My boss has a 5 year old son who's dream is to ride a horse. And since I have horses she asked if, come Spring, I would be willing to give him a ride.
Without thinking I agreed.
So now I have to figure out who to use. Yes, I'm very early on figuring this out, but I have nothing better to do so...
Out of the three horses at my barn, I have to pick between two. Sonny and Nick.
Hopefully you can help me decide.
So here we go. Sonny
- 18 years old
- 15.3 hh
- Quarter horse
- I know him
- 95% of the time he's an angel
- 5% of the time he's a squirrel
- I know how to settle him down and get him to work
- He lunges well
- Probably a 4 on the temperament scale
- I trust him 100%
- He leads like a dream
- Barrel horse
- I know every possibility of how he'll react to everything
- Have owned him for 4 years Nick
- 7 years old
- 16 hh
- Quarter horse
- He's our rescue that is getting up to weight. He's just in need of muscle currently
- I have it on good authority that he is a sweetheart
- He's very friendly
- He has yet to be misbehave
- Probably a 2 on the temperament scale
- I don't have a basis of trust yet as I haven't worked with him much
- He also leads like a dream
- Western Pleasure horse
- He was a 8 year old's show horse in the past and is a perfect beginner horse (so they say)
- Have owned him for 4 months
Which would you use?
My concern with Sonny is what if he decides to be a butt while the kid is on him? I will be leading him around the pasture but I don't want him to decide to have a Sonny moment.
My concern with Nick is that I don't know him very well and what if he's not actually as sweet as they say.
Naturally we're going to see how they are come Spring, but if you had to pick right now which horse to use for this ride, which would you use?
We have a saddle for someone his size so there's no issue with that. I also will probably work whoever I choose for a few minutes before throwing the kid up on him.
Which would you use? If you had to pick today.