Weight
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Weight

This is a discussion on Weight within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Max weight for sturdy 15 hh horse
  • Sturdy built 17 hand riding horse

Like Tree58Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-19-2012, 11:27 AM
  #1
Foal
Question Weight

Hello everyone I weigh 250lbs and my horse Honey is 14.2 HH and wieghs 980lbs. I have not yet rode her because im afraid that I will hurt her. She is a stocky and sturdy horse. My nieghbor told me she would be fine with 20 minute incriments. I have about 15 acres of beautifull land and want to ride her. Im so confused. Please help me
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-19-2012, 11:44 AM
  #2
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyluv    
Hello everyone I weigh 250lbs and my horse Honey is 14.2 HH and wieghs 980lbs. I have not yet rode her because im afraid that I will hurt her. She is a stocky and sturdy horse. My nieghbor told me she would be fine with 20 minute incriments. I have about 15 acres of beautifull land and want to ride her. Im so confused. Please help me
I don't understand..why did you get a horse that you, yourself are afraid you will hurt if you ride?
     
    08-19-2012, 11:47 AM
  #3
Weanling
Is she part draft? I'm 160lbs and I'm afraid to get on anything under 15h unless their very sturdy built. Do you have pics of her? I personally would sell/ trade her for something bigger so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-19-2012, 12:12 PM
  #4
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseranch    
I don't understand..why did you get a horse that you, yourself are afraid you will hurt if you ride?
You must be new here. Some people on the forum seem to think that owning a horse is like owning a gold fish... not a whole lot of research goes into the process and it's more of a buy now, worry later type of thing.

I think it's the ignorant horse world in general. For example, a friend of mine works with an OTTB rescue centre and she gets calls every week from parents looking for a horse for their young children who have never, ever been on a horse! When my friend explains that most of these have come right off the track and need a mature confident rider the parents still don't seem to grasp the concept. No worries, it's not like these are large animals that have the potential to kill you if mishandled.

(Shakes head)
     
    08-19-2012, 12:17 PM
  #5
Green Broke
Do you have pictures of your horse that you can post? A picture will help with an assessment of the situation.
     
    08-19-2012, 12:27 PM
  #6
Foal
honey

First of all I did not buy her. I took on the responibility because a family member was going to hand her over to a horse rescue because her daughter wasnt taking care of her. I didnt want to see that happen because she has a beautifull pasture and she is very happy. I take very good care of her. If I were to buy a horse I would buy a much larger horse because of my size. I enjoy taking care of honey and would love to be able to enjoy riding her. I will try to post some pics so everyone can see and observe her profile. Thanks for all the feedback
     
    08-19-2012, 12:29 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxremoving    
You must be new here. Some people on the forum seem to think that owning a horse is like owning a gold fish... not a whole lot of research goes into the process and it's more of a buy now, worry later type of thing.

I think it's the ignorant horse world in general. For example, a friend of mine works with an OTTB rescue centre and she gets calls every week from parents looking for a horse for their young children who have never, ever been on a horse! When my friend explains that most of these have come right off the track and need a mature confident rider the parents still don't seem to grasp the concept. No worries, it's not like these are large animals that have the potential to kill you if mishandled.

(Shakes head)
haha yep, I was so concerned about being an actual horse owner I didn't do it for years! Only leased to learn the ropes, if you will. Geez, many years later I'm still learning about my 1000 & 2000 lb goldfish ;)

OP: there has been quite a few threads about weight and appropriate build of a horse...you are not alone in your concern..horses backs are built like a bridge with the supports being on the corners so if the horse is built with sturdy bone structure like a stout QH or a draft cross or some of the stout pony breeds should not be a problem. However, hard to say by your description...if your gut is telling you the horse is too small and your neighbor right there says 20 minutes only...the horse is probably too small for you!
honeyluv likes this.
     
    08-19-2012, 12:58 PM
  #8
Showing
General rule of thumb, the larger the rider, the longer the saddle to fit the rider's behind. If the saddle is a very good fit then the horse can carry a heavy rider. But a very good fit isn't the norm. The padding of an engish, nor the bars of the western must not go past the last rib or the horse will develop back issues or may buck, etc. There is a lot of movement behind the last rib which can push the saddle forward or to the side. If the saddle goes forward it can damage the ligaments in the shoulder blades.
honeyluv likes this.
     
    08-19-2012, 01:09 PM
  #9
Foal
Thank you, saddlebag and eclipseranch :) this is the kind of feedback im looking for. I will get some pics up tonight so you guys can see her build. I was told her previous owner was 6ft3in and close to 300lbs. Thanks for the tip on the saddle. Gthis may explain why it keeps shifting to the side while my son is on her. I was told it was the right fit but I think it looks way to big and bulky for her. I will take a much closer look THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
     
    08-19-2012, 01:11 PM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
General rule of thumb, the larger the rider, the longer the saddle to fit the rider's behind. If the saddle is a very good fit then the horse can carry a heavy rider. But a very good fit isn't the norm. The padding of an engish, nor the bars of the western must not go past the last rib or the horse will develop back issues or may buck, etc. There is a lot of movement behind the last rib which can push the saddle forward or to the side. If the saddle goes forward it can damage the ligaments in the shoulder blades.
I agree with proper fit of a saddle being important for a horse's well being and seat size being important for rider. However, I disagree with the rule of thumb on saddle being the rule for a heavier rider...bone structure/muscle of a horse is what supports the rider not the equipment. My short backed horses use a barrel saddle for fit that has absolutely nothing to do with weight of a rider
boots and honeyluv like this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it just weight... Or something else? shortysmalls Horse Health 27 11-16-2011 12:14 PM
Need Help with Weight! Spastic_Dove Horse Health 2 08-04-2008 03:54 PM
How to put Weight on...?? RedneckCutie Horse Health 17 07-21-2008 05:14 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0