Western Pleasure...?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Western Pleasure...?

This is a discussion on Western Pleasure...? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Western pleasure horse martingale
  • Why do western pleasure trainers have their martingale so low

Like Tree256Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-30-2012, 12:08 PM
  #1
Started
Western Pleasure...?

Personally, I'm not a fan, but I'm not going to bash it or start a fight. I just saw this video of a person training their horse and saw the martengale and kinda just lost it. No wonder the horses head is so low. The martengale is much to tight for it! When/if I ever use a martengale it's for maybe the first 20 minutes of a couple rides, and it's set so that it will only actually do something if the horse tries to get it's head up in the air. But watching this video... I hardly see horses with their heads like that naturally, but having it tied that low....

I dunno. I guess this is a bit of a rant. No offense to WP riders intended... It's just not my thing I guess. I think it's just some of the training that ruined WP for me. Oh, and the lack of speed, I like to go fast.

IquitosARG10 likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
  #2
Ink
Weanling
Eh, I'm not a fan of martingales by any means, but that one looks like it's adjusted properly. I was always taught that you want the rings to hit a the point of the horse's shoulder, any higher than that and you pretty much defeat the purpose of even using one. Also, I believe the point is more to get the horse to tuck his nose in and round up, rather than to encourage a low headset. Again, I don't like to ride in the things but that's just what I've picked up from having to use them on the school horses in college.

Also I would like to point out that many western pleasure horses are bred to carry a naturally level headset. My mare (has cow horse bloodlines but still) almost always travels with a level top line, not because I've forced her into that position from gadgets or other training methods, but because that's the way she naturally carries herself.
     
    01-30-2012, 12:40 PM
  #3
Started
I have cowbred horses too, but they have a little bit of run in them too...so they like to have their heads a little up. :/ When I use a martengale, it's adjusted so if the rein is straight from the bit when the horse's head is relaxed, the ring is equal with the rein...I don't really like the things either, Ink. A lot of those "tools" have had their uses so abused. I dunno. I use a tiedown for my roping mare for balance. And it's loose 80% of the time.

I just don't like how there was no release on the downward pressure of the martengale... my 3 year old would be very grumpy with that...she's probably try to buck me off or something. She hates being asked for the same thing constantly.
     
    01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
  #4
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by QHriderKE    
Personally, I'm not a fan, but I'm not going to bash it or start a fight. I just saw this video of a person training their horse and saw the martengale and kinda just lost it. No wonder the horses head is so low. The martengale is much to tight for it! When/if I ever use a martengale it's for maybe the first 20 minutes of a couple rides, and it's set so that it will only actually do something if the horse tries to get it's head up in the air. But watching this video... I hardly see horses with their heads like that naturally, but having it tied that low....

I dunno. I guess this is a bit of a rant. No offense to WP riders intended... It's just not my thing I guess. I think it's just some of the training that ruined WP for me. Oh, and the lack of speed, I like to go fast.

January 24, 2012 - YouTube
OK, first of all....do you have permission from the owner to post that video here and then ridicule it? That person in the vid happens to me a friend of mine. You are SO NOT COOL for posting that vid without her permission.
rob and NeuroticMare like this.
     
    01-30-2012, 02:24 PM
  #5
Trained
You must not have spent much time on youtube if this is what you found to rant about. While I think it's an excellent example of what is wrong with western pleasure it's not an example of acute abusive behaviour.
Wallaby, gigem88 and aggiegirl14 like this.
     
    01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
  #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotaDunQH    
OK, first of all....do you have permission from the owner to post that video here and then ridicule it? That person in the vid happens to me a friend of mine. You are SO NOT COOL for posting that vid without her permission.
If it's on youtube it's fair game, gotta be careful what you release out to the public. Not for or against, just pointing out
Ink, natisha, gigem88 and 4 others like this.
     
    01-30-2012, 02:41 PM
  #7
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
You must not have spent much time on youtube if this is what you found to rant about. While I think it's an excellent example of what is wrong with western pleasure it's not an example of acute abusive behaviour.
I don't think it's abusive. There is no beating, wicked spurring...ect, but I just don't like the martengale and how she chose to use it...
     
    01-30-2012, 02:59 PM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianimalz    
If it's on youtube it's fair game, gotta be careful what you release out to the public. Not for or against, just pointing out

Agreed. We all post videos to share on this forum. Just because you know this person does not mean that it is all of a sudden the wrong thing to do. The point of youtube is to share videos with EVERYONE. You need to be able to handle the comments, good and bad, that come along with it.
     
    01-30-2012, 03:01 PM
  #9
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotaDunQH    
OK, first of all....do you have permission from the owner to post that video here and then ridicule it? That person in the vid happens to me a friend of mine. You are SO NOT COOL for posting that vid without her permission.
I also know the horse & rider in the video,so also was surprised to see the video posted. That horse has a naturally low headset & quiet relaxed demeanor with or without the running martingale he would travel much the same.I do not see some overly low headset.
     
    01-30-2012, 03:18 PM
  #10
Banned
Following this thread to see if maybe I can learn a few things from the Western Pleasurers (Like that phrase? ), not interested in doing it myself, but interested if a few new things can be learnt.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Halter, Western Pleasure, Western Horsemanship kaykat31 Horse Showmanship 6 09-01-2011 04:54 PM
Western Pleasure Bit help? horseluver50 Horse Tack and Equipment 10 08-07-2010 03:19 PM
Western Pleasure help! HorseOfCourse Horse Training 3 07-30-2009 09:23 PM
Who does Western Pleasure??? Horse_Chick Western Riding 59 03-20-2009 12:44 PM
Western Pleasure girl_on_black_pony Western Riding 0 08-09-2008 05:48 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0