are more stiff like a board than loose and allowing your hips to move with the horse's hips.

I'm going to link you a video

     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow down a super fast trot and canter?! KristinLynnCiscos19 Horse Training 12 05-16-2013 09:29 PM
Downward Transition from Lope to Trot is VERY rough! HighonEquine Horse Training 8 09-21-2012 10:33 AM
Question: Help with rough trot! jebrab Horse Training 11 09-03-2012 10:11 PM
Super Quiet / Super Athletic 4yo Warmblood X FOR SALE Hsmith Horses for Sale 5 08-16-2011 07:49 PM
Is it correct to sit trot over trot poles? pcmum Horse Riding Critique 5 04-23-2009 09:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0