Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: northeast Pennsylvania
tough decision-to board or not?
I'm not really sure where to put this, but it seemed like it might fit here.
I've been taken lessons at a stable about 25 minutes away since mid January and it's been going great, i really like the instructor, Val, and the lesson horse i use, Molly Rose. I have 3 of my own horses kept on my moms property, 3 miles from my house, my main focus, as Val knows if my 14year old OTTB mare Bella, She's been off since November(except for one ride on the 18th when the weather was nice) Well today my trainer told me that she has a stall open and asked me if i would be interested in boarding Bella for a month, i wouldn't be paying for lessons but she would work with Bella and I whenever i came up. The board is 200, but i would have to provide my own grain since she is fed something different then what they use , hay is included. Right now i pay $35/lesson and i have one a week, so depending on how often i can get up there it would be like having multiple lessons a week. My biggest concern is that Bella has ulcers and i'm concerned that the stress of moving her to a new place and then moving her back is really going to aggravate her ulcers...not to mention i have never had someone else take care of my horses, i trust Val and i know she would be in good hands when i'm not there, but the whole thought of not seeing her in the pasture with my other 2 is kinda strange...So since my husband is not being of any help, i'm turning to you guys to hope you can give me some pros and cons and if you think it would be a good idea or not, please help!