Western Dressage - Thoughts ? - Page 33 - The Horse Forum
 559Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #321 of 502 Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
"working jog" and "working lope" are essentially the same as our working trot and canter. In the rules it states something about "to the horse's ability" I think. But anyways, as the WDAA representative doing the clinic in my area put it to the judges "It should be judged the exact same as a normal dressage test". Too slow/unrhythmical is penalized, head too low is penalized, behind the bit is penalized, shuffling gaits are penalized, etc..

WDAA uses USDF judges. It is judged like a dressage test. Honestly the outcome will be the exact same as a normal dressage class and eventually people with non-traditional dressage breeds will be complaining again how their horses are beat by the elitist snobs on horses bred for dressage, just now it's in different tack. As was suggested in a previous WD thread, it would be far more "WD" like to have a western gaming event, like pole bending or barrels, and then go do your dressage test and the combined score determines placing. Like in eventing.
now reading that, I ask myself why would dressage people go so low and do WD....to prove a point? And which one?
Nothing wrong with a warmblood being ridden western, and capable of jogging and loping, but judging it as a dressage horse in a western event is just plain wrong and if I was the organizer of that show, I certainly wouldn't get that judge back.

We'll see how it evolves over time.
deserthorsewoman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #322 of 502 Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,712
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Define "western horses".

What happens when you tell all the arabian people they cant put western tack on their horses, or draft people, or gaited horse breeds??

Anyone is apt to put whatever tack they want on their horse and go compete in whatever they want. It is the subjectivity of the judges that decides who will win. If dressage judges are used for WD and told "judge it exactly like a dressage test" it's no small wonder what is going to happen..
What I'm saying is have breed registered classes.....like the AQHA etc.....then why not just put all the high point earners from all registered breeds in the ring once a year?? With reining you have the AQHA, for the quarter horses, then you have the APHA for the paint horses who have their own reining circuit etc....

It would be interesting to have something like that with the warmbloods......then have a battle of the breeds once a year.....that would be interesting!

As for breed specifics in terms of what they can and cannot do, any breed can have a decent go at 'most' things.....as for the Arabian horses, I'm sure they probably have their own WD circuit going already.....let's throw all the high point earners from every breed that has a WD circuit in the ring once a year.....that'd be fun!

Last edited by Muppetgirl; 11-28-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Muppetgirl is offline  
post #323 of 502 Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl View Post
What I'm saying is have breed registered classes.....like the AQHA etc.....then why not just put all the high point earners from all registered breeds in the ring once a year?? With reining you have the AQHA, for the quarter horses, then you have the APHA for the paint horses who have their own reining circuit etc....

It would be interesting to have something like that with the warmbloods......then have a battle of the breeds once a year.....that would be interesting!
Considering the WB breeds are so muddled, especially here in the states, I'm not sure it would be so interesting.
My horse is Swedish branded but by a Hanoverian and out of a Danish mare. What breed would he compete for?

RE: DHW

How is it "low" for people on WBs to want to do WD?? I think it would be fun to find a western saddle and go do some different tests and get to wear a fancy rail shirt. How is it NOT elitist to say that?? Is it "low' of people with western breeds of horses to go in normal dressage?? I'm the elitist bitch, really??

I'm saying that judges are instructed to judge WD as a dressage class, it's in the rule book. Please, go read it. Email the WDAA, they are super nice. If you didn't bring back judges who judged WD as a dressage class then you would have no judges left to judge it as you must use a USEF sanctioned dressage judge to judge the classes!
paintsrule likes this.

They say money doesn't buy happiness -- well happiness doesn't buy horses!
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #324 of 502 Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ~*~ NEBRASKA ~*~
Posts: 4,367
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
I think it would be fun to find a western saddle and go do some different tests and get to wear a fancy rail shirt.
Ha ha, that sounds different than the Western Dressage I saw last year at our schooling shows. Most of the people who showed up for WD appeared to be wearing the every day riding garb...stained blue jeans, beat up boots, long sleeve collard shirt and even their saddle pads were every day pads and not even "show" pads that you usually see at other Western Shows. One person wore her WP garb.
Cinnys Whinny is offline  
post #325 of 502 Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny View Post
Ha ha, that sounds different than the Western Dressage I saw last year at our schooling shows. Most of the people who showed up for WD appeared to be wearing the every day riding garb...stained blue jeans, beat up boots, long sleeve collard shirt and even their saddle pads were every day pads and not even "show" pads that you usually see at other Western Shows. One person wore her WP garb.
I would blind the judge with the amount of bling on me.
I secretly lust for my rail shirts of old.

They say money doesn't buy happiness -- well happiness doesn't buy horses!
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #326 of 502 Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by core View Post
I didn't say they couldn't use dressage everything (I'm assuming me since I posted the replies listing all the dressage specific stuff WD uses). I was saying that they need to adhere to the principles and concepts of dressage if they want to do dressage (in any tack they want). Current examples of WD do not show the basics of dressage training. That was all I was trying to say. Not that they couldn't in time create a broader understanding of the basics of dressage training and apply it correctly to a western horse if the rider so chooses. I just wish WDA would remove the slower gaits so the horse could be allowed to move out freely.
Posted via Mobile Device
Honestly I can't remember who said it and refuse to go look
I don't think the slower gaits should be removed as they are the western part. I also think there shouldn't be too much emphasis put on spectacular extended gaits, rather free-er and more forward.
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #327 of 502 Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: England
Posts: 526
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Define "western horses".

What happens when you tell all the arabian people they cant put western tack on their horses, or draft people, or gaited horse breeds??

Anyone is apt to put whatever tack they want on their horse and go compete in whatever they want. It is the subjectivity of the judges that decides who will win. If dressage judges are used for WD and told "judge it exactly like a dressage test" it's no small wonder what is going to happen..
A Western Horse is a horse that lives 'out west' in America isn't it? In fact, any horse that lives in America is Western which means...they are all Western horses. End of arguments...LOL or should I be saying 'Define America' - which was a British Colony...which means that all British Horses are Western Horses too. Gosh I'm amazed. Must just go off and write a book!
Bluebird is offline  
post #328 of 502 Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 13,588
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Here is my dressage contender! He's called Rodney and anyone who tells me his conformation is wrong...I'll send Rodders round and you can tell him yourself.
Schweppes Bull - YouTube
Wow, you have a Bull that does Schweppes Commercials?


hmmmmmm

.
SouthernTrails is offline  
post #329 of 502 Old 11-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Considering the WB breeds are so muddled, especially here in the states, I'm not sure it would be so interesting.
My horse is Swedish branded but by a Hanoverian and out of a Danish mare. What breed would he compete for?

RE: DHW

How is it "low" for people on WBs to want to do WD?? I think it would be fun to find a western saddle and go do some different tests and get to wear a fancy rail shirt. How is it NOT elitist to say that?? Is it "low' of people with western breeds of horses to go in normal dressage?? I'm the elitist bitch, really??

I'm saying that judges are instructed to judge WD as a dressage class, it's in the rule book. Please, go read it. Email the WDAA, they are super nice. If you didn't bring back judges who judged WD as a dressage class then you would have no judges left to judge it as you must use a USEF sanctioned dressage judge to judge the classes!
Having a hard time following on my cell

In going low was meant for those, and im sure they exist, who would go and compete in WD to "show them how a real horse wins all the time". Im sure you know the one or the other of that kind. And don't start the elitist thing again please, you are currently proving that you are not.
If the Rulebook states that everything should be judged as dressage is, without taking into consideration the western elements, then something is wrong with it.
Bluebird likes this.
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #330 of 502 Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: England
Posts: 526
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA View Post
Wow, you have a Bull that does Schweppes Commercials?


hmmmmmm

.
Yep! Sure do (LOL). Isn't he good?
Also Have a couple of horses (Clydesdales) that do fashion photoshoots (that last bit is actually true!)
Bluebird is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your thoughts on just a saddle blanket? (western) Clair Horse Tack and Equipment 14 03-31-2011 05:15 PM
Two potential horses to lease: thoughts on which might be a better dressage partner? dutchess Dressage 13 02-28-2011 11:22 AM
Gaited Dressage. Thoughts? southerncowgirl93 Dressage 11 02-23-2010 09:06 PM
Wintec 2000 Pro Dressage Saddle - Thoughts? ChingazMyBoy Horse Tack and Equipment 3 02-20-2010 06:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome