What discipline do you think has the most well-trained/obedient horses?
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

What discipline do you think has the most well-trained/obedient horses?

This is a discussion on What discipline do you think has the most well-trained/obedient horses? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • What disipline horse should i look at
  • Horse obedience western

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
  #1
Started
Question What discipline do you think has the most well-trained/obedient horses?

And why?





I'm just curious : ]
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-03-2010, 09:18 PM
  #2
Yearling
Dressage horses are the most well-trained for dressage,
Eventing horses are the most well-trained for eventing,
Reining horses are the most well-trained for reining,
Trail horses are the most well-trained for trails,
Etc.
You cannot accurately state that one discipline has more obedient or more well-trained horses than the other.
     
    03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
  #3
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro    
dressage horses are the most well-trained for dressage,
Eventing horses are the most well-trained for eventing,
Reining horses are the most well-trained for reining,
Trail horses are the most well-trained for trails,
Etc.
You cannot accurately state that one discipline has more obedient or more well-trained horses than the other.
Well, I know that. But there are still some disciplines that have more overall more obedient horses that others. For example, nobody's going to reply and say barrel racing or TB racing. Those disciplines still have horses that are amazing at what they do, but they aren't generally as obedient as, say, a reiner or a WP horse. I'm not looking for scientific facts and statistics... just opinions based on experiences.

I didn't mean which disciplines have horses that are better at their job. I mean which ones have horses that will do ANYTHING you say at any given time? Ever ridden a polo pony? That's what I mean.

Sorry for not being clear enough.
     
    03-03-2010, 09:34 PM
  #4
Trained
I don't think you ca exactly say one horse is more well trained for one discipline than the other, but as for the more well behaved part, I'd say Western.

Reasoning:

A lot of the western sports (Such as reining and pleasure) are also judged on how calm and well mannered your horse is. An irritated horse won't score well. As with english events, I can't really think of one besides Dressage where the horse would get marked down for behaving badly. I mean, jumping horses buck all the time and get excited and it doesn't matter. But then again, english pleasure horses should be well behaved too. I don't think there really is a more "Well behaved" discipline, I just think english horses are naturally more "Hot" per se because the breeds can be hotter, while Western has the more cold blooded breeds. But once again you can look at barrel horses that are like psycho nearly 85% of the time. It just depend on what competition in what discipline you want I suppose.
     
    03-03-2010, 09:42 PM
  #5
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorrelHorse    
I don't think you ca exactly say one horse is more well trained for one discipline than the other, but as for the more well behaved part, I'd say Western.
That's exactly what I meant. I meant "well-trained" in general, not just for a specific discipline. Sorry! I should have been more clear. Thanks for the response : ]
     
    03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
  #6
Yearling
I would also say western and as far as western goes, reiners. But there is well trained horses in every discpline.
BTW your horses are beautiful.
     
    03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
  #7
Green Broke
I generally look more at the individual animal than the discipline... BUT if I had to pickI think pleasure horses (english, hunter, and western pleasure horses) and reiners are the more completely obedient types. They are generally more cool headed and calm and have to give to a riders slightest cue without hesitation. The only reason I do not put dressage horses up there is they are generally hotter horses, though are trained to be just as obedient. These horses are judged based on that willingness and obedience.

Any event where there is speed involved(racing, barrel racing, cross country ect) the horse is more hot natured and more prone to being free willed and such, generally when you add speed horses tend to lose a little of their discipline and absolute obedience.
     
    03-03-2010, 10:09 PM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasia    
I would also say western and as far as western goes, reiners. But there is well trained horses in every discpline.
BTW your horses are beautiful.
Thank you


Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuga    
I generally look more at the individual animal than the discipline... BUT if I had to pickI think pleasure horses (english, hunter, and western pleasure horses) and reiners are the more completely obedient types. They are generally more cool headed and calm and have to give to a riders slightest cue without hesitation. The only reason I do not put dressage horses up there is they are generally hotter horses, though are trained to be just as obedient. These horses are judged based on that willingness and obedience.

Any event where there is speed involved(racing, barrel racing, cross country ect) the horse is more hot natured and more prone to being free willed and such, generally when you add speed horses tend to lose a little of their discipline and absolute obedience.
Thanks for your input. I feel the same way as you do about reiners... I really posted this thread because I wanted to see if anybody else felt that way or if I was just biased, haha. Thanks again : ]
     
    03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
  #9
Showing
Reiners are very well trained, some of them are a little over-trained IMO. I honestly don't think there is a more broke or well trained horse out there than a ranch horse that is ridden by a true ranch hand. They can still do all the things a reining horse can do but are generally more calm and have been exposed to a whole lot more. That's the horse you can ride to gather a bunch of wild cattle out of rough country and then throw your kid on and let them ride around town. Are they the most well trained of all the horse world? No, but you can bet I would pay more for a good broke ranch horse than any other horse out there.
     
    03-03-2010, 10:25 PM
  #10
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs    
...I honestly don't think there is a more broke or well trained horse out there than a ranch horse that is ridden by a true ranch hand. They can still do all the things a reining horse can do but are generally more calm and have been exposed to a whole lot more. That's the horse you can ride to gather a bunch of wild cattle out of rough country and then throw your kid on and let them ride around town. Are they the most well trained of all the horse world? No, but you can bet I would pay more for a good broke ranch horse than any other horse out there.
I agree with this 100%. Our lead mare was a working ranch penner and is the most willing, do anything, go anywhere, calm horse that I've ever ridden. You never have to push her... when working, she's all business and seems to actually enjoy her work.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How well trained are these horses? smrobs Draft Horses 10 02-14-2010 04:06 PM
What is Your Discipline? SeeinSpotz Horse Training 27 11-17-2009 08:18 PM
Resisent Free Trained Horses, HELP ME?! JustLeaveIt2Mya Horse Training 64 07-16-2009 01:01 AM
What discipline? LoveXMyXHorse Horse Riding 16 02-28-2009 09:54 AM
Wanted: Calm well trained horses and their riders ivyschex Horse Shows 0 03-07-2008 03:23 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0