Western Dressage - Thoughts ? - Page 36 - The Horse Forum

 559Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 502 Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 21,395
• Horses: 3
Eitan Beth-halachmy has now split from Western Dressage due to his feelings that it hasnt gone in the direction he envisaged - he always saw it as about the Western horse and rider and not about dressage in western tack
He is concentrating on his own Cowboy Dressage tests which will have different lettering and format to conventional dressage.
There is more info on his website and youtube channel
jaydee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #352 of 502 Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 52
• Horses: 1
Well, it seems like everyone here who has replied has never done or shown western dressage, so I thought it might be nice to add the opinion of someone whose main discipline is western dressage.

First of all, I think it's very different from other western disciplines, which I saw I lot of people saying that it wasn't. I've riding in almost all different western disciplines, and I can surely say western dressage is very different.

Also, my trainer was one of the co-founders of the discipline, so I guess I have more help and exposure to how western dressage SHOULD be done, than how some people are choosing to do it.

I don't know where all of this stuff about over-doing contact and what not came from, but I've never seen that at shows I've been to. Of course, I show western dressage at Breed A shows, so there might be a lot more experienced people there who know what they're doing. I school my horse in a snaffle, and even warm him up in one before the show. You collect them just the same as you do in a western pleasure class (Morgan, not QH-- their head carriage should look like this, not peanut-pushing. There should be some contact because it's dressage, and that's how dressage is. It's not western pleasure, but you do have to be careful with a curb bit, just like english dressage riders have to be careful with a double bridle.

I feel as though Western Dressage, at the least, provides a very good foundation to other western disciplines, just like english dressage is a great suppliment to other english disciplines. It teaches great horsemanship, and really help you and your horse become balanced and in-tune. I read one of the replies that said that the western dressage tests were easy, but JJ's doing pirouettes at the canter and starting piaffes, so I would say to hold your tongue on that one :) Also, it's a very new and developing discipline! Give it some time to build up a foundation and standards. As it grows in popularity, more difficult tests will be made, and people will start to become more involved. So far, I think that western dressage has done wonders for my horse and I that any other western discipline could have NEVER done, and really, is no less supplimental or beneficial than english dressage is to english riders. It really does teach the grace and standards of english dressage except it has been adapted to western riders, which shouldn't be under appreciated.

Last edited by Opal; 02-17-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Opal is offline  
post #353 of 502 Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 173
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
You collect them just the same as you do in a western pleasure class (Morgan, not QH-- their head carriage should look like this, not peanut-pushing.

<snipped>
No less supplimental or beneficial than english dressage is to english riders.
Your quote above is why WD isn't like real dressage. It misses the theory of dressage, the most important concept of real dressage.

I hope that WD evolves, but the fact that a student of WD, who is training with the founder of WD, can't identify a horse that's truly working over it's back... it shows that there is a fundamental gap missing from WD training.
ponypile, Wallaby, smrobs and 4 others like this.
core is offline  
post #354 of 502 Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 8,824
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
...I don't know where all of this stuff about over-doing contact and what not came from, but I've never seen that at shows I've been to...You collect them just the same as you do in a western pleasure class (Morgan, not QH-- their head carriage should look like this, not peanut-pushing. There should be some contact because it's dressage, and that's how dressage is. It's not western pleasure, but you do have to be careful with a curb bit, just like english dressage riders have to be careful with a double bridle...
THIS refers to this:



Don't know if that is a picture of WD or WP, but it sure isn't how I would want to ride a horse! When a leveraged bit has a lot of tension on the reins, the horse ought to be stopping. IMHO. Using a leveraged bit to set a head frame and calling it collection doesn't strike me as good riding for any discipline...but I'm speaking as someone who doesn't show or compete in anything, so maybe I'm missing some finer nuances.

If so, I'd be glad to hear what they are!
Wallaby and Tessa7707 like this.

"There goes Earl!"
bsms is online now  
post #355 of 502 Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 707
• Horses: 4
Opal, I really appreciate your first hand input, so thank you! However, I'm still having a problem with this-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
There should be some contact because it's dressage, and that's how dressage is.
There should be no contact because its a curb. Are you allowed to show in a snaffle? Like english dressage? IMO, if we're going to ride with contact, the bit should be a snaffle, if we're riding with loose reins, a curb is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
JJ's doing pirouettes at the canter and starting piaffes.
This is awesome!
Tessa7707 is offline  
post #356 of 502 Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 52
• Horses: 1
(Whoops)
Dustbunny likes this.

Last edited by Opal; 02-17-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Opal is offline  
post #357 of 502 Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 52
• Horses: 1
@Core
I think that people are frustrated because they want it embody either English OR Western, when it's trying to bring them together. There are going to be concepts about it which look more at the english aspect, and concepts that look more at the western aspect. The collection is different. You don't ride a western horse in a double bridle, so obviously the collection is going to have to be different. Collection is still collection regardless of horse or discipline. It's about what the correct way to collect your horse for what it's doing is, not simply "THE correct way to collect your horse."

Also, he's not THE founder of western dressage. I'll link you to him.
Cliff Swanson | Western Dressage Association® of America

I'd really appreciate you not down-talking me though. I see that this thread has a tense past, but please don't bring that into this discussion. Let's all try to remain civil here. I really want to hear other peoples opinions about it without the passive aggressive words, and I AM nervous talking about it since the vast majority of you seem to despise the discipline and thus seem to naturally despise me before having heard me out completely.

(On a slightly off-hand subject, your horse is absolutely beautiful! Oh my goodness!)

@Bsms (And Tessa too since you asked about contact! :)
Ack! I linked the wrong picture. Lemme go find it and re-link...
Edit: Well, I can't find the photo, but here's an except to give you an idea of what's expected. I'll link the whole article too.

"A Western Dressage horse moving correctly on the bit should demonstrate that he stretches into the rider’s contact. He should not be shown with a draped rein. Instead, there should be LIGHT rein tone evident between horse and rider. It should appear that the horse is seeking a feel of the rider’s hands. While doing this, it should appear that his neck is arching and stretching forward from his body or that he “looks through” the bridle. Riding strong visible rein cues, constantly bumping the bit, or causing a horse to gape his mouth are considered serious faults. Special emphasis is given to a quiet mouth with head carriage that reflects the degree of collection and an appropriate balance for each individual horse. Head and neck carriage are the result of the Western Dressage horse learning to carry the rest of his body in balance. Riders must not take short-cuts to create a head set prior to the horse learning to use his body properly. Riding either one or two-handed is permitted, as is using snaffle or curb. Riders choose the best option for themselves and their mounts."

Link to the rest of the article - http://westerndressageassociation.or...rnDressage.pdf

@Tessa (only XD)
I school JJ in a regular snaffle, so I suppose that's what I mainly mean when I say contact is important (as it's important not only to address the showing style of WD, but the schooling techniques too!) but I probably needed to specify. Also, refer to the quoted bit from the article above because I feel that it explains WD expected contact levels well.

And thank you for the complement! He's getting so good <3
Tessa7707 likes this.

Last edited by Opal; 02-17-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Forgot to paste link.
Opal is offline  
post #358 of 502 Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 173
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
The collection is different. You don't ride a western horse in a double bridle, so obviously the collection is going to have to be different. Collection is still collection regardless of horse or discipline. It's about what the correct way to collect your horse for what it's doing is, not simply "THE correct way to collect your horse."
We don't obtain collection from a double bridle. We obtain it with a snaffle. There are no correctly trained dressage horses that require a double to be collected. Collection should NEVER be different between WD and real dressage, not if you're going to call it dressage. If collection is not collection as defined by USDF, then it's not dressage because it is not demonstrating the theories or concepts of dressage.

Quote:
I'd really appreciate you not down-talking me though.
I'm not 'down-talking' to you. I'm explaining why what you're showing as "collection" is not collection defined in dressage. That's the western idea of what collection is, and it's nowhere near what it means in dressage.

I sincerely wish you numerous years of having a blast doing WD! I'm glad you found something you enjoy and that helps you. I am making one suggestion... that you look into why that picture of the Morgan horse was not correct. I think you could learn a great deal, and improve your enjoyment of WD.
Wallaby, ~*~anebel~*~ and Kayty like this.
core is offline  
post #359 of 502 Old 02-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 52
• Horses: 1
@Core
It isn't collection as defined by classical dressage, because it's not classical dressage. You're trying to merge two suprisignly different things. I am curious why you say that "Collection should NEVER be different in WD and real dressage."
If you're using different tack, and a different bit, and have different expectation, why shouldn't collection be different too? You don't think that a horse is collected differently in a curb bit than in a double bridle?

Also, I school JJ in a snaffle, not a curb, so I am equally as proficent at obtaining correct collection in a snaffle as you are. Thus, there are no correctly trained WD horses who require a curb to be collected. I never said that you needed a double bridle to collect, only that collection in a double bridle is different than collection in a curb. We both collect the same way in a snaffle though.

I don't think you read the other stuff I posted, and perhaps I should have suggested it after I ended what I wrote to you. The picture was a wrong link, and was a terrible example to top. I quoted what kind of collection is looked for in WD too.

"A Western Dressage horse moving correctly on the bit should demonstrate that he stretches into the rider’s contact. He should not be shown with a draped rein. Instead, there should be LIGHT rein tone evident between horse and rider. It should appear that the horse is seeking a feel of the rider’s hands. While doing this, it should appear that his neck is arching and stretching forward from his body or that he “looks through” the bridle. Riding strong visible rein cues, constantly bumping the bit, or causing a horse to gape his mouth are considered serious faults. Special emphasis is given to a quiet mouth with head carriage that reflects the degree of collection and an appropriate balance for each individual horse. Head and neck carriage are the result of the Western Dressage horse learning to carry the rest of his body in balance. Riders must not take short-cuts to create a head set prior to the horse learning to use his body properly. Riding either one or two-handed is permitted, as is using snaffle or curb. Riders choose the best option for themselves and their mounts."

And thank you! I felt like we've really come a long way through use of dressage movements and principles, and I really admire classical dressage riders :)
Opal is offline  
post #360 of 502 Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,685
• Horses: 0
Can't help it....sorry....but what do you define as the Western idea of collection, core?
Im not talking showring, im talking every day work/training.

Last edited by deserthorsewoman; 02-17-2013 at 12:59 PM.
deserthorsewoman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your thoughts on just a saddle blanket? (western) Clair Horse Tack and Equipment 14 03-31-2011 05:15 PM
Two potential horses to lease: thoughts on which might be a better dressage partner? dutchess Dressage 13 02-28-2011 11:22 AM
Gaited Dressage. Thoughts? southerncowgirl93 Dressage 11 02-23-2010 09:06 PM
Wintec 2000 Pro Dressage Saddle - Thoughts? ChingazMyBoy Horse Tack and Equipment 3 02-20-2010 06:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome