Colors for showing Hunter under saddle - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 91
• Horses: 3
Colors for showing Hunter under saddle

I keep getting conflicting advise on color for HUS & Jumping

My daughter is just starting out,we are primarily doing schooling type shows, but would like to know what are the approporiate colors for A-rated shows.

We currently have tan Jods & tan breeches. Navy coat, med blue striped shirt. She has brown paddock boots. Black fuzzy cover for her helmet.

anyone???


thanks in advance

Lets go Buffalo!!!!!!!
HayburnerHeights is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NEPA
Posts: 242
• Horses: 0
I would get a whitte shirt, plain and classic.
Even when its 100 degrees and they let you take the jacket off I was always told to wear a long sleeved shirt.

Black boots would be better, depending on how old and tall she is you may want to invest in tall boots (feild boots)... but they are pretty expensive if your on a budget.
IllComeALopin is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
If your daughter is younger and will be showing in her paddock boots with her jods the brown paddock boots will be fine. You need to get a set of garter straps to go with them.

Link to Garter Straps

Her shirt sounds fine, colored shirts are common and though white is classic it is not seen that much. I agree that longs sleeves are a must. The cuff of your shirt should show slightly at the wrist from under your coat sleeve. Navy coat is classic and fine.

The only thing I am not sure about is the black fuzzy helmet cover. Do you have a hard plastic (troxel type) helmet and you are trying to give it a velvet look?
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,289
• Horses: 0
Whether or not you move up from paddock boots to tall boots depends on the age of the child, whether she's on a horse or a pony, and the division she's showing in. These days, it is very, very rare to see jods and paddock boots on a rider on a horse, thought technically there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I do agree with the comment that garter straps are a must if wearing jods.

I used to tell parents that when kids moved out of training bras and into a real bra was the time to move to tall boots. Something disconcerting about pigtails, paddock boots and boobs.

Her clothing sounds fine to me. Hunter classes are conservative, and it's best if you stick with traditional, conservative colors. A plain, white, long sleeved shirt is fine, as is a subtle pinstripe, or a light blue, pink or gray.

I agree with the comment about the helmet and helmet cover. Also, if showing a pony, and in jods and paddock boots, pig tails are fine. If showing a horse, or in tall boots, hair should be secured neatly in a hair net. PLEASE invest in the best quality helmet that you can afford; not something to skimp on. It's a great idea to have one helmet for the barn and schooling, and another for showing. Keep the show helmet packed in it's own case or box; and wipe out the inside with a disinfectant wipe at the end of the show and before putting it away; it keeps the lining from rotting.

If she's showing in Jumpers (as opposed to Hunter over Fences, I wasn't sure from your description) her clothing is still fine. Other riders will be wearing brighter colors and flashier oufits, but tan jods and a navy jacket will cover most riding situations she's likely to be in.

Later on in her career, you'll hear a lot of discusstion about what colors look best on a bay, gray or chestnut, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Good luck, and Happy Show Season!
maura is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 91
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
If your daughter is younger and will be showing in her paddock boots with her jods the brown paddock boots will be fine. You need to get a set of garter straps to go with them.

Link to Garter Straps

Her shirt sounds fine, colored shirts are common and though white is classic it is not seen that much. I agree that longs sleeves are a must. The cuff of your shirt should show slightly at the wrist from under your coat sleeve. Navy coat is classic and fine.

The only thing I am not sure about is the black fuzzy helmet cover. Do you have a hard plastic (troxel type) helmet and you are trying to give it a velvet look?
She has a Tippery helmet thats shiney blue

Lets go Buffalo!!!!!!!
HayburnerHeights is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 91
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
Whether or not you move up from paddock boots to tall boots depends on the age of the child, whether she's on a horse or a pony, and the division she's showing in. These days, it is very, very rare to see jods and paddock boots on a rider on a horse, thought technically there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I do agree with the comment that garter straps are a must if wearing jods.

I used to tell parents that when kids moved out of training bras and into a real bra was the time to move to tall boots. Something disconcerting about pigtails, paddock boots and boobs.

Her clothing sounds fine to me. Hunter classes are conservative, and it's best if you stick with traditional, conservative colors. A plain, white, long sleeved shirt is fine, as is a subtle pinstripe, or a light blue, pink or gray.

I agree with the comment about the helmet and helmet cover. Also, if showing a pony, and in jods and paddock boots, pig tails are fine. If showing a horse, or in tall boots, hair should be secured neatly in a hair net. PLEASE invest in the best quality helmet that you can afford; not something to skimp on. It's a great idea to have one helmet for the barn and schooling, and another for showing. Keep the show helmet packed in it's own case or box; and wipe out the inside with a disinfectant wipe at the end of the show and before putting it away; it keeps the lining from rotting.

If she's showing in Jumpers (as opposed to Hunter over Fences, I wasn't sure from your description) her clothing is still fine. Other riders will be wearing brighter colors and flashier oufits, but tan jods and a navy jacket will cover most riding situations she's likely to be in.

Later on in her career, you'll hear a lot of discusstion about what colors look best on a bay, gray or chestnut, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Good luck, and Happy Show Season!
We are still probably at least a year away from any Rated shows as our horses are no where near ready yet! I just don't want her looking "out of place" when we go to the local/fun/schooling type shows

I am assuming she will be showing more Hunter at this point, but I really don't know. I think it will depend on where her horse goes with its re-training (its a sweet OTTB, but still a OTTB! LOL)

she just turned 13 yesterday so she is still growing a lot. She has a decent helmet. We will upgrade it at some point, but its still in good shape and it wasn't a dime store helmet. I agree with protecting the head with something decent!

Lets go Buffalo!!!!!!!
HayburnerHeights is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Breinigsville, PA
Posts: 808
• Horses: 0
Unfortunately, at 13 and showing on a TB, (I'm assuming he is over 14.2 h), she should really be in breeches and field boots. There are great finds on ebay and lots of local tack shops for inexpensive used boots.

Quote:
Smart people listen. Not so smart people think they do not need to hear what others have to say.
luvmyperch is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 91
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyperch View Post
Unfortunately, at 13 and showing on a TB, (I'm assuming he is over 14.2 h), she should really be in breeches and field boots. There are great finds on ebay and lots of local tack shops for inexpensive used boots.
She hates the tall boots as she can't get them on. I'll end up having to buy the zipper ones ($$) and I won't do that until her feet quit growing.
I have a pair of tall boots that were mine (no laces) and she can't/won't get them on her feet (my feet are slightly larger than hers)

Lets go Buffalo!!!!!!!
HayburnerHeights is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
See if you can find a pair of used tall boots that you can buy for less money.

At her age and on a full size horse you really need tall boots.

There are some very inexpensive models out there.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 06-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 822
• Horses: 0
l couldn't tell from your posts, but if you're only doing schooling shows and a couple small shows, you may want to consider leather half chaps. A lot of them look similar to tall boots, the prices can (not always!) make them a more economical choice, and at small shows you might be able to get away with leather half chaps. l second Alwaysbehind- look for used ones online and in stores. My instructor offered to sell me her old Ariats, and the price was really good- way less than if you were to buy them new. Ask around and see what you can find! You may get a good deal on some quality used boots. Used is definitely the way to go in my book :)


anrz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BT Crump CC Hunter Saddle 16.5 Mehtala09 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 04-27-2010 07:32 PM
**must go! Hunter ap saddle set for sale** Horseychick94 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 6 03-23-2010 01:25 PM
Jumping and Hunter Under Saddle? Western1992 Horse Riding 1 03-22-2010 06:10 PM
Hunter Under Saddle?? ShannonSevenfold English Riding 6 01-07-2009 06:55 PM
Does this saddle look ok for trail or should it be used just for showing/parade? charroit Horse Tack and Equipment 13 12-09-2008 11:34 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome