Why do you ride without a helmet?
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Horse Riding

Why do you ride without a helmet?

This is a discussion on Why do you ride without a helmet? within the Horse Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Toddler riding horse without helmet
  • Riding a horse without a helmet

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-21-2010, 03:41 AM
  #1
Started
Question Why do you ride without a helmet?

I've often wondered why the helmetless are so; do tell!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-21-2010, 03:51 AM
  #2
Yearling
I ride WITH a helmet because its a habit. Last time I rode shad I forgot to put it on, I couldnt be bothered to go back and get it. Felt weird though, having nothing on my head.

I don't have a problem with people riding without a helment, its their body, therfore their choice. (im talking adults here, kids on the otherhand I believe should always wear a helmet)
You see top dressage riders without a helmet, just a top hat or whatever, no one complains about that, western riders in cowboy hats, akubras etc..
I don't really care if someones not wearing a helmet.

This didnt really answer your question sorry..
I could kind of see where this is going and atm I've seen so much net bashing over people not wearing helmets lol
     
    05-21-2010, 04:17 AM
  #3
Weanling
I ride with helmet cause like thatninjahorse said its a habit lol one time I almost didn't wear it and I got yelled at by my instruter and she waz on the other side of the ranch i'm like o_O how is that possible... although my helmet is bright pink its hard to miss I know this dosen't anwser ur question either but this might people who don't where helmets don't wear either cause of outfits like a western thing and they want a cowboy hat or they trust their horse alot or they r just really dare devilish or confident lol that's what I think
     
    05-21-2010, 07:25 AM
  #4
Yearling
I ride with my helmet 85% of the time. The other 15% is just because Im lazy or its an emergency. But I am interested why some people don't?
     
    05-21-2010, 07:49 AM
  #5
Yearling
My helmet saved my from a fractured skull one time, that's why :] I got a severe concussion WITH the helmet on because the force of impact on my head was so extreme, imagine without?
     
    05-21-2010, 08:03 AM
  #6
Green Broke
I don't usually, because it's habit and I don't even have one right now but plan to get one. I keep thinking I should get in the habit, but never have since I was a kid. When I learned to ride only hunters/jumpers wore helmets, or you wore one when you showed, and I didn't do either so I think that's where the habit came from.

Now when I wear one, I feel really confined, claustrophobic and HOT ha ha. And yes, I've been tossed through a wood rail fence and ended up in the hospital and yet it still doesn't make me wear one. I eventually want to try Cinny over fences though, so I'd better buy one and get used to it lol.
     
    05-21-2010, 08:28 AM
  #7
Super Moderator
It's all part of Dawin's plan of survival of the fittest (or helmeted).
     
    05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
  #8
Showing
^you mean Darwin?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
  #9
Banned
I don't and wont and it is my choice.
     
    05-21-2010, 10:42 AM
  #10
Super Moderator
Currently, I don't ride with a helmet most of the time because I'm dumb and I seem to enjoy mocking Murphy's Law.

It's actually mostly because I haven't fallen off of Lacey in 2 years, even back when she would try her hardest to get me off, so I'm starting to feel dangerously safe. However, whenever I ride on the road, on the trail, or when I go to camp and ride there, I always wear my helmet. There are too many trees/roots/asphalt just asking me to bash my head into them and I don't want to test Murphy THAT much.

But yeah, it's basically because I'm dumb and evidently want to die. Hahaha

Also, I've fallen while wearing my helmet enough times that I'm pretty sure I really should get a new one. So, possibly if I was wearing my helmet it wouldn't do me much good...
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Helmet kchfuller Horse Tack and Equipment 11 02-17-2010 12:23 PM
My new helmet! Whipple Horse Tack and Equipment 11 02-23-2009 10:41 PM
Helmet Cheval Horse Tack and Equipment 4 03-22-2008 01:44 PM
helmet vs no helmet jazzyrider Horse Talk 37 12-28-2007 08:07 PM
I Need a New Helmet! BKWhisper Horse Tack and Equipment 5 10-01-2007 10:50 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0