Too Excited :( help!! - Page 8
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Too Excited :( help!!

This is a discussion on Too Excited :( help!! within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree93Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-19-2013, 02:26 PM
      #71
    Banned
    Yes, I rode with rhosroyalvelvet but I owned Trigger before that so it's not a new home. He doesn't have horses as companions but there's calves in the next field. I live in Ireland. I have a saddle and bridle for him. I'm done having lessons now!...Or at least until net summer or something!(I can't remember what mammy said)! Do you think I might need some other thing to control him?(other type of tack e.g. Martingale or whatever!)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-19-2013, 02:33 PM
      #72
    Weanling
    What happened was that Trigger was bought as a 2 year old roughly but Trigger123 was under the impression that he was older. She rode him out on hacks occasionaly while coming to mine for lessons on our ponies for around 2 years (I think).

    The pony she rode (may she rest in peace) was an old girl but a clever one too :) If she felt you were novicy she would take things slow but as you improve she would start throwing tricks in to test you. She also rode other ponies like one of our welshies who you can not steer with your hands so she could work on using effective aids with out your hands.

    Summer 2013 she brought Trigger to our house so we could work on them as a pair. Trigger was pretty much a unschooled pig. Throwing shoulder stopping not responding to your leg the whole works. We know how important the early stages of schooling as here they can learn bad habits so we made sure that he did not get away with anything even if it envolved some shouting.

    So around september october 2013 he was schooling and hacking well on his own and in company and was poping some small jumps. He had gone out on that big hack and everything was going well so we said they could take him home if she felt confident enough.

    Now the rest I am not so sure on but I think that she did not ride him for a while and can't ride him every day because of there not being enough light. So he is feeling well in himself after being worked every day for the last 3-4 months. Also the lack of company would also throw him. Now this is a very new situation for Trigger123 as trigger is the laziest thing you have ever laid eyes on and just needs some guidence. I agree a video would be very very helpful if possible to see what you and him are doing.

    Now just one final thing I hope I did not come across as cross when saying she can not herself have any more lessons ( not because we don't want her to if she wanted ) but I was just trying to clarify things for you all. I hope this backround post was helpful.
         
        11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
      #73
    Weanling
    Also she rides on a three ring bit. What ring do you have it on now?
         
        11-19-2013, 05:16 PM
      #74
    Super Moderator
    I wonder if the bulk of his problems are coming from the fact that he no longer has any friends to lean on?
    Does he pull hard when he plays up or does he just dance around?
         
        11-19-2013, 06:12 PM
      #75
    Banned
    I'm still riding him on the third ring and I will try to get mammy to take a video and I have the jump in the field so I'll do what I've been doing (but I'll try not to let what wa happening happen) and see how he responds!

    I felt him getting faster so I tried to pull him back a bit and then he went into trot and I tried to stop him and he went for a gallop! I tried turning him or stopping him but he just stopped when he got to the hill and I flipped over him and landed on my feet!! But if it wasn't for the wet grass I wouldn't have slid onto my bum then!!

    I will put tape up too and see will it keep him in while I'm riding him in the paddock.
         
        11-20-2013, 10:41 AM
      #76
    Super Moderator
    It sounds as if he just takes control when he feels like it and is so strong that you just can't do anything about it
    I'm posting a pic of the bit I think you are using and its pretty fierce really because on the bottom ring you've got leverage and the 'nutcracker' action of the jointed mouthpiece going on. Its a lot of bit for a young green horse
    Part of his problem might be that he's running away from all of that - its not uncommon in horses - especially young ones - to react that way to discomfort
    When you asked him to slow down did he put his head above the bit or did he tuck it in and get right behind it - or did he just lock his shoulder and jaw and ignore you because he had the strength to do that? Its something that these very thick necked cobs are very good at if they take the mind
    Shropshirerosie likes this.
         
        11-20-2013, 10:42 AM
      #77
    Super Moderator
    Forgot to post the pic!!!
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Captures.JPG (12.6 KB, 63 views)
         
        11-20-2013, 01:23 PM
      #78
    Banned
    Yes that's the bit I ride with. I don't know if it's right one for him or not but my trainer made me ride with that one so I trust her opinion.

    And I can't remember what he did when I tried slowing him! I think he either out his head down or just ignored it! Not sure sorry
         
        11-20-2013, 01:52 PM
      #79
    Super Moderator
    If he had put his head up I might have suggested a running martingale - but that's not going to help if he just ignores you or gets behind the bit
    He might do better in something like a Cheltenham gag that works on poll pressure or something with a sharper mouthpiece that he wouldn't want to lean on - but honestly these things are just Band Aids - though preventing him from actually taking off is at least a step forward in getting him out of the habit
    For now I would concentrate on getting that smaller schooling area done
    Have you tried hacking him out since you got him home?
    Shropshirerosie likes this.
         
        11-20-2013, 04:59 PM
      #80
    Green Broke
    Trigger123: My head is spinning from all your statements. You don't make any sense. Here's all the different things you've said that are contradictory:

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    he gets very excited and I fall off
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    He has just come back from training
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I am used to him and he is actually very quiet!
    Okay, I don't get this because he just came back from training, and he hasn't been home very long from the sounds of it. So therefore, you are not used to him.

    And right off the back you say he gets excited, but then you say he is quiet. Which is it? It can't be both.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I do have a good seat!
    No you don't. Your very first post said you fall off when your horse gets excited.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I don't get nervous when it hapens I just try to stop him! I wouldn't mind Him bolting and I would stop him but where I was riding him was on uneven ground and there was a big pole sticking out of the ground!
    What does uneven ground and a pole have to do with you falling off and him bolting? You should be able to stop your horse no matter where you are. Yes, the trainer trained him, but the trainer didn't train you. Training doesn't do any good unless you train both the horse and the rider.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I don't need any more lessons
    I'm sorry my dear, but yes you do need more lessons.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I wouldn't say he 'gets away with it' because when he gets like that I take him into the yard and ride him around there for a little while
    So he gets excited. You take 5 minutes to get off of him, or take him to the yard. Then get back on and "school" him.

    That's doesn't work. You ARE teaching him that he can get away with what he wants.

    You have 3 seconds to school a horse after their action. Or else they don't connect the punishment and don't learn squat.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    He's still young yet..
    Exactly!!! The old saying goes: Green + Green = Black & Blue

    A green horse like yours being ridden by a green rider like you, is going to result with one or both of you getting hurt.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I am eperienced enough to deal with this
    From the sounds of it, you don't know how to deal with this horse. Why would you come on here asking for help if you claim to know what you are doing?


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    my riding has been trashed too many times!
    By who?

    You're only 13. You've only had lessons for about 5 years. Of course your riding is not going to be perfect! You are learning and there is nothing wrong with learning.

    But you have to be honest with yourself and with others of your true riding ability. And you are not capable and not qualified to ride a green-broke 3-year-old colt.


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    He doesn't have any pain I think it is just excitement!
    You think?

    Are you a vet?

    Has he been examined by a vet? Then you can't just assume he is fine, especially when he was ridden at such an extremely young age.

    Plus the fact that some 3-year-old are not mentally ready to be ridden yet. They are all different. Some can take it; some lose their marbles when they are ridden too soon before they mentally mature.


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    No, I'm not having too much fun.
    Then PLEASE get a trainer to work with you AND your horse.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I don't think I know it all,
    But..... you said that:
    --you don't need lessons
    --you have a good seat
    --the horse is already "trained"

    Sounds like you know it all.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I just doubt myself as a rider.
    So again: Why do you think you don't need lessons? This is exactly why YOU DO!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I tried circling him and pulling him back but he gets a bit excited
    I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but this is why you need lessons. You don't know how to handle this green 3-year-old.

    Remember: green + green = black & blue

    Your lack of knowledge of what to do with him is only going to make him frustrated and irritated, and create bad habits. It is not a bad thing that you don't know what to do with him, because as I said you are still very much learning about horses and everyone was where you were at one point or another. But don't fool yourself into thinking you and horse can "grow up together" because that's how people get hurt and horses get spoiled rotten.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    my uncle's friend said he would ride him around and get the energy out of him!!
    That doesn't exactly work. Unless he plans on riding for hours on end, you aren't going to take all the energy out of a horse.

    People incorrectly think that's what lunging does: Takes all their energy so they behave.

    Instead, lunging should be used as a tool to get the horse to focus on your and respect you.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    And he doesn't need a 'more experienced rider'. Everyone goes through some difficulties so there's no need to get a 'better horse'. Trigger is just absolutely perfect! Nobody gets anywhere by giving up.

    Aaaaaaaand now we are back to you being a know-it-all again.

    You do not know what you are doing. At least admit it to yourself, if not to us.

    Your horse needs a more experienced rider.

    Yes, everyone goes through difficulties but it is downright STUPID and DANGEROUS to pair an unexperienced 13-year-old rider with an unexperienced 3-year-old colt. I'm very surprised your mother is allowing this, although she may not realize the gravity of the situation.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    He doesn't buck me off or hurt me on purpose (or at all really!!)
    Wait ..... you said earlier that he is quiet? Now he's a bucker??

    Your horse doesn't care about you.

    He will choose a bucket of grain over you.

    He will buck you off and leave you lying in the field with broken ribs.

    He will choose his horse buddies over you.

    He does not think about you during the day or wonder when you will come to visit.

    He. Is. A. Horse.

    You are inexperienced and you do not know how to deal with 3-year-old tantrums. You are going to continue to create bad habits and he is going to continue to do what he wants, because you don't know how to stop him.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I mean I posted her to SEE what people had to say!!
    Why on earth would you give a hoot as to what we had to say? After all, you aren't taking anyone's advice and are just ignoring everything.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    And I don't have "very little experience"!
    5 years of riding IS very little experience

    That would be like saying a 5th grader in school was ready to go into the adult workforce because they have lots of experience.

    Again, everyone has to start someone and it is nothing to be ashamed of if you only have 5 years of riding under your belt. But be honest to yourself and realize that that is not enough.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    Do you think I might need some other thing to control him?
    If you cannot control him with the bridle, and your seat/legs/body, no "contraption" you strap on him is going to help.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I have the jump in the field
    Exactly how big is this jump? Jumping is very strenuous on young joints and I would NOT be jumping a 3-year-old.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigger123    
    I felt him getting faster so I tried to pull him back a bit and then he went into trot and I tried to stop him and he went for a gallop!
    Get some lessons with your horse, for the last time. You have zero control over him.

    What if he runs through a fence?
    Or runs onto a highway into oncoming traffic?

    What if you had landed on your neck instead of your feet?

    You and this horse are a wreck waiting to happen. Get some lessons and work with your trainer, and do not ride this horse unless you are supervised by a trainer.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    excited!! BarrelracingArabian Horse Talk 4 04-18-2011 12:22 AM
    so excited! justsambam08 Horse Talk 0 02-03-2010 12:22 AM
    Very excited! ilovesonya Horse Breeding 1 01-13-2010 11:24 PM
    Im excited. Trinity Horse Pictures 10 01-11-2010 11:44 AM
    Excited! Beyond excited - or bexcited lol JumpingTheMoon Horse Breeding 4 12-10-2009 07:06 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0