What is considered a 'bad' fall for replacing helmet?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

What is considered a 'bad' fall for replacing helmet?

This is a discussion on What is considered a 'bad' fall for replacing helmet? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Do you replace horse helmet after a single fall
  • Replacing a helmet after a bad fall

Like Tree24Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-04-2012, 04:11 PM
  #1
Foal
Smile What is considered a 'bad' fall for replacing helmet?

I know I always hear and read you need to replace your helmet after a bad fall, but I have to wonder what is considered a 'bad fall'?

I fell off the other day trotting and I remember banging my head, but I felt on my hip/side. Once I got moving again, I asked my instructor if my helmet needed replacing and she said no it was fine, I didn't land on my head. I did find out that I cracked a couple ribs, so I hit the ground harder than I had thought.

So I thought it wouldn't need to be replaced, but now that I know I've cracked bone it makes me worried maybe my helmet does need replacing.

So I just thought I'd see what the opinion was on a 'bad fall'.

TIA!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-04-2012, 04:13 PM
  #2
Showing
ANY fall that involves your head, your helmet needs to be replaced.

I follow the rule of thumb that my helmet gets replaced every 5 years from the date of manufacture, or after a fall, whichever comes first.
BCtazzie, waresbear and verona1016 like this.
     
    06-04-2012, 04:14 PM
  #3
Super Moderator
This is a good question. Some would say any fall with contact to the helmet to ground. I have had some, but it was like, I landed on my back or hip, THEN rolled a bit to that my head hit the ground, but was not hard. One time it tore the velvet on the helmet.
I HAVE replaced a helmet once that did receive a good whack. It had an obvious crack in the foam lining. Sent it to Troxel who put in a new lining for $25.
     
    06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsies    
I know I always hear and read you need to replace your helmet after a bad fall, but I have to wonder what is considered a 'bad fall'?

I fell off the other day trotting and I remember banging my head, but I felt on my hip/side. Once I got moving again, I asked my instructor if my helmet needed replacing and she said no it was fine, I didn't land on my head. I did find out that I cracked a couple ribs, so I hit the ground harder than I had thought.

So I thought it wouldn't need to be replaced, but now that I know I've cracked bone it makes me worried maybe my helmet does need replacing.

So I just thought I'd see what the opinion was on a 'bad fall'.

TIA!

I had a friend that got a concussion after being tossed..That's bad--- or if you see any structural damage, Plus I usually replace after 5 years regardless.
     
    06-04-2012, 04:32 PM
  #5
Foal
I only wear a helmet cos people get angry if I don't. But I'm stooopid, and have a very thick skull.
     
    06-04-2012, 04:37 PM
  #6
Foal
If there's no visible damage, you're fine. I've fallen quite a few times since I've gotten my helmet, most of which I didn't really slam my head on the ground. I find it a little ridiculous to replace it every single time I fall off. I'd be getting 3 helmets a year if that were the case!
     
    06-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  #7
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunJumpRide    
If there's no visible damage, you're fine.
Please don't tell someone that, because it's completely incorrect. You don't need to have visible damage for the safety systems to be compromised.

I'd rather buy 3 helmets a year, than not have the proper protection should I take a fall.

Maybe you need a less reactive horse, or more lessons if you fall off that often?
     
    06-04-2012, 04:46 PM
  #8
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
Please don't tell someone that, because it's completely incorrect. You don't need to have visible damage for the safety systems to be compromised.

I'd rather buy 3 helmets a year, than not have the proper protection should I take a fall.

Maybe you need a less reactive horse, or more lessons if you fall off that often?



What do you mean, "that often?"
     
    06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
  #9
Showing
Don't you think falling off 3 times or more a year is indicative of SOME problem? Whether it's more time in the saddle or riding a less reactive horse, either way something's not quite right with the scenario.
     
    06-04-2012, 06:01 PM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunJumpRide    
If there's no visible damage, you're fine. I've fallen quite a few times since I've gotten my helmet, most of which I didn't really slam my head on the ground. I find it a little ridiculous to replace it every single time I fall off. I'd be getting 3 helmets a year if that were the case!
It's the unseen damage to be worried about! The next time you fall, that thing is not going to do much in the way of saving your head.

Seriously, how much do YOU value your brain?
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about replacing one bit with another, opinions??? nvr2many Horse Tack and Equipment 4 04-16-2012 06:50 PM
Replacing Billets Horseychick94 Horse Tack and Equipment 20 11-28-2011 08:17 PM
Breaks need replacing... xeventer17 Horse Training 5 01-22-2010 05:53 PM
Replacing helmet o0hawaiigirl0o Horse Tack and Equipment 4 09-12-2008 11:19 AM
Replacing the old with the new StatedOtherwise Horse Breeds 5 02-11-2008 09:45 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0