What discipline do you think has the most well-trained/obedient horses? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 60 Old 03-04-2010, 12:12 PM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique View Post
Well, I know that. But there are still some disciplines that have more overall more obedient horses that others. For example, nobody's going to reply and say barrel racing or TB racing. Those disciplines still have horses that are amazing at what they do, but they aren't generally as obedient as, say, a reiner or a WP horse. I'm not looking for scientific facts and statistics... just opinions based on experiences.
I disagree.

Just because a horse is competing in a more 'go' event does not make them less 'obedient'.
mls is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 60 Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: alberta
Posts: 2,747
• Horses: 1
i think its more a question of the handlers. i have met the most laid back racehorses, but when they got on the track they ran like the wind. Ranchorses: the handlers are usually relaxed and laid back, like 'nothins goin on here' then they have to go rope a cow and the rider is totally focused on the cow right? well, that helps the hrose focus a lot more too. so i think it doesnt really matter what discipline, IMO its more the handlers and riders.

If there are no horses in heaven... im not going.
ridergirl23 is offline  
post #23 of 60 Old 03-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maui
Posts: 899
• Horses: 0
I feel Obedience and Trained are different. Obedience depending a lot on the breed and nature of the horse; and Training depending more on intelligence. Of course this gets mixed up, but I'm thinking of the cutting horse who works on his own (intelligence) and the trail horse who will go anywhere you want (good nature). And how else can you explain Anky's gold-medalist horse bolting and running away with her?
Beling is offline  
post #24 of 60 Old 03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
I think more what she is asking is what discipline puts out a horse who can do many other events will little to no more training. In Western events I have found that to be reining horses. Their basic training is so complete that it is very easy to go into anouther event and do that quite well. Will you win at a high level in the other event?? Probable not however you will not look out of place or funny.

I have reiners who have gone into the reined cow horse (NRCHA) events with no extra training and win. Have finished quite high in the reginals. Those same horses do quite well in Western Riding and trail. They also all trail ride. They have been roped off of and some have even done speed events and won money doing it.

I think if you look at several different events and then say pull out one of those horses with in that event then put them into anouther event can that horse do that new event with little to no extra training?

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #25 of 60 Old 03-04-2010, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
I disagree.

Just because a horse is competing in a more 'go' event does not make them less 'obedient'.
I never said it's just because they're competing in a go event. Are you trying to say you think TB racehorses and barrel racers are typically very obedient?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beling View Post
I feel Obedience and Trained are different. Obedience depending a lot on the breed and nature of the horse; and Training depending more on intelligence. Of course this gets mixed up, but I'm thinking of the cutting horse who works on his own (intelligence) and the trail horse who will go anywhere you want (good nature). And how else can you explain Anky's gold-medalist horse bolting and running away with her?
Yeah, I totally agree with you. I really meant to say "well-behaved," not "well-trained."


Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
I think more what she is asking is what discipline puts out a horse who can do many other events will little to no more training. In Western events I have found that to be reining horses. Their basic training is so complete that it is very easy to go into anouther event and do that quite well. Will you win at a high level in the other event?? Probable not however you will not look out of place or funny.

I have reiners who have gone into the reined cow horse (NRCHA) events with no extra training and win. Have finished quite high in the reginals. Those same horses do quite well in Western Riding and trail. They also all trail ride. They have been roped off of and some have even done speed events and won money doing it.

I think if you look at several different events and then say pull out one of those horses with in that event then put them into anouther event can that horse do that new event with little to no extra training?
Yeah, that's sort of what I meant. Thanks for your input : ]
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #26 of 60 Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 655
• Horses: 3
I'm going to go a completely different direction here and say vaulting horses. Just trained to be lunged in a circle. Hard to mess that one up!


(disclaimer- as I have never vaulted, I have no idea what is expected of vaulting horses)
ptvintage is offline  
post #27 of 60 Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 655
• Horses: 3
After careful deliberation, this is my real answer.

The obedience of the horse is in direct relation to their trainer, not the job that's being asked. Any horse can be obedient if the trainer takes the time and effort to make sure the horse understand that is required. Of course there are always variables in the equation, such as the horse being physically unable to perform. Some horses can be more difficult that others, but I believe that is more of a case by case basis, not a genre of riding. I won't go on and on about that though, since this thread isn't about what makes up great trainers.

Another thing to note- certain breeds of horses are more suited to certain sports. For example, the reason for obedient horses in western pleasure could be that a lot of them are quarter horses, which for the most part are a calmer breed.
ptvintage is offline  
post #28 of 60 Old 03-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,613
• Horses: 0
No matter what the discipline, the best trained horses are the ones that go bridless.
ponyboy is offline  
post #29 of 60 Old 03-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Duloc (From Shrek)
Posts: 291
• Horses: 2
Hmmm...probably trail horses. They have to not spook at alot of things. And be ridden for a long perood of time. Dressage horses would be a close second. Because they have a lot of commands and moves to learn. C:

Good people get cheated, just as good horses get ridden
jiblethead is offline  
post #30 of 60 Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,348
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beling View Post
And how else can you explain Anky's gold-medalist horse bolting and running away with her?
Anky is in no way a proper representative of dressage. This cannot be blamed on the sport. It is unjust to judge the obedience of dressage horses based only on one competitive rider. Her horse being flighty is no one's fault but her own.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are certain and the intelligent are full of doubt"
-Bertrand Russel
roro is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How well trained are these horses? smrobs Draft Horses 10 02-14-2010 04:06 PM
What is Your Discipline? SeeinSpotz Horse Training 27 11-17-2009 08:18 PM
Resisent Free Trained Horses, HELP ME?! JustLeaveIt2Mya Horse Training 64 07-16-2009 01:01 AM
What discipline? LoveXMyXHorse Horse Riding 16 02-28-2009 09:54 AM
Wanted: Calm well trained horses and their riders ivyschex Horse Shows 0 03-07-2008 03:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome