Western Dressage - Thoughts ? - Page 15
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Western Dressage - Thoughts ?

This is a discussion on Western Dressage - Thoughts ? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree559Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-25-2012, 08:16 PM
      #141
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
    You need to learn what Classical Dressage is, then watch modern dressage competition, then go to a Buck Brannaman clinic to see how the same principles are being used there too. Then you might even learn to have more control over and less problems on the trail with your own horse.
    My God you people are rude. Why would you say that to anyone?

    Bsms was trying to explain his view point. You resort to childish b.s. Because you don't agree.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
      #142
    Trained
    He is not trying to explain. He is lecturing us and twisting the truth. Just because to prove HIS point. And I stand by that comment about going to a Brannaman clinic and learning how to ride better. Anybody will take something home from a BB clinic.
         
        11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
      #143
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
    Um....I'm talking about collection alone.....no breed bashing....I am saying that just because a horse has not been trained through the 'dressage' pyramid does not mean it is incapable of performing the same or better than what the FEI judges are looking for.....jeez, you are touchy......

    I never said anything about warmbloods, they are certainly suited to dressage and I never said they weren't....

    Read my posts a bit better and quit adding in things.....
    You obviously aren't reading mine...

    Ugh. Forget it. THis is like talking to a brick wall. I'm done.
         
        11-25-2012, 08:23 PM
      #144
    Trained
    Good riding is the basis for all riding. Dressage is a sport or discipline of riding. It's like saying football or hockey are the basis for all contact sports. Simply not true and ignorant.

    As well if you actually take a read through a WD rule book you'll find that a WB would win a class over a QH if both horses put in the same test. Talking to WD judges and other officials, the only difference in the judging is nothing. I can put a western saddle on my WB and go ride WD and do the same as I do in normal dressage. It is simply a money grab. If people want to pay for the tests I put them in my horse shows, this is no different.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        11-25-2012, 08:35 PM
      #145
    Trained
    Now what exactly makes you think your WB would be better than a QH in a WD test?
    Don't want to argue. Just curious.
         
        11-25-2012, 08:36 PM
      #146
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
    He is not trying to explain. He is lecturing us and twisting the truth. Just because to prove HIS point. And I stand by that comment about going to a Brannaman clinic and learning how to ride better. Anybody will take something home from a BB clinic.
    BB is not "all that" either. No ONE person is, just like no ONE discipline is. Your comment was a personal attack and was uncalled for. Read a few posts here-many of us don't like BB much, I just happen to like ONE line of what he said, thus my signature.

    I don't like all the history crap either. I just glaze over those posts and to me it is all "Blah...blah...blah....dressage....blah, blah, blah." We had another thread like this a couple of weeks ago, so BSMS probably still had all the history stuff at the ready.
         
        11-25-2012, 08:44 PM
      #147
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by core    
    I don't agree. If a good reining horse can meet/exceed the degree of collection required for a dressage horse then theoretically the dressage horse would have all the collection it needs to be a good reining horse. I seriously doubt a horse trained through GP dressage (the highest degree of collection that we test) could be competitive as a reiner. It's just not the same.

    I have an idea.. prove me wrong. Take your reiner to a dressage show and ride a Grand Prix test. And don't use the "my horse isn't a warmblood" excuse with me. My old half Arab used to beat the snot out of the fancy warmbloods. My paint mutt beats the warmbloods. If my off breed horses can out score the warmbloods, then your reining horse should be able to at least hold it's own against a warmblood.

    And I'm not taking my dressage horse to a reining competition. I already know we'd get our a$$ess handed to us.

    Love the pot calling the kettle black thing you've got going on.
    Issue is-those of us who ride reiners don't do much "trotting", so a test with a true reiner may be a little tough. However, most of them would do pretty well, except for that......we may have to work on smooth transitions....downward ones, since we tend to stops a bit quickly....... But, when it comes to collection-reiners definitely would have that, and that was what MG was saying. I think there is probably more to a dressage test than just collection, just like there is more to a reining pattern than collection. BUT, you NEED collection to complete the maneuvers.
    Muppetgirl likes this.
         
        11-25-2012, 08:47 PM
      #148
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
    He is not trying to explain. He is lecturing us and twisting the truth. Just because to prove HIS point...
    And unlike you, I did prove my point. I used EVIDENCE. I didn't make empty claims, but showed WHY a reasonable person should agree.

    I didn't twist anything. The photos were real. The paintings and statues were real. The quote from Xenophon was real.

    And I back it up with having actually read military manuals, and from an understanding of the military that came with 25+ years in the US Air Force. If someone needed you to get 3,000 horses and 2,500 riders ready for a war that could break out in 2-3 months, you had better not buy up a bunch of dressage manuals!

    Dressage - and I don't care if you call it classical or competitive - is about perfection. The military is about "good enough". No one in their right mind would use a system that takes years of training and apply it to the military.

    Yes, my mare is a challenge for me. She was sold to me as good for a beginner, and in reality the trainer who did so much for her concluded 3 years later than she had never been broken to ride. Take a total beginner, and add an Arabian mare who probably hadn't been broken, and who definitely had never gone outside of an arena, and you have the classic recipe for disaster. But Mia & I have stuck with each other, and we're now working on exorcising her inner demons. If she ever becomes "just a trail horse", it will reflect great credit on a lady whose background was barrel racing, and on me - although I may go to my grave with pain in my back from our adventures on the way. And my actual goal for her isn't for her to learn dressage, but to so rid her of her inner demons that I can someday take her to a local barrel racing competition...and finish last. If we ever pull it off, together, then last place will still be a victory. And I honestly think most genuine dressage riders can understand and respect that...
    Kayty and core like this.
         
        11-25-2012, 08:51 PM
      #149
    Trained
    I really don't care who likes or doesn't like BB. And if you are not interested in the history behind all of that, fine with me. But when people dig into history, then they should keep it straight. Not twist and turn it however suits them best.
    As for "getting personal", he is the one reporting about the problems he has with his horse, not in this thread, but in others. Therefore mentioning learning more and attending a clinic, by WHOEVER, might actually be helpful.
         
        11-25-2012, 08:58 PM
      #150
    Trained
    Bsms, I hear you with Mia and I sincerely wish you all the best with her.
    For classical dressage, maybe we'll have a chance elsewhere to discuss it and come even to an agreement. A heated topic like this one is not the best place.
    bsms likes this.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Your thoughts on just a saddle blanket? (western) Clair Horse Tack and Equipment 14 03-31-2011 06:15 PM
    Two potential horses to lease: thoughts on which might be a better dressage partner? dutchess Dressage 13 02-28-2011 12:22 PM
    Gaited Dressage. Thoughts? southerncowgirl93 Dressage 11 02-23-2010 10:06 PM
    Wintec 2000 Pro Dressage Saddle - Thoughts? ChingazMyBoy Horse Tack and Equipment 3 02-20-2010 07:21 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0